• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

Just can't catch a break...

With global models coming into better agreement with the position and track of the upper-level low, local research and pattern recognition suggests a significant lake effect event for the Chautauqua Ridge (again south of metro Buffalo), and also the southern Tug Hill region (again south of Watertown). This is not say that areas outside of these higher impact areas won`t receive lake effect snow at some point during the event, however the greatest potential for feet of snow lies in these areas directly east to east-southeast of the lakes. Looking a bit closer at the details for Wednesday and Thursday, cold advection will be underway across the lower Great Lakes Wednesday morning in southwesterly flow. 850 mb temperatures will already by plenty cold enough (-15C) to support lake effect snow, however the big caveat is that this synoptic moisture appears to be nearly completely missing. Thus expect an area of low lake cloudiness lined on the lake convergence on the southwesterly flow across the Buffalo metro area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Just can't catch a break...

With global models coming into better agreement with the position and track of the upper-level low, local research and pattern recognition suggests a significant lake effect event for the Chautauqua Ridge (again south of metro Buffalo), and also the southern Tug Hill region (again south of Watertown). This is not say that areas outside of these higher impact areas won`t receive lake effect snow at some point during the event, however the greatest potential for feet of snow lies in these areas directly east to east-southeast of the lakes. Looking a bit closer at the details for Wednesday and Thursday, cold advection will be underway across the lower Great Lakes Wednesday morning in southwesterly flow. 850 mb temperatures will already by plenty cold enough (-15C) to support lake effect snow, however the big caveat is that this synoptic moisture appears to be nearly completely missing. Thus expect an area of low lake cloudiness lined on the lake convergence on the southwesterly flow across the Buffalo metro area.

Yeah, it may start off further north but Thurs night into Saturday almost a lock for W/NW winds. It's very difficult to get SW winds when the a piece of the PV drops south, I mean its coming from the arctic, NW winds are usually from its origination. http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf-ens/2016121112/ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_5.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2016121118/gfs-ens_z500a_us_16.png

So much for advisories, lol!

Mesoscale Discussion 1879
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1123 PM CST Sun Dec 11 2016

Areas affected...Portions of Upstate New York

Concerning...Heavy snow 

Valid 120523Z - 120930Z

SUMMARY...A band of moderate to occasionally heavy snow will
   organize across portions of Upstate New York overnight, with local
   snowfall rates upwards of one inch per hour.

DISCUSSION...As a southwesterly low-level jet strengthens over
   central/eastern New York tonight, increasing isentropic ascent will
   spread moderate snowfall eastward across the state. Guidance is
   relatively consistent in suggesting an enhanced band of heavier snow
   (within the broader shield of snowfall) organizing near the Mohawk
   Valley during the early morning hours. Surface observations
   illustrate a subtle trough within this region, perhaps indicative of
   a corridor of enhanced warm-air advection and related ascent, which
   would support higher snowfall rates (upwards of one inch per hour).
   Towards 07-09Z, this band of moderate to locally heavy snowfall will
   expand eastward towards the Hudson Valley.

48 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Nothing better than a lake effect RAIN band to swing through and wipe out everything you picked up from the overnight synoptic. I don't even have any snow left just piles of slush. This winter bites!
87da2a9898c54e1be0b5e9a9853e73de.gif

Man that sucks! Ended up with a surprising 6.3" in Amherst. Noticed a big difference between Amherst and my work in Hamburg. Hamburg looks to have about half of what we got in Amherst. Noticed a large drop off in snow on the thruway just past the Galleria. We got a little rain in Amherst but there was still over 5" on the ground. 

NWS seems pretty confident for this far out...

Wednesday Night
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Thursday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Thursday Night
Snow before midnight, then a chance of snow showers after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 5. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

51 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Man that sucks! Ended up with a surprising 6.3" in Amherst. Noticed a big difference between Amherst and my work in Hamburg. Hamburg looks to have about half of what we got in Amherst. Noticed a large drop off in snow on the thruway just past the Galleria. We got a little rain in Amherst but there was still over 5" on the ground. 

I live close to Galleria now and i measured 5.3" at 5am when i left for work.

Archived