Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem II!

SR Airglow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I know this is a no-no but the day 10 EURO is one of the oddest things you'll see in January.

Canada is quite warm with +3C to +5C H85s near James Bay...while the core of the cold of -6C over the mid-Atlantic.

Weird looking for sure.  With that High in Canada though it looks like that's probably some crazy inversion of warmth aloft.

It's actually just a perturbed version of the previous cycle for that time range - very similar actually to the previous 12z run from yesterday.

The take away is that the flow is in flux - yee haw..   10 C words for changing...

If/when the models are going to put out charts that seem like a scenario that can't really happen ... it is during these change intervals when that is most likely to happen.  Once in a blue moon the exotic transpires, sure - but knowledgeable experienced weather betters never nickel that sort of thing.

What I think is interesting is that the NAO is progged to ... "tank" is too strong of a word, but, definitely passing into/through a negative mode phase state in the GEFs.  I looked at the individual members and only 1 ... 1 of them looked like the 00z operational Euro, with the extreme west based NAO not only west, but S with a ridge node near Ontario like that. Most do have the negative NAO appeal, as is also calculated at both CDC and CPC... The EPS does so, too. 

As we know, the NAO is notoriously hard to predict ...  But during phase change?  I'd go ahead a call that "can't" predict...  Tongue-in-cheek aside, I think a -NAO is something we are going to have to deal with during (particularly) the last 10 days of the month (whether it last that whole time or not...); and the exact circulation construct that results cannot really be ascertained at this range with much skill.  ...That said, I'd hedge bets on the 'west-based' side... There's just too much support from all species of models to assess the probability otherwise.

Now...since west-based NAO has a profounder correlation/modulating influence on the circulation over eastern N/A (particularly from the midriff Mid Atlantic and North...), I find all these ideas that are being bandied about that essentially 86 "all" of January ...to be pretty meaningless.   Fact of the matter is ...a  west based NAO ... of sufficient standard deviation, is an unknown when mapped against the vestigial -PNAP/SE-S height preponderant positive anomaly.  One says suppress the flow, the other tries to lift the core of the westerlies N - so which diametrically opposing signal wins? 

I think the PNA rising is a clue - maybe. The S may lose ... how much ...not sure.  If the PNA succeeds in getting to +1 SD from a beginning of -2 ...that's obviously a total of 3 SD modal change with a mass  field that truly encompasses a HUGE amount of hemispheric space in three dimensions..  It seems that together with a -NAO... S heights would either have to fall, or... they just get pressed S and the flow gets super-anomalously fast ... It would be like fast for a different reason.   Typically a +PNA would tend the heights to relax in the S - I just ...I think there's something else going on though that rolls eyes to mentioned so I won't. 

But even if the strat warm starts happening..the sensible weather affects are delayed a few weeks beyond that time frame...no??  

And that lately seems a lot like voo-doo too.. I mean we here this all the time, and nothing much comes of it it seems.  Give me -epo, -ao and and some blocking, and let's roll the dice.

if the polar vortex splits down the line, on our side of the pole..we'll then I guess that's a bonus for us..but I'm not holding my breath.

22 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

But even if the strat warm starts happening..the sensible weather affects are delayed a few weeks beyond that time frame...no??  

And that lately seems a lot like voo-doo too.. I mean we here this all the time, and nothing much comes of it it seems.  Give me -epo, -ao and and some blocking, and let's roll the dice.

if the polar vortex splits down the line, on our side of the pole..we'll then I guess that's a bonus for us..but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes ... I wrote about the correlation with SSW either in this thread or one of the adjacent one ..

Not sure what 'seems like voo-doo' though - the correlation is clad.

The question is ... is there an SSW?

I'm not sure I see evidence of one. There are warming mass plumes being modeled at the various sigma levels of the stratosphere; I sense there is some leaping to the conclusion of an SSW about ready to take place without much evidence that is the case. 

I've tried to explain over and over, ...but apparently am being ignored:   warming in the stratosphere does not correlated to -AO outside of noise.   Propagating (down-welling) warm anomalies associate with sudden onset significant warm anomaly masses, do.   If this warming people are seeing starts to behave in that fashion, than sure... otherwise, it's a lot of shimmering dialogue signifying nothing -

On 1/12/2017 at 8:08 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Just throwing this out there to see what eventually transpires but our favorite week of the year looks once again to be prime territory for a phase change event. We watch and wait. In the mean time we torch, sucks but it is what it is and with any luck its forgotten

eps_slp_lows_east_46.png

Still think a phase change event looms

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yes ... I wrote about the correlation with SSW either in this thread or one of the adjacent one ..

Not sure what 'seems like voo-doo' though - the correlation is clad.

The question is ... is there an SSW?

I'm not sure I see evidence of one. There are warming mass plumes being modeled at the various sigma levels of the stratosphere; I sense there is some leaping to the conclusion of an SSW about ready to take place without much evidence that is the case. 

I've tried to explain over and over, ...but apparently am being ignored:   warming in the stratosphere does not correlated to -AO outside of noise.   Propagating (down-welling) warm anomalies associate with sudden onset significant warm anomaly masses, do.   If this warming people are seeing starts to behave in that fashion, than sure... otherwise, it's a lot of shimmering dialogue signifying nothing -

I guess what I meant was,  you hear that the stratosphere is warming..it's disrupting the PV, there could be a split...etc etc..  and then the warming goes away, and it's back to the status quo of the stratosphere being ice cold again...and nothing happened in the sensible weather.  

And your statement about warming alone is very informative..and I think that's what I meant when I said "it warms and then nothing happens"...yet many folks seem to get so excited about it just warming, and I don't necessarily mean the folks here either.  

Thanks John for clarifying the differences on that idea.

I still like the period around the 19th. Had my eye on it for a few days now. I see models are putting Maine in the game. Wouldn't take a whole lot to see NH in as well. It's the only possibility I see at least in the near term. Personally I'd like to see a later bloomer. Get some marginal airmass wrapped in on the backside. Definitely some model funkiness going on between 18-21. Timeframe to watch.

Archived