Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

1 hour ago, No snow for you said:

Looking forward to playing golf in February in shorts. Looks like winter is now only 2 days long. 

Fyp! Yeah, I need to dust off the ole sticks, fishing poles, and tune up the lawnmower !  I hope the GFS trends torwards the Euro, we don't want the MA to score a big storm!?

David Ludlum in his book Early American Winters II 1821-1870 talks about the unusually warm winters in the Eastern United States from the mid to late 1820's.  He said the climax of the warm period came in the winter of 1827-1828.  During that winter, fruit trees in the South started blooming in January and were in full bloom by the first week of February. Peach and apricot trees in Pennsylvania were in full bloom by the third week of February.  In addition to the warm temperatures, it was also an extremely wet winter(Super El Niño?). By March the circulation changed and polar air masses began to move southward with reports of snow falling as far south as coastal South Carolina during mid-March.  During the first week of April a massive cold front(much like April 2007) swept through the South delivering a devastating freeze that killed all tender crops, as well as the pears and peaches.  The warm winters of the 1820's ended with a return to snowy winters in the South during the 1830's.

Departures From Normal for Charleston, SC during the winter of 1828.

January  +11.7°

February  +13.5°

March  +6.5°

9 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

I'm feeling lucky I got my yearly 5-6 inch snow/sleet storm.  At least I will get part of my spring break this year.

I also feel lucky getting what I got. Areas just miles to my south got very little. I have a feeling this spring may end up colder than normal. Seems in years past, after a warm winter spring tends to balance it back.    

You know, last winter, it was clear what we needed to write on the tombstone: "Here lies the winter of 2015-16: Killed by El Nino".  What are we going to put on this winter's tombstone?  That is was killed by a pathetic La Nina that was so weak that it didn't even meet some of the criteria and barely met others?  I would really love an autopsy to determine the cause of death, if you will.  Anyone feel up to the analysis?

5 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

You know, last winter, it was clear what we needed to write on the tombstone: "Here lies the winter of 2015-16: Killed by El Nino".  What are we going to put on this winter's tombstone?  That is was killed by a pathetic La Nina that was so weak that it didn't even meet some of the criteria and barely met others?  I would really love an autopsy to determine the cause of death, if you will.  Anyone feel up to the analysis?

Simple.

2017, the new normal.

6 hours ago, cbmclean said:

Yeah, move

10 hours ago, cbmclean said:

+++++++QBO

It's always something though.  Hopefully next year we just have standard, ordinary, run of the mill indexes and I bet we score a nice storm at some point.  Last two years CRAZY nino, this year CRAZY +QBO.  Just need normal....unless it's CRAZY blocking, I'll take that. 

4 hours ago, SnowNiner said:

+++++++QBO

It's always something though.  Hopefully next year we just have standard, ordinary, run of the mill indexes and I bet we score a nice storm at some point.  Last two years CRAZY nino, this year CRAZY +QBO.  Just need normal....unless it's CRAZY blocking, I'll take that. 

Good news is that we should have another +QBO.  Though after that, winter of 18/19 we should have a -QBO.  

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Out playing golf or fishing, whatever is fun to do in 73 degree weather!? He'll planting corn? Tomatoes!? That's how warm it is today!

Got a nice chuckle out of this. 

Wheres Shetley and his wait till Feb forecast. And your other half brother Wilkes with his mid Feb prediction. I'll let Frosty bash JB

On 2/1/2017 at 2:26 PM, NCSNOW said:

Got a nice chuckle out of this. 

Wheres Shetley and his wait till Feb forecast. And your other half brother Wilkes with his mid Feb prediction. I'll let Frosty bash JB

I'll start my rant in Mid March, IF I haven't had another snow storm by then!!! His snow forecast is from first flake to last...( It was for 100% of normal here) Which he's pretty much already got that right. Had 9 inches back in Jan. The cold is a different story........ ;)