Newest Member
    joxey
Thumper the Dumper obs/pics 12/16 to 12/18/16

Ginx snewx

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

3" at the Pit.  Ripping--visibility less than 1/4 mile.

It's within the realm of possibility that I'll have had two warning-level events in 5 days.  Winter has returned to GC.  Until tomorrow and next week, ftl.

15.5*

15F. Moderate snow.  3" down.  Snow growth could be better but piling up nicely.

Be interesting to see what out temp difference is during the warm up.  I suspect your perch on the hill will be warming quicker than my tucked little hollow. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

15F. Moderate snow.  3" down.  Snow growth could be better but piling up nicely.

Be interesting to see what out temp difference is during the warm up.  I suspect your perch on the hill will be warming quicker than my tucked little hollow. 

Probably.  Coming home last night, my car thermometer climbed 2* in the final 1/4 mile coming up the hill.  The hill giveth and the hill taketh away.

P-type algorithms show the transition zone is still northern NJ over to the lower Poconos ... and the last two hours shows it is only creeping N.  Fascinating to see the model initializations pounding a deep layer SW look to the whole pattern, yet that's the case.   Meanwhile, the intensity suggests similar to what took place yesterday in Michigan; as you go west in the snowing column it gets heavier and heavier than cuts off abruptly near max intensity.  As such, we are not yet into the heaviest duration of this fronts side event.

I'm curious how much of that gets 'eaten' as it continues to press into relatively drier air ...

Presently along Rt 2 its pretty uniform 17-20 F up and down the corridor, with the same type of snow everywhere: uniform super small aggregates of dendrites, plates and needles.  ...I actually bothered to check...  A friend of mine once referred to this as Saharan dust snow.  This is common type in cold column growth.

One thing I am noticing about the mean radar trajectories is that for the most part ... the perceived motion of all is very much more east than perhaps would be expected at first glance.  This is true also everywhere.  It's not hard to imagine seeing this one plausible reason why we are cashing in on a good snow event despite having the blocking high... Some may want to blame it on the magnitude of the cold its self, but, despite that romantic impression...there is more to it than that.  As we've discussed, you can flip 50 F inside of 12 hours - this is a different sort of scenario. That rad motion indicates that the actual latitude displacing capacity of this event is slowed nearing our latitude.

19F 2" new. steady S/S- ...about 2/3rds mi vis. 

So far that RGEM looks pretty darn spectacular - obviously it's going to be a nerds paradise later on watching the progression of matters .. and I'm sure we'll here about it.  But for up to this point, things are (much to the delight of the winter enthusiast) siding with those cooler solutions leading into this thing.

5 minutes ago, nianticct said:

heavy snow still in niantic 28 at ledge light in the harbor

what is your flake size?

i'm asking because we here in the deep interior are choking on chalk dust right now...  2 and change and counting nonetheless, but it's very indicative of a cold ass column aloft.  i'm wondering if closer to the coast there is more stick and cling with these pieces ... i'm guessing yes -

Archived