• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, tim123 said:

I think monroe wayne county will get destroyed. The band to the nw is moving much slower south

Band is moving into Monroe, right on time. These mega bands have a tendency to lose organization once they landfall. Especially Monroe on westward. Will be a few tough/ fun hours though. 

Im thinking a quick 1-3 with very poor driving conditions. The roads are still terrible from earlier today in Roc. Band is now settling into Irondequoit and Webster. 

I could also see an inch or so of nuisance stuff later tonight. So I'm going with 2-4 for greater Rochester region. Which is in line with local mets. Not a prodigious set-up for totals. But pretty bad for effects (wind and timing).

15 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Left Gates at 7pm sharp, and got on 531 West which turns in 31.  I continued all the way to Clarendon via 31 West.  Snow began in spencerport and was moderate to heavy by Brockport with 3 inches on the ground and heavy snow.  At Clarendon, several 18 wheelers were unable to get up a hill and were all jammed up trying to turn around.  Snowfall here was measured at 6 inches.  Snow was extremely heavy here, estimated 2-3 inch an hour.  I made the daring move to punch south on 237 directly into the heart of the tail which was sinking south.  This long North South route was extremely challenging and those 8 miles took the better part of 30 minutes with moments of complete disorientation.  I had to stop completely several times to identify the edge of the road.  Max snowfall was likely just south of Clarendon with something between 6-8 inches.  When I got to Byron the band was more or less centered over me and sinking south.  I proceeded east to Bergen and then back up 490.  By 490 the band was just settling in so I had moderate snow but good roads still.  A nice easy end to an intense little mini chase.  

7pm - 9pm.  

50.5 miles 

Min Snow - Gates (home base) - .1 inch on the day when I left

Max snow - 2 miles south of Clarendon 6-8"

Max rate - 3"/hr

0 Visibility for several 10  second periods.

Couple vids from along the way, second is a little rough and boring but shows the visibility or lack thereof. 

Stopped at the gas station in clarendon to choose my route.

Punching south down 237, nasty stuff.  I can only imagine what it was like further west in much deeper returns,  

chase route.png

Nice!! I'm 7 or 8 miles sw of that gas station... That hill might be small but man can it cause havoc especially in situations like last night, they typically do a very good job keeping it clear but no chance with that type of snowfall..

In other news, date night turned into date lunch today given the forecast so just got back from Spencerport and Clarendon certainly seemed to be the start of a noticeable drop the further E towards Brockport you got to about 6" and then 3-4" in Spencerport. Between last night and this morning I came up with measurements ranging in 12-15".  

17 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Alright. I'm in position in north Greece on the shore of Lake Ontario!  The band is incredibly deep and nearly black. The Inflow is ridiculous. I'm heading towards charlotte but prepared to abandon ship due south just ahead of that death band that is currently taking shape. Winds are gusting 50 with insane ground blizzards. 

Nice!!  That must be an incredible place to be right now.  Looking forward to the pics/vids.  

It should start to slow its Southward progression in the next 1/2hr to hr.

3 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Not sure that high....I bet the flake size is marginal....probably 12:1 or so....

Snow growth isn't as ideal as one would like but then again its frigid with a dry airmass.  If there wasn't an upstream connection to three lakes it wouldn't even be snowing I don't think.

3 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Hey George, is this thing gonna stop its Southward progress cause I'm starting to wonder, lol?

It may slow a bit....but my idea of it hanging out in Oswego Co. is out the window....the Huron Band is oriented to much to the NW-SE....if that band were coming off Geo Bay, we'd be in business....but look for an hour to two hours of moderate heavy, wind driven snow!  With about 15-30 minutes of intense rates.

yeah, thats what I'm thinking.  Well so much for thinking we'd do much better than yesterdays snow shower.  Get to look forward to Light snow to rain back to snow with a minimal lake response because of the dry nature of the airmass after the system passes by to our West. 50 miles further to the East and it would of been an all snow event but NO, why would we ever get a synoptic event without some kind of mixing!!

Snowing heavily now and I guess 1-2hrs of moderate to sometimes intense rates will do. 

15 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

It may slow a bit....but my idea of it hanging out in Oswego Co. is out the window....the Huron Band is oriented to much to the NW-SE....if that band were coming off Geo Bay, we'd be in business....but look for an hour to two hours of moderate heavy, wind driven snow!  With about 15-30 minutes of intense rates.

I think shes gonna start to slow dramatically in the next 1/2hr or so as the Huron band is quasi right now so I don't think the eastern end of the band is gonna pass the western end of the band as that would be extremely anomalous I would think, unless we see one of those bands where the Eastern end of the band curves to the South while the rest of the band remains stationary.  

S++ right now with vis down to 0 at times.  Luckily it hit before the heart of rush hr.

Archived