Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

7 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Nah, the cold got there...it was just the warm nose crap weasel was too stinking strong.

That's the thing imagine these temps with another strong warm nose. Boo. But yes, strong cad would help imo. 

One other positive that would be nice if it showed up, is its sloooow. That thing on gfs is crawling. Last storm flew by....

It got hung up behind the mtns here! It started raining at 43 degrees and took about 10 hours for us to get to 32! Ten miles up the road, they got 4-5" of snow, I got 10 hours of rain and ip, followed by a 1/4" of snow! It was horrible! 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

With the early January storm moisture got here early (south of I-85) and temperatures struggled to drop. The cold air never made it in time. Moisture got here before the cold air and that was a major issue. Radar showed snow for 8 hours but it didn't changeover to snow until the last light band of moisture moved through and we got wrap around snow flurries. 

One difference between this threat and the January storm is this threat has more of a cad event with the cold coming from the north east. The January event relied on the cold making it over the mountains which always takes longer than forecasted. 

With the early January storm moisture got here early (south of I-85) and temperatures struggled to drop. The cold air never made it in time. Moisture got here before the cold air and that was a major issue. Radar showed snow for 8 hours but it didn't changeover to snow until the last light band of moisture moved through and we got wrap around snow flurries. 

Moisture getting here early was definitely bad for the last storm and it almost always happens, if we have CAD in place, it's a benefit, earlier the better, especially with most highs on the move!

21 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

There's definitely not as much coverage on the South end as the last storm!! ATL was looking good at this timeframe with the Jan storm! That's a very scary feeling with the inevitable NW trend! I will expect sleet and rain, so I can only be disappointed by rain! Snow is off the table! :(

I'm hoping that doesn't happen although I have the sneaking suspicion that it will. However, although TWC at this stage still has this event remaining mostly liquid (like they did with the last one), there has been a CLEAR downward trend in temps on those days over the past 2-3 days, with forecast highs falling from the mid 50s into the mid-upper 40s. I know it's not just the surface temps that count but I think we're headed in the right direction in terms of receiving some form of wintry precipitation in a significant quantity.

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 7.51.52 PM.png

6 minutes ago, Neckbeard93 said:

I'm hoping that doesn't happen although I have the sneaking suspicion that it will. However, although TWC at this stage still has this event remaining mostly liquid (like they did with the last one), there has been a CLEAR downward trend in temps on those days over the past 2-3 days, with forecast highs falling from the mid 50s into the mid-upper 40s. I know it's not just the surface temps that count but I think we're headed in the right direction in terms of receiving some form of wintry precipitation in a significant quantity.

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 7.51.52 PM.png

Aren't TWC forecasts that far out just direct regurgitation from models?

15 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Be a shame if there is a weak wave day 5 with building HP and it be all rain.....

gfs_mslpaNorm_us_22.png

Baja Ridge v/s stout PV in SE Canada.  Impressive temp gradient...maybe some light icing.

gfs_z500aNorm_namer_22.png

gfs_T2ma_us_22.png

Look at that warm nose in northeast GA and into the upstate. Lol if that isn't a familiar look idk what is.

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Poor Brick! Monster snows on the horizon, and back to work tomorrow!! No model watching for you!! He said on the other thread, he's not posting much over here anymore, he's found a new home! He's moved because of two posters, one is too negative and one uses too much sarcasm!? I have no idea who he's talking about??;( , but his knowledge will be missed! I love that snow probability map, I'm at 40%

Yea but he is not that bad but there have been alot of good posters with great knowledge that have left to. Even some we don't like that have been right.  Not like it used to be. Oh well back to waiting on the 8th.  Off to the Carribean for the week

Makes me sick to be this close to snow and see absolutely nothing! I never understood why as a kid. I just thought the snow gods hated me! Which they do! Blast those Mountains!

image.png

Just remember the once a year we get a raging sleet storm and the Mtns are in the 50s and we are in the 20s! Forget about the 25 other snow events they get a year, while we are in the 50s! :)

7 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Makes me sick to be this close to snow and see absolutely nothing! I never understood why as a kid. I just thought the snow gods hated me! Which they do! Blast those Mountains!

image.png

Those mountains help protect you from tornadoes because of CAD. Also they help give you ice storms.

2 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Those mountains help protect you from tornadoes because of CAD. Also they help give you ice storms.

They didn't protect me from a tornado back in November! We got mauled! And I hate to say it but we are due for a major ice storm. It's been a while. 

Archived