Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

The question I've been wanting to ask but haven't, is whether we get the sneaky scooter high in this pattern.  With the deep snowcover from song north into Canada it wouldn't take much to bring snow in an iffy setbup

GFS says we get just that on the 26th.

As an aside, that's one of the reasons that it's difficult to completely write off a period as some have done. As long as you aren't in a complete disaster(see 2011, 2015), and have cold/snow nearby, all it takes is some good luck and a well-timed high to make magic happen. Lower chances than in a -EPO/NAO pattern, sure, but not unreasonable by any means.

6 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

The question I've been wanting to ask but haven't, is whether we get the sneaky scooter high in this pattern.  With the deep snowcover from song north into Canada it wouldn't take much to bring snow in an iffy setbup

The snow cover acts more To help with cold delivery. The mid and upper level patterns dictate the surface features. So a scooter high probably wouldn't come about  just from snow cover, but snow does help refrigerate the surface. 

2 minutes ago, SR Airglow said:

GFS says we get just that on the 26th.

As an aside, that's one of the reasons that it's difficult to completely write off a period as some have done. As long as you aren't in a complete disaster(see 2011, 2015), and have cold/snow nearby, all it takes is some good luck and a well-timed high to make magic happen. Lower chances than in a -EPO/NAO pattern, sure, but not unreasonable by any means.

Thank you!  Fingers  crossed because we are on the cusp of a great winter. We have around a foot of snow that is now filled with moisture and about to become frozen through and through, and if we can get some good snow cover on top of that will have a great winter for snowshoeing cross country skiing and snowmobiling 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The snow cover acts more To help with cold delivery. The mid and upper level patterns dictate the surface features. So a scooter high probably wouldn't come about  just from snow cover, but snow does help refrigerate the surface. 

But indirectly if The snow cover helps to create strong thermal gradient, which is now in place near the Massachusetts New Hampshire border doesn't that kind of encourage low pressure to track along or south of that gradient and then doesn't that kind of allow high pressure even if weak,  to build to the north? Even if temporary?

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

But indirectly if The snow cover helps to create strong thermal gradient, which is now in place near the Massachusetts New Hampshire border doesn't that kind of encourage low pressure to track along or south of that gradient and then doesn't that kind of allow high pressure even if weak,  to build to the north? Even if temporary?

I think the features such as jet steaks and 500mb s/ws would overwhelm anything like snow pack. What snowpack can do is to help keep the inversion near surface and limit warm protrusions like today...esp in the interior. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think the features such as jet steaks and 500mb s/ws would overwhelm anything like snow pack. What snowpack can do is to help keep the inversion near surface and limit warm protrusions like today...esp in the interior. 

Thank you!  It's pretty awesome north of con now.  Headed back from chicago today.  Let me know when you are coming up.  I am literally 2-3 miles off of 93 exit 17 in boscawen.  You can have an awesome snow walk on our land and warm up by the fire.  We just finished a Thoreau styled one room stone cottage.

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

Thank you!  It's pretty awesome north of con now.  Headed back from chicago today.  Let me know when you are coming up.  I am literally 2-3 miles off of 93 exit 17 in boscawen.  You can have an awesome snow walk on our land and warm up by the fire.  We just finished a Thoreau styled one room stone cottage.

I was right near you then back in September. At a wedding in an old barn in boscawen. 

Archived