• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left Gates at 7pm sharp, and got on 531 West which turns in 31.  I continued all the way to Clarendon via 31 West.  Snow began in spencerport and was moderate to heavy by Brockport with 3 inches on the ground and heavy snow.  At Clarendon, several 18 wheelers were unable to get up a hill and were all jammed up trying to turn around.  Snowfall here was measured at 6 inches.  Snow was extremely heavy here, estimated 2-3 inch an hour.  I made the daring move to punch south on 237 directly into the heart of the tail which was sinking south.  This long North South route was extremely challenging and those 8 miles took the better part of 30 minutes with moments of complete disorientation.  I had to stop completely several times to identify the edge of the road.  Max snowfall was likely just south of Clarendon with something between 6-8 inches.  When I got to Byron the band was more or less centered over me and sinking south.  I proceeded east to Bergen and then back up 490.  By 490 the band was just settling in so I had moderate snow but good roads still.  A nice easy end to an intense little mini chase.  

7pm - 9pm.  

50.5 miles 

Min Snow - Gates (home base) - .1 inch on the day when I left

Max snow - 2 miles south of Clarendon 6-8"

Max rate - 3"/hr

0 Visibility for several 10  second periods.

Couple vids from along the way, second is a little rough and boring but shows the visibility or lack thereof. 

Stopped at the gas station in clarendon to choose my route.

Punching south down 237, nasty stuff.  I can only imagine what it was like further west in much deeper returns,  

chase route.png

Look at this IR satellite. Some of those bands from superior and Huron have what appears to be very high and very cold cloud tops.  This is likely associated with the core of the incredibly cold 850s. 

You usually only see those shades and contours from deep summertime convection or deep synoptic systems.  

IMG_6529.PNG

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Look at this IR satellite. Some of those bands from superior and Huron have what appears to be very high and very cold cloud tops.  This is likely associated with the core of the incredibly cold 850s. 

You usually only see those shades and contours from deep summertime convection or deep synoptic systems.  

IMG_6529.PNG

Thats whats goin to come over lake ontario in am. Its the artic front. Notice how much shallower the cloud of erie are and that with 3 inch a hour rates. 

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Tomorrow really will be interesting to watch, it could end up being pretty intense.  Perhaps I'll be taking a half day for a chase along the lake shore.  I just wish it wouldnt be so shortlived.  

Will be 2 periods from 8 to 12 then 4 to 10 i think. Atleast thats what all the hi res models say. Even gfs hammers south shore with half inch qpf. And hrr gives a half inch with first bout tomorrow am.

That is a fantastic video!  Looks absolutely apocalyptic!

Was kinda weird. The thunder was rocking on the south side of the band but rates were only 1"/hr. It was almost on que. Quite then a gust of wind and burst of snow with a strike then back to calm. Probably 8-10 strikes in 15 minutes. Then we got into the core and the thunder stopped but snow picked up. Then the northern edge was pounding us 3-4"/hr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living vicariously through the WNY guys...thanks for sharing. We have just a few flurries from the Lake Erie band in Clay, north of Syracuse.   Which is interesting. Expecting an inch or three from the Ontario band when it drops south and collapses towards dawn.  After that just flurries and a weekend mix. Yuck.  Always fun to see some powerful LES up north and off Erie on SW flow.

Good lord..:o

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
1257 AM EST THU DEC 15 2016

NYZ006>008-150800-
Lewis-Jefferson-Oswego-
1257 AM EST THU DEC 15 2016

...AN INTENSE BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL AFFECT LEWIS...SOUTHERN
JEFFERSON AND NORTHERN OSWEGO COUNTIES...

At 1254 AM EST, A band of intense lake effect snow producing snow
fall rate of 4 inches per hour was located from Sandy Creek and
Adams extending inland across the Tug Hill region and central Lewis
County. This band will remain nearly stationary through the early
morning hours.

Winds in excess of 30 mph are expected with this band of lake effect
snow, producing significant blowing and drifting snow and whiteout
conditions.

Locations impacted include...
Sandy Island Beach State Park, Carthage, Lowville, Pulaski, West
Carthage, Adams, Selkirk Shores State Park, Highmarket, Barnes
Corners and Southwick Beach State Park.

This includes Interstate 81 between exits 36 and 43.

Use extra caution if you must travel into or through this dangerous
snow squall. The combination of very heavy snow and blowing snow
will create very dangerous travel conditions with near zero
visibility and deep snow cover on roads. Many roads are likely to
become impassable overnight. Consider delaying travel until the
squall passes your location.

LAT...LON 4347 7647 4356 7644 4357 7636 4356 7631
      4358 7626 4369 7626 4383 7633 4405 7517
      4363 7511
$$

Hitchcock

3 hours ago, southbuffalowx said:

One day it is my goal to be in the Tug hill when a band like that is pounding >4in/hr. I don't think anything in the US compares to it, save for some mountains on the west coast.

It's incredible and a little frightening all at the same time...we were caught out in snowmobiling and you just become  so disoriented it's ridiculous 

Archived