joxey
Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

2011-12?

That was awful in BTV...only had some moments in the upslope hamlets of the Greens. More of a mesoscale fluke than actually being good across the northern tier...because it sucked in NH/ME too.

I'd say the winters that were good up north but pretty dodgy/crummy down south were in descending chronological order:

2006-2007 (extreme backloaded obviously, but much of NNE managed above average snow while basically nobody south of central NE saw normal or better)

1973-1974 (more of a NW to SE gradient...as it sucked in Maine too and it sucked in SNE while was very good in N VT)

1953-1954 (more like average in NNE but horrendous down in SNE)

You can see they aren't very common though. Usually when NNE cleans up, CNE/SNE are not getting completely screwed...either they are also cleaning up or at least holding their own around average.

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was awful in BTV...only had some moments in the upslope hamlets of the Greens. More of a mesoscale fluke than actually being good across the northern tier...because it sucked in NH/ME too.

I'd say the winters that were good up north but pretty dodgy/crummy down south were in descending chronological order:

2006-2007 (extreme backloaded obviously, but much of NNE managed above average snow while basically nobody south of central NE saw normal or better)

1973-1974 (more of a NW to SE gradient...as it sucked in Maine too and it sucked in SNE while was very good in N VT)

1953-1954 (more like average in NNE but horrendous down in SNE)

You can see they aren't very common though. Usually when NNE cleans up, CNE/SNE are not getting completely screwed...either they are also cleaning up or at least holding their own around average.

One Nina in that group right?  And 2006-07 (robust Niño) had an element of bad luck.

45 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Only took all of summer for some semblance of a SE ridge to show up but now it shall remain the rest of fall and winter?  The only worry i would have is in the Bering sea region where we all know can be problematic at times.

Sounds like you are guaranteeing a cold and snowy winter, too.

Lock it up-

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Eh, To early for that right now but i would not go lower then an avg one here right now, There is nothing to support not having at least that ATM.

Apparently pointing out a dearth of evidence in support of someone else's claim is equivalent to issuing an outlook to the contrary. :lol:

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Apparently pointing out a dearth of evidence in support of someone else's claim is equivalent to issuing an outlook to the contrary. :lol:

To some it is, Yes, Seems like things get taken out of context or adjusted to support or counter ones thoughts.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Has there ever been a winter that was good from BTV north and ratted to the south?

There has to be winters where southern Canada did well and New England didn't.  That type of St Lawerance Valley track winter.

Basically look at above normal snow in Montreal and see if any were crappy at Boston.  2006-07 comes to mind.  There has to be others that were good in Montreal and poor in Boston/PVD/BDL.

2011-12 was poor snow year in these areas BUT not as bad as it was elsewhere.  90" here vs 120" type average in town.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There has to be winters where southern Canada did well and New England didn't.  That type of St Lawerance Valley track winter.

Didn't the North Shore and points north do better in 2015-16?  I know CAR came in at 80%+, not all that good but way ahead of the 30-50% stuff in the mid-latitude parts of NNE.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Didn't the North Shore and points north do better in 2015-16?  I know CAR came in at 80%+, not all that good but way ahead of the 30-50% stuff in the mid-latitude parts of NNE.

That's right...I don't know how the totals were up north but they had a bunch of big storms that winter north of the Saint Lawrence.  

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Basically look at above normal snow in Montreal and see if any were crappy at Boston.  2006-07 comes to mind.  There has to be others that were good in Montreal and poor in Boston/PVD/BDL.

2011-12 was poor snow year in these areas BUT not as bad as it was elsewhere.  90" here vs 120" type average in town.

Rarer than I thought actually...hard to find big winters in NNE while SNE had a total ratter.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49653-countdown-to-winter-2017-2018-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4638692

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Rarer than I thought actually...hard to find big winters in NNE while SNE had a total ratter.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49653-countdown-to-winter-2017-2018-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4638692

I think 1972-73 was headed in that direction, but it died in NNE after a very snowy Dec, while remaining awful farther south.

Archived