Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I have wondered something for a while and thought I would ask what you think.

When perusing this forum I feel like I really have to dig and dig to find latest ski forecast information for Vermont ski areas. A lot of the models and "storm's-a-brewing" threads are mainly dealing with CT and MA...not necessarily the ski areas I frequent.

Has anyone considered starting a VT Snowcasting thread or something like it on the New England Forum?

I  have been told/noticed a few of you skiers have some good insights. Are any of the meteorologists here avid skiers? If so, are any VT avid skiers and would like a thread to post their info? 

Hopefully this does not ruffle anyone's feathers--not my intent! :) Just hoping to find more information on VT snow forecast here more easily. My mountains tend to be Magic, Killington, Sugarbush but always interested in any VT snow forecasts and ski conditions.

Thanks very much!

12 minutes ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

PS, I realize this is the "skiers" thread...but I feel like it is mostly centered around skiing in general--not Vermont/New Hampshire current ski conditions and forecasts. Not dissing this, I think it's great. But anyone else interested in a skiing-forecast specific thread for VT and NH?  Thank you :)

A lot of that ends up in the NNE thread. PF and adk often provide insights in how it will impact the northern Greens as far down as SB. Admitedly, there isn't much focus on the southern areas because most of us live in the north-central area. ORH is a met who is big into skiing and will occasionally pop in here to give some thoughts. I think it can be tough to do from afar unless you are really familiar with the terrain and associated microclimates. 

50 minutes ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

PS, I realize this is the "skiers" thread...but I feel like it is mostly centered around skiing in general--not Vermont/New Hampshire current ski conditions and forecasts. Not dissing this, I think it's great. But anyone else interested in a skiing-forecast specific thread for VT and NH?  Thank you :)

Check out the single chair weather blog.  Josh fox.

7 hours ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

Thanks very much re: single chair weather blog.

And those are amazing photos of Jay. Love it there!!

There will be talk of ski conditions when a poster goes skiing...PF works at Stowe so we get the run down on that Mtn. Eye wall and JSPIN ski a lot and live in ski country in VT so we get that run down as well..other than that, we get tidbits here and there whenever a flatlander goes skiing. We have a poster who lives and skis Killington, but I haven't seen her around in a while. NH and ME don't get talked about much. Not sure If no one here skis there or if they just don't post when they go. We have snowmobiles who talk conditions in the NNE Thread. We do have one poster who makes a yearly pilgrimage to SR in the spring...he updates us the entire trip.

Anyone know what that slope angle is?  It looks insane from the photographs.

I've topped out around 40-42 degrees at A-Basin in Colorado - long stretches around 40 degrees really is a mind-freak.  I bailed out on the higher angle stuff on the looker's rightmost side of the resort - all day I watched patrol performing rescues up there.  I didn't time it but I watched a rescue while at lunch and it seemed like forever - must have been 25 minutes or more to get em down off the steepest section (>45*).

That said, I've read that Stein's Run at the Bush is ~36-38 degrees (depends on who you ask / which map you look at) and that run doesn't feel particularly steep to me.

Archived