Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

2 minutes ago, tazaroo said:

I know some of you are still doing great with the snow but the cc line keeps moving NW and is approaching Guilford and already in Alamance County.  Way farther than I thought it was suppose to.  I guess its a sleetfest for Randolph county.  The  NWS still had me in there 10" graphic a 1 am.  no way unless it continues all day tomorrow. 

That's what I was worried about earlier today it Always seems to change to IP/ZR when it comes to Greensboro... :(

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been snow on radar at my house since 8:45 but I've had nothing but heavy rain. I've been under every convective band moving n/e. I've been in the sweetest of sweet spots but climo really kicked my a** tonight. It really is a shame. On a brighter note, I'll be driving 4 miles up the road tmrw to Greenville where they're currently getting slobber knockered. 

13 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

I can vouch and I know it sounds like exaggerating but man its just ripping fatties. Has to be 2 inch per hr rates or darn close.

Like you said earlier, no going to bed on this one

9 minutes ago, rduwx said:

I'm happy for ya Grit!!!  You've put your time in on this storm and deserve to see some great snow rates!

Man, I've put more into this storm than any single storm, ever.  I remember laying in bed one night waiting for the Euro Ensembles to come out, lol, thinking, man, I think this one is going to work out, but the models just weren't quite coming around...ha

8 minutes ago, qwertyu said:

I am in Shelby NC, just west of you, and it has been remarkable! We have basically in the bulls eye with this since about 9:30! We're getting hammered!!!

Glad to hear it is not just me

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

Here are a couple of videos.  I know it looks like fake heavy snow because it is blowing off of my roof, lol, but video doesn't do it justice....and I'm just going from my experience here...this is right up there for me.  This isn't Cape Cod lol.

It looks like a snow tornado. A snownado !

7 minutes ago, griteater said:

Here are a couple of videos.  I know it looks like fake heavy snow because it is blowing off of my roof, lol, but video doesn't do it justice....and I'm just going from my experience here...this is right up there for me.  This isn't Cape Cod lol.

I know awesome video! 

1 minute ago, SoCoWx said:

So, serious question, is the whole jackpot over southeastern Virginia thing a no-go now? Or is it still game on? I'm confused.

Looks like it will be NW of Norfolk back down to about Roxboro, warm nose means business.  Transition is now starting to take a more east-west orientation as it is lifting north.  I can't remember a Miller A with SN IP ZR zones like this.

18 minutes ago, EmersonGA said:

We had 2" of fluffy snow before the sleet began to dominate again. It poured sleet enough to bury my footsteps and now it is finishing off as graupel. 24/23. We have somewhere around 2.5" if I had to guess and everything is good and covered. Should be good sledding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We never could go all snow for an extended period of time. Sleet dominated and was always present the whole night. Oh what could have been. We ended up somewhere around 1" or maybe 1.5" of snow/sleet crust.  

FFC is gonna take some heat on this bust.

1 minute ago, griteater said:

It's gotten heavier now.  There's no doubt in my mind now that this is the heaviest rates I've ever seen.  There are flying locusts out there.  I caught a flake that was bigger than a silver dollar 

Indeed... same here, this heavy band has setup shop around 85 in Gaston, Cherokee, and North Meck.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=gsp&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

44 minutes ago, griteater said:

Like you said earlier, no going to bed on this one

Man, I've put more into this storm than any single storm, ever.  I remember laying in bed one night waiting for the Euro Ensembles to come out, lol, thinking, man, I think this one is going to work out, but the models just weren't quite coming around...ha

Glad to hear it is not just me

This is a cinder block sitting in front of my building for a step. Everybody know what size a cinder block is, so this is a good reference... and it's still coming down!!!

IMG_20170107_020602899.jpg

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived