joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noone whether met or weenie caught it because it's rain and folks generally could care less about rain ,  but if this had been winter there would have been weenies and met weenies all over this screaming a bust was coming . Wasn't sniffed out at all yesterday other than Ginx posting the Euro was wet for SE areas 

We've flirted with autumn appeals over the last ten days or so...  Crispy morning here and there with some light frosts.  But those ensuing afternoons mild-out more than this one will; this is the first bona fide autumn day as far as the type of cool I normally associate to autumn.  It's an opine, but this is the first grade-A success day heading into the transition season for me.

It's a bit of an anomaly, synoptically too.. .The 500 mb thickness' are running in the low 550's, which means keeping temperatures in the 40's, under full unabated sunshine is a bit of a lower-level cold temperature anomaly relative to those particular heights.  We should edge into the low 50s, but even that is an under-achievement.  

I find that interesting ... because there has been a weird kind of emergent property to temperatures that's been going on since ...the end of last April, really, and this fits.  What that is, is that temperatures seem to find the coolest possible realization relative to patterns - regardless of cause, we seem to keep ending up here.  We had heat in the summer, some of it was impressive ...most of it was not.  The overall tenor for warmth this recent summer was to fall 'somehow' short of what the global and in situ appeal of synoptic layouts/contributors would have supported.   

Over the years I've come to notice this about the weather.  There seems to be a secondary "emergent" property that colors the reality of what we experience in the day to day weather here on Earth, and it does at times part company with indicators - at times, much to the chagrin of professionals' actual forecasts, too.  We've all experienced this.  Those that have 'weathered' the storms of internet opines over the course of the last decade's social-media boom, probably are familiar with phrases like: "It just can't snow!"; or in coveted times, "It snows for any reason at all.."

These are sort of affectation achievements by the atmosphere, if you will... They are "emergent properties" born out of the chaotic realm of cause and effect - fractal characteristic tendencies.   The parts that we can observe that integrate the machinery of the atmosphere at any given time  (all the teleconnectors, land, air and sea, model 'trends', Solar and extraterrestrial/astronomical .... all of it), seem to at times result colder, hotter, wetter, drier ...etc, despite having seemingly negligible, observable differences.  It's as though the exact same machine at times spontaneously ops to spit out Corvettes instead of Camaros. 

This sort of plumbs the murkier depths of philosophy/science though; it's perfectly logical to ask if it just 'seems' that way because we simply don't know every quantum state of the three-dimension fluid medium of the atmosphere, and how quantum-scale influences from outside (or in) that can effect it, will effect changes in its states out in time.  Perhaps if we did, the emergent nature of the beast wouldn't seem so ...emergent, but entirely expected.  I like that -

In any event, for those that covet the winter season the most, let us hope this tendency doesn't suddenly fail to emerge as we get past Halloween.

it's like if you took a 19th century cool snap and added an "Indian Summer", then ...bounced ahead a century with GW on top you end up with this Euro solution.

actually though, the SE ridge 're' bulging at least excuse imaginable has actually been gracing the balance of the Global model runs spanning some 4 or 5 days now.  

53 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What do you mean

Whether it's one of those airmasses where the radiational cooling spots are like 15-20F colder than the hilltops...to which I answer no. This is a pretty chilly airmass. Good CAA today gives that away.

Archived