12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i accidentally posted this in the wrong thread like i typically do ..

there is a trend in the operational guidance for something in the east around the 23rd of the month. 

it's been slowly emerging... the UKMET had it more on the 22nd in priors, but has since sans that wave in lieu of better amplitude closer to the 23rd on its 00z guidance as well. 

both the Euro and GFS oper runs have it too... at least enough presentation in the run to wonder if that's the next opportunity - some 7 to 8 days. 

couple of quick points: the flow in the deep south and southeast is, at present, zippo compressible.

the vile plague of too much heights along the entire girdle ...really as it extends from south of Hawaii clear to south of Bermuda along that entire sub-tropical region, is imposing on the seasonality of lower heights coming south from the n, everywhere. as discussed in prior pages and so forth we end up with a killer gradient/speed abundance that's acting like a detriment to organized cyclogen among other annoyance to winter weather enthusiasts.. 

interestingly, even though that is so... i'm up to 6" about on the dot here along Rt 2 so far for my seasonal total, and if things break right...perhaps 5" more on top...  11" is really not terribly far from normal. despite the look and truth of the pattern, i'd say we are getting pretty lucky. 

what is interesting also is that the GEFs -derivatives are really at odds with the GFS's general tempo of the middle and extended range spanning at least 4 cycles and counting.  last night's cdc bar-graphs are truly putrid... fetid-corpse-of-winter-bad, actually. yet, the operational models (thank weather enthusiast god) are not nearly as bad.  note: that assessment doesn't include the EPS.  if it were up to the GEFs entirely... i'd say at some point we don't just break warm but ludicrously so - that spread supports upper tier seasonal departures. 

so why aren't the operational runs (particularly the big brother GFS) showing more of that?   good question - 

be that as it may, it's actually kind of interesting to see the operational model version tending to actually agree on a D7 general tenor in this sort of run-up.  wow. interesting to see where this goes -

Also, just noticed that NCEP is actually on top of that 23rd suggestion as well.. .they go out of their way to mention the possibility of interior ne wintry weather toward the end of next week. 

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

It did, but then didn't

huh, still looks that way as that wave has progressed to the western OV and there's even weak low there at 144... 

granted, i'm/we're not looking for ideal set ups in a beg for mercy pattern (ha!) ...but seriously, we can work with that look -

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

huh, still looks that way as that wave has progressed to the western OV and there's even weak low there at 144... 

granted, i'm/we're not looking for ideal set ups in a beg for mercy pattern (ha!) ...but seriously, we can work with that look -

I thought you were referring to the Euro specifically. Yeah, it's worth watching for sure.

thing is ... if you look closely at the hour 96 over florida and immediately adjacent areas...you have the ungoing maddening pancaked ridge still there, but something changes there that we have seen in recent weeks (really) as the next day unfolds.

progress to panel 120 hr, and the heights there have declined some 8 dm unilaterally... the ridge appears to be attenuating; more importantly, this is happen 'prior' to the wave being ejected out of the rockies you see up there at hour 96 in the models total evolution. 

what that means is that the wave is going to encounter less shearing/absorption - the flow is relaxing ...if perhaps just in time for that.  you really need that flow to relax down there, so that when the southern portion of the trough begins to move into the western Tenn Valley, it still can trigger inflow in that region.  that's privotal in getting things organized soon enough immediately down stream over the upper ma/ne regions.  

the d 7 shows how there is still some shearing taking place...nonetheless, as the trough axis is sloped backward like that... that's because the wave mechanics are still getting absorbed by vestigial ridging down there.  but the thing to remember is that it's less inhibiting to wave mechanics - that's a helluva good start considering where we've been with these unrelenting subtropical heights down there. 

Archived