• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

the way the radar looked an hr ago i expected the snow to have stopped by now... but looks to have reoriented and game on again...

Yeah, the wind in the lowest couple thousand feet are backing, and in response we can see L. Ontario starting to fire again over the Lake...I suspect that there will be some shoreline convergence for a bit, until the Huron/Ontario connection is made, then the inflow into it will overpower any shoreline convergence...I think the radar between 2pm and 7pm will be screenshot worthy...

2 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I seriously think So.Oswego, No. Onondaga are gonna be under the snow gun for a good 4-6hr period this afternoon into this evening so I think tonights commute is gonna be a treacherous one.  If it starts further North, I don't think it'll be up there for long.  It may be our turn!

GFS meso from 00z last night had the band reforming right over us...but at 06z, it shifted it's starting location about 20 miles north....but current trends via vis sat., and radar look more and more like the new band will form south of Pulaski...and maybe as far south as Brewerton....and then a slower "drift"/reorientation to the south than this morning's "ye 'ol broom effect" (credit coined phrase to Brian!) ;)

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

Interesting that on radar, the Huron band seems NW-SE oriented, yet over Ontario it looks more westerly. Satellite shows the tail clouds of the Huron band almost curving to the west as well.

Ontario is still ahead of the shortwave....Huron is in it's wake...but also the geometry of L. Ontario's orientation tends to keep winds more aligned with it's long axis...

Just now, LakeEffectKing said:

I think what we'll see (and it's not seen on the meso's) is that as the Huron band settles a bit further south, away from Geo. Bay, a new band will form off Geo. Bay and the two will make a sideways "V", pointed directly at L. Ontario and feeding it's developing band...

Thats what 3 km shows

KBUF's meso wrf did an outstanding job with this mornings Broom as well so we'll see how it does this afternoon.  Its forming in South Oswego county right around Brewerton where my old crib is at.  The orientation is weird though,  Could actually fool me and go due East as well.  LE isa something else!

Just now, tim123 said:

So dynamic i would almost excpect thundersnow later along south shore. This morning was bad but this eve will be much worse in my opinion. Picked up 2 inches in 45 min this am

I'd agree with the thundersnow....colder, relatively drier (but still "moist" at colder temps.) will yield to more static charge separation (ice crystals rubbing against each other), thus higher potential for lightning....

Archived