joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those discouraged, the storm on the 6th won't even be properly sampled until the main piece of energy comes ashore on the 4th...until then we should have various model changes with regard to that storm.

I think more are bummed about the next storm, but this one is difficult. It has two pieces of energy that phase, and they interact and phase differently almost every run. You can see the energy here...in fact, this run has 3 pieces of energy, one that comes in late and phases. Very complicated setup of this continues and we are not out of the woods by any means 

IMG_6227.PNG

6 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Would less of a phase help us?

The way this winter has gone I'd root for a single wave rather than a triple phaser, so yeah. Unless we get some kind of stout HP, phasing would only hurt with WAA and likely take a track a bit more NW than we'd like. Not saying a phase can't work, but we are already talking about perfect timing..I think a huge phase would benefit those north more than not.

After running through the free maps of the overnight runs, boy I can't see much good.  The signal for a storm in the gulf is getting better and better, but the cold air is just not there.  I'm not sure why considering moderate blocking, a HB vortex and an eastern trough.  Is it the Alaska low cutting of the feed from the arctic? It would seem the low is bringing in air from the north pacific as opposed to due north.

Long range looks the same, an up and down from torch to cool.  Just not going to get it done. Hopefully the ssw does work and mid to late February we see some good effects.  

1 hour ago, Jon said:

For those discouraged, the storm on the 6th won't even be properly sampled until the main piece of energy comes ashore on the 4th...until then we should have various model changes with regard to that storm.

I think more are bummed about the next storm, but this one is difficult. It has two pieces of energy that phase, and they interact and phase differently almost every run. You can see the energy here...in fact, this run has 3 pieces of energy, one that comes in late and phases. Very complicated setup of this continues and we are not out of the woods by any means 

IMG_6227.PNG

You're right on Jon, JB says until it gets past the Rockies there is no way of telling what it's going to do.. Models will be all over the place!! 

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

After running through the free maps of the overnight runs, boy I can't see much good.  The signal for a storm in the gulf is getting better and better, but the cold air is just not there.  I'm not sure why considering moderate blocking, a HB vortex and an eastern trough.  Is it the Alaska low cutting of the feed from the arctic? It would seem the low is bringing in air from the north pacific as opposed to due north.

Long range looks the same, an up and down from torch to cool.  Just not going to get it done. Hopefully the ssw does work and mid to late February we see some good effects.  

All of Canada is COLD now, I think the cold will be available with the right storm track.... 

8 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

You're right on Jon, JB says until it gets past the Rockies there is no way of telling what it's going to do.. Models will be all over the place!! 

JB just said cold will be in plains to NE, or the snow atleast! Maybe we can pull off a miracle wedge,with all that cold in Canada!

8 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

JB just said cold will be in plains to NE, or the snow atleast! Maybe we can pull off a miracle wedge,with all that cold in Canada!

Yeah, You right He didn't say snow in the SE or Ice... He was showing all the cold up there now. and models will be all over the place. I'm like you we will probably need a good CAD set up for any wintry weather.  But he did say he's not changing his thoughts until it's past the Rockies if he needs to. He's always said he thought OV then jump to the coast!!!

RAH keeping the door open (..a little) for a day 7 storm:

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
As of 350 AM Monday...

Mean troughing will generally continue across the Eastern U.S.
through the medium range forecast. However, the main energy will
pass to the north of central NC, yielding a general dry pattern into
Saturday. Though a generally dry cold front (maybe a few sprinkles
again) will sink south/southeastward through the region on Wednesday
night into Thursday. This front will settle to the south of the area
on Thursday. A weak wave of low pressure may develop along the front
Thursday night into Friday, helping to possibly spread some light
precip across southern portions of the area Friday
morning/afternoon. However, confidence in the timing and precip
chances remain low at this time. Thus, will keep pops in the slight
chance category and across the southern half of the area. Will keep
precip as rain, as it appears temps across the south should be warm
enough to keep it all rain (as it appears now). Reinforcing surface
high pressure will build into the area on Saturday into Saturday
evening, before a more potent disturbance brings a good chance of
precip to the area on Sunday as the surface high quickly departs.
This system may lead to at least some in-situ damming, with possible
even some frozen p-types at the onset of the event in the
climatological favored regions of the piedmont/nw piedmont.

26 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Agree 100%.  Looking at 850s, Canada looks cold, but not severely so.  There's just no mechanism to deliver a sustained cold air feed into the SE.  At least Shetley can't complain about rain chances over the next couple of weeks.  February is shaping up to be another disaster for winter weather lovers.  By the end of the GEFS and GEPS runs, the coldest anomalies, which are in Canada, look to somewhat dissipate and migrate back poleward.

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Yikes! Haven't seen much of a 180 flip in one day in the CFS. Best case is either warm or hot at this point, feb not looking good if the CFS verifies.IMG_6225.GIF

It's looking unlikely at the moment that has any chance of verifying.  Unless the GFS ECMWF and the ensembles are grossly wrong the next 15 days it's going to be very hard to get those departures.  Remember, normals are relatively high by the time we reach 2/15 south of 37N

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Agree 100%.  Looking at 850s, Canada looks cold, but not severely so.  There's just no mechanism to deliver a sustained cold air feed into the SE.  At least Shetley can't complain about rain chances over the next couple of weeks.  February is shaping up to be another disaster for winter weather lovers.  By the end of the GEFS and GEPS, the coldest anomalies, which are in Canada, look to somewhat dissipate and migrate back poleward.

Yeah, with the CFS going torch for February, the strat making a quick recovery, I'm not holding out much hope that we see a back end February at this point, but who knows.  

I'll take my 2 inches and 3-day cold shot in January and call it a winter. When does the AMO go back into the cold phase? 

18 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Yeah, with the CFS going torch for February, the strat making a quick recovery, I'm not holding out much hope that we see a back end February at this point, but who knows.  

I'll take my 2 inches and 3-day cold shot in January and call it a winter. When does the AMO go back into the cold phase? 

A couple of years?  Maybe that, along with the substantial upcoming solar min will do something for us.

22 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Packs gonna have a party when he sees those cfsv2 maps Jon posted! All we need to see on 12Z GFS is about a 200 mile shift south and about 10 degrees cooler for the big 2/8 event! Not too much to ask!

I don't get any joy from Feb potentially torching.  I wish it would snow too...I am surprised the front 10-15 days of Feb won't be solidly BN.  It sucks. Hard to believe that we could potentially go from Jan 10th to end of Feb with the below as our coldest temps.

I honestly don't know what to think about Feb, the strat argues maybe a chance of end of Feb into March.

gfs-ens_T2maMean_us_6.png

I think for the vast majority of people on this baord, winter type precip is a very unlikely event the rest of this winter unfortunately. For those in Tn, NC (north of 40 and west of 85) and Southern Va. there is still a decent chance but everybody else looks very doubtful, I hate that but it is what it is, hopefully I am wrong.

First wave was much better. Colder, taller ridge out west.  Weaker system to keep it further south.  This run gets some winter weather into the mountains and northern foothills before the cold air gets scoured out.  Still a chance to get a weaker southern slider with overrunning IMO.

EDIT: 2m temps looks to stay below freezing for mountains and N. Foothills for the entire event.  A nice winter storm for that area.

Archived