• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2017 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

It is pretty astounding how different my last 30 days compares to most on here.  I am now sitting on 90th percentile for snow depth depth for the date, just had a pretty intense 6 hour blizzard yesterday, and woke up to widespread -35 to -40 readings this morning in northern minnesota.  

I am curious how the rest of winter is going to play out.  I know I am in the minority here hoping for the pattern of the last 30 days to come back soon after next weeks warm up.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

It is pretty astounding how different my last 30 days compares to most on here.  I am now sitting on 90th percentile for snow depth depth for the date, just had a pretty intense 6 hour blizzard yesterday, and woke up to widespread -35 to -40 readings this morning in northern minnesota.  

I am curious how the rest of winter is going to play out.  I know I am in the minority here hoping for the pattern of the last 30 days to come back soon after next weeks warm up.

I also hope this pattern continues through the next 3 months, lots of snow to the north where people can enjoy it with outdoor activities and warmth and non snow covered roads to the south to make travel to work and back easier. Perfect setup to me, I'll take this every year.

6 hours ago, slow poke said:

I also hope this pattern continues through the next 3 months, lots of snow to the north where people can enjoy it with outdoor activities and warmth and non snow covered roads to the south to make travel to work and back easier. Perfect setup to me, I'll take this every year.

No thanks! Always hated that mindset "up north". Well, I dont live "up north" but I do live in a cold climate with dormant vegetation half the year, give me snow! And I drive in it too (30 mile commute each way). Although...I am a bit confused by this post. To date, we have not had a warm winter, nor have we had a light snow winter. We have had our share of dicey commutes already. The next 2 week look hideous, but they do not look good for the north either. Hoping for the pattern of the next 2 weeks to last a winter would be depressing for us but detrimentally bad for the north who rely on snow. Luckily, its not going to happen :)

9 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

I dont mind the pattern of the last 30 days. Its next week thats disgusting

I'd like a snow covered yard, but with each year I care less and less with my backyard.

I'm typing this from Taquamenon Falls area of the UP this moment. There is probably 30 inches on the ground and the smell of wood burning stoves in the air. 

I worry more about these areas losing snow than my backyard. Whatever happens, happens.

We're gonna take a solid snow loss up here but there's enough on the ground to survive it.  Plus with the thaw and freeze cycle, the snowpack will harden up. Then the cold comes back and we'll have another epic 2 week stretch where feet of snow fall.

On 1/14/2017 at 0:32 AM, Jonger said:

I'd like a snow covered yard, but with each year I care less and less with my backyard.

I'm typing this from Taquamenon Falls area of the UP this moment. There is probably 30 inches on the ground and the smell of wood burning stoves in the air. 

I worry more about these areas losing snow than my backyard. Whatever happens, happens.

Coming up on the 22nd anniversary of one of my favorite winter events for this area.  Back on Jan 18-19th 1995 a storm dropped a narrow corridor of 12-18" of snow from southwest MO up into northwest IL.  The band was so narrow, that IIRC Peoria and Chicago received very little snow, while MLI picked up 15".  Columbia Missouri received 18", and Springfield MO had 14".  We had several hrs of thundersnow, with near zero visibility where I was at, which was in the QC.  Unfortunately this was right before DVN's 88D went operational, so there's no radar data for eastern IA/western IL.  LOT's 88D was up and running, but the heart of the deform is only partially sampled by the elevated beam height this far west.  

One of the more satisfying events for me, as we weren't expected to get more than a few inches of snow the night before the event.  Most forecasters had the heaviest snow falling from Quincy to Chicago.  This is well before I started following models, so I have no idea what they were showing.  I'm guessing it was a last minute NW trend, ala 12/1/06 that helped our area.  

Here's a little satellite and analysis loop of the event.  

35 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Coming up on the 22nd anniversary of one of my favorite winter events for this area.  Back on Jan 18-19th 1995 a storm dropped a narrow corridor of 12-18" of snow from southwest MO up into northwest IL.  The band was so narrow, that IIRC Peoria and Chicago received very little snow, while MLI picked up 15".  Columbia Missouri received 18", and Springfield MO had 14".  We had several hrs of thundersnow, with near zero visibility where I was at, which was in the QC.  Unfortunately this was right before DVN's 88D went operational, so there's no radar data for eastern IA/western IL.  LOT's 88D was up and running, but the heart of the deform is only partially sampled by the elevated beam height this far west.  

One of the more satisfying events for me, as we weren't expected to get more than a few inches of snow the night before the event.  Most forecasters had the heaviest snow falling from Quincy to Chicago.  This is well before I started following models, so I have no idea what they were showing.  I'm guessing it was a last minute NW trend, ala 12/1/06 that helped our area.  

Think I might remember that one.  I recall a storm that hit Rockford pretty good and gave me basically nothing in northwest IN. Checked the records and RFD had 8.3"

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Was too young to remember this one but looking at the records, Madison got 12.6 inches on the 19th which is the daily record for that date

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Return towards more normal weather the end of the month. The next week is worthless though. Not as torchy as first thought, but a solid week of late November 

Only redeeming factor is that we don't have a snowpack to lose, plus a few warmer days will allow me to drain and refill my hot tub. 

Today will be the 4th day without any snow.  That's not happened in over 6 weeks.  The high yesterday was 38... the first day above freezing since Nov 28th.  Snow depth is down to 22".  This will end up being the longest mid-Winter thaw I've seen since living here. I know Winter will return with big dog snow but the next week is going to drag!  The positive is I've gone through a lot of wood already and a warm spell will help balance that out.

13 hours ago, Jonger said:

Looks like wall to wall garbage for the entire populated regions of North America. No escape from this crapfest.

1 hour ago, harrisale said:

Little bit of ZR here overnight. Enough to make the sidewalks slippery but barely enough to get the trees sagging. 

Looks like beginning Wednesday afternoon, temperatures here won't dip below freezing again until Monday. Some January!

Shades of '12

Another January record high for CMH:

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

1205 PM EST TUE JAN 17 2017

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT COLUMBUS... THE TEMPERATURE ROSE TO 63 DEGREES AT 1205 PM AT THE JOHN GLENN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD HIGH OF 62 DEGREES SET IN 1952.

IF THE TEMPERATURE RISES ABOVE 63...A NEW STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED WITH THE AFTERNOON CLIMATE SUMMARY.

Archived