• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I would love to know the date of these events.  Been watching these for nearly 30 years and have to disagree.  Perhaps hybrid events with strong arctic fronts and lots of synoptic moisture but never a pure bred lake effect event such as this one.  The biggest buffalo events simply do not make it this far.  Time and time again the NWS puts us under warnings/advisories for these events and absolutely nothing happens.  They really need to make LES watches and warnings with the polygons that are used for Thunderstorms.  I mean throwing the whole county under an advisory for this event is plain foolish.   

I do agree that under perfect circumstances we could maybe squeak out 2-4 in the metro with 6-8 in the far SW corner of the county.  That said, this event is missing a lot of ingredients to make that happen.  

I've received 3" in a 5 hour period here in Liverpool from an Erie band.....but, again, very rare for LES bands to traverse hundreds of miles, unless the convergence is supported by going down a valley....When at Albany State back in the late 80's, we received 5" of LES off Ontario....with the band navigating the Mohawk RV.....

7 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Roc is only 60 miles from lake erie

Just watch the NWS radar right now.  Frictional convergence and uplift is often maximized over Genesee county which causes one last large convective "poof" before the entire cloud just vanishes.  It's just not a setup to ever get your hopes up for in Rochester.

In fact, its blue skies and sunny in the ROC right now with 3 inch rates just 25 miles away.  Same as it ever was.  

BUF_loop.gif

8 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Hi LEK,

What are your thought for our area? 

North of us (Adams, Sandy Creek, Pulaski, Altmar) gets 1-2' (Tug maybe a bit more)....we should get 2-5" as the band sweeps through tomorrow morning 6am-9am....then a break, then winds back a bit, reform a new band to our north (producing another 5-10") and that sweeps through tomorrow evening with another 1-3" for us...

3 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

North of us (Adams, Sandy Creek, Pulaski, Altmar) gets 1-2' (Tug maybe a bit more)....we should get 2-5" as the band sweeps through tomorrow morning 6am-9am....then a break, then winds back a bit, reform a new band to our north (producing another 5-10") and that sweeps through tomorrow evening with another 1-3" for us...

Sounds good, Thanks!

1 minute ago, WNash said:

Unbelievable. We can't get a break. Flurries and even some dim sunlight in NE Buffalo.

Unreal. Buffalo and the northtowns just have a snow shield right over it. Wouldn't it be something if we end up with less than 2" while everyone else gets a foot lmao. Nothing we can do but laugh at it. 

7 minutes ago, WNash said:

Unbelievable. We can't get a break. Flurries and even some dim sunlight in NE Buffalo.

This is why I'm sometimes glad I moved to Rochester.  There were some brutal events in the late 90's that I swear gave me PTSD.  If its not going to hit me, I'd rather it be 500 miles away not 5 miles away

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

This is why I'm sometimes glad I moved to Rochester.  There were some brutal events in the late 90's that I swear gave me PTSD.  If its not going to hit me, I'd rather it be 500 miles away not 5 miles away

Yeah - we all know that downtown to northtowns isn't the most favorable location for lake effect, but that doesn't mean that it should be nearly imposssible to get a good set-up here. We've just had our butts kicked by probability for over a decade. 

I am from Lancaster, PA, but I always have a vested interest with what's going on in Western NY because:

A. My girlfriend lives in Cheektowaga.

B. I love snow.

C. One of my plant locations is in Lackawanna (I'm an engineer).

Question is .... isn't always the best lake effect more likely in the southtowns and more so southern tier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived