Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Car, guardrail , River

Fiance, hiking, 12” paste

That might be a top 2 or 3 meltdown for you when you saw the pics of Megan and I hiking in the paste bomb landscape. Then you almost deleted your account when round 2 came through the next day and dropped another 4" of paste and it was 33F and rain there when it looked like it should have been cold enough for snow.

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That might be a top 2 or 3 meltdown for you when you saw the pics of Megan and I hiking in the paste bomb landscape. Then you almost deleted your account when round 2 came through the next day and dropped another 4" of paste and it was 33F and rain there when it looked like it should have been cold enough for snow.

Oh that was #1. No doubt about it. I lost it. Came home after driving in 33-34 rain and saw the pics and flipped out. Remember it like it was yesterday. Threw the remote across the room into the couch among other things. 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Oh that was #1. No doubt about it. I lost it. Came home after driving in 33-34 rain and saw the pics and flipped out. Remember it like it was yesterday. Threw the remote across the room into the couch among other things. 

Your kids learned all the swear words that day...just like when Scooter's kid learned them before the Jan 2015 blizzard....he completely trashed his basement because the Jan 24th storm was going to ruin the chance at the big one. Thankfully, James Nichols knocked some sense into him letting him know the gulf stream would save us.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Your kids learned all the swear words that day...just like when Scooter's kid learned them before the Jan 2015 blizzard....he completely trashed his basement because the Jan 24th storm was going to ruin the chance at the big one. Thankfully, James Nichols knocked some sense into him letting him know the gulf stream would save us.

He actually reproduced?? Lord help us.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

LOL, and then Ginx talking about how it's ok going on a toboggan run with 1" of snow on the ground prior to 1/24. That almost put me over the edge. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

MLK2010.jpg

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

WTF are you talking about?

Gotta watch those Jersey guys.  (Said with affection, plus egg, cheese, and Taylor ham on a bagel.)  I was almost 27 when we moved from NNJ to Maine.

The second half of 2008-09 was much better than the first half here in interior ECNJ. The norlun event of 2/3/09 produced 6.3" here, and the March 2nd coastal storm jackpotted me with 13.5". There was a stripe of 8-12", locally 12"+ up through eastern NJ and into Long Island. Overall, 2008-09 ended up almost exactly normal as far as snowfall in the CNJ/NENJ region, and with plentiful arctic outbreaks, I'd rate it as a decent winter. We were essentially straddling the "horrid" winter to the south over the Mid-Atlantic/DCA-PHL, and the excellent winter immediately north in New England.

1st half had more snow, thanks to the Dec. 21-22 blizzard and a couple nice events in January, but the death band of Feb. 22-23 (9" in 2:45, 18" in 7:30) is the most intense snowfall of my experience - 20-minute snow squalls can't compete - and brought snow depth briefly to 50-51", though the "official" obs at 9 PM was 49", still the tallest I've had here.  Too bad March was a fail in the foothills; the forecast 8-12" for 3/2 verified at 5.6" at my place, just 3.3" in Farmington, and winter was cooked - neither location had anything bigger than 1" the rest of the way.

54 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Gotta watch those Jersey guys.  (Said with affection, plus egg, cheese, and Taylor ham on a bagel.)  I was almost 27 when we moved from NNJ to Maine.

The second half of 2008-09 was much better than the first half here in interior ECNJ. The norlun event of 2/3/09 produced 6.3" here, and the March 2nd coastal storm jackpotted me with 13.5". There was a stripe of 8-12", locally 12"+ up through eastern NJ and into Long Island. Overall, 2008-09 ended up almost exactly normal as far as snowfall in the CNJ/NENJ region, and with plentiful arctic outbreaks, I'd rate it as a decent winter. We were essentially straddling the "horrid" winter to the south over the Mid-Atlantic/DCA-PHL, and the excellent winter immediately north in New England.

1st half had more snow, thanks to the Dec. 21-22 blizzard and a couple nice events in January, but the death band of Feb. 22-23 (9" in 2:45, 18" in 7:30) is the most intense snowfall of my experience - 20-minute snow squalls can't compete - and brought snow depth briefly to 50-51", though the "official" obs at 9 PM was 49", still the tallest I've had here.  Too bad March was a fail in the foothills; the forecast 8-12" for 3/2 verified at 5.6" at my place, just 3.3" in Farmington, and winter was cooked - neither location had anything bigger than 1" the rest of the way.

I’m from NJ. Born there and moved to CT at age 7.

Ronny seems like he’s got issues 

2 minutes ago, SimeonNC said:

I'm sorry but I started laughing out loud when I read this, I don't think I ever had a meltdown but I was pretty miffed last year when mby was forecasted to get 6-10" of snow only for it to turn into a sleetfest. Also, hi from the Southeastern board :P

I’ve had many snow meltdowns. Some in private and some online. In fact, there’s probably several per winter lol

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

LOL you became a true believer that month you and Bruce Willis

Bruce Willis was really March 2015...all those systems where the QPF was trying to get into SNE with north-northwesterly 850mb winds of like 40 knots. I think the south coast/Cape jacked on one of those events. I remember the models had several tenths QPF into the pike region and we didn't see a flake.

Scooter was definitely pessimistic in Jan 2015 though once that 1/24 system was going to happen. Never quite seen him melt like that...thought he was going to travel down to Moosup and break your wooden flexible flyer sled when talking about sledding on 2 inches of snow.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Bruce Willis was really March 2015...all those systems where the QPF was trying to get into SNE with north-northwesterly 850mb winds of like 40 knots. I think the south coast/Cape jacked on one of those events. I remember the models had several tenths QPF into the pike region and we didn't see a flake.

Scooter was definitely pessimistic in Jan 2015 though once that 1/24 system was going to happen. Never quite seen him melt like that...thought he was going to travel down to Moosup and break your wooden flexible flyer sled when talking about sledding on 2 inches of snow.

His anger was palatable, throwing Christmas sleds at the fence, screaming I need to get the F out of here and move to a place where it snows. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol I remember that one.   .1 at 850

And everyone the day before was talking about how nice it was that it was 48F outside instead of 40F...they didn't want the 850 temps to be -3C instead. The car felt a lot warmer.

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

And everyone the day before was talking about how nice it was that it was 48F outside instead of 40F...they didn't want the 850 temps to be -3C instead. The car felt a lot warmer.

Yup. Tip needed to crack the window for the first few minutes of the drive to cool it off before his chat with Harv 

Everyone has at least one...mine was March 2010 during the 34F rainstorm.

I had one earlier this January. Raleigh-Durham had a major snow gradient, with 12 inches of snow falling near Durham and an inch of sleet falling 20 miles to southeast of it (where I was). To make things worse, all of my meteorology classmates saw at least 4 inches. I was livid for a month when we got back to Asheville for spring semester.

21 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

I had one earlier this January. Raleigh-Durham had a major snow gradient, with 12 inches of snow falling near Durham and an inch of sleet falling 20 miles to southeast of it (where I was). To make things worse, all of my meteorology classmates saw at least 4 inches. I was livid for a month when we got back to Asheville for spring semester.

Living up here now it won't take you long to get use to getting screwed on these events after the 4th or 5th one.......................:lol:

Everyone has at least one...mine was March 2010 during the 34F rainstorm.

I managed two in one storm in late Feb. 2010.  First was while trying to move 8" of white cement (10" of 4:1 glop followed by 1"+ of 34F RA, LE nearly 3") with a snow scoop, while knowing that NYC was in a mid-20s snowicane.  2nd one came later when I checked cocorahs and saw the observer from Temple - 10 miles west and perhaps 250' higher - had reported 26.4".  We were only 3-5F from a repeat of what had hit the area exactly 41 years earlier, which only intensified the feeling.  Having gone flake-free from 3 KUs already that winter did not help.

Archived