Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 12 Snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It is definitely a task to get some people off sim radar and QPF and focus on things that involve snow growth and all those processes we try to challenge model QPF output with.

Saw some of BTV's winter workshop today, and it appears this season they'll be explicitly forecasting snow ratio grids. They have some cool tools that can blend some guidance together that looks at the max temp within the snow growth zone. So you could have 20% of a 4:1 on one model, 40% of 25:1 on another model and 40% of 12:1 on a third. End result is like a 16:1 snow ratio grid. 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It is definitely a task to get some people off sim radar and QPF and focus on things that involve snow growth and all those processes we try to challenge model QPF output with.

The best example of why is the final big storm of the '14-'15 winter. There were giant gaps in the QPF output, but the models were consistently, I believe the phrase was, "ripping a hole in the atmosphere."

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Saw some of BTV's winter workshop today, and it appears this season they'll be explicitly forecasting snow ratio grids. They have some cool tools that can blend some guidance together that looks at the max temp within the snow growth zone. So you could have 20% of a 4:1 on one model, 40% of 25:1 on another model and 40% of 12:1 on a third. End result is like a 16:1 snow ratio grid. 

That's pretty cool. Probably word well in a place like that where higher ratio snows (both from cold and less wind) probably would work well.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Definitely more juiced amped then even 12z.

Yeah that would flip even ORH to rain and a chunk of CNE/NNE...the 12z prob never goes to liquid over interior SNE.

It's pretty easy to see the differences between the 18z GFS (12z to lesser extent) and guidance like the Euro...the shortwave is allowed to amplify so much more with the PV slightly west of the Euro position, and probably more importantly, the downstream heights in Quebec. Still skeptical though...the thing slows down a lot in the Midwest, which seems tough to do in this flow.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's early to really be throwing around numbers anyway this early...but we're not getting double digits unless the IVT hangs back...it can happen...it did in 2008, but we'll want to wait until we are closer in before worrying about that.

I'd say we have a decent shot of 2-5" right now....build that up over the weekend if need be.

But man......I'd love to plant that 12z euro solution under the mistletoe....

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even the fabled GC would get blasted into the warm sector if the NAM verified. You don't want the NAM if you want to keep the snow. 

I'd remain confident that there would still be snow on the ground.  I'm not worried about it now though  As long as I can get me some qpf.  :)

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'd remain confident that there would still be snow on the ground.  I'm not worried about it now though  As long as I can get me some qpf.  :)

Yeah probably...some matted down slush. Lol. 

Anyway, hopefully for the folks who want more than that after it's over, the NAM will live up to its reputation of being awful at that time range. 

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even the fabled GC would get blasted into the warm sector if the NAM verified. You don't want the NAM if you want to keep the snow. 

I always see you guys say GC?? Does that stand for Great Barrington County??  Or maybe Greenfield County?? Or maybe I'm  totally frieken wrong on both those guesses lol?? 

7 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I always see you guys say GC?? Does that stand for Great Barrington County??  Or maybe Greenfield County?? Or maybe I'm  totally frieken wrong on both those guesses lol?? 

"God's country," meaning anywhere where the population density of cows/moose exceeds that of humans. 

Archived