Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

5 minutes ago, CoolMike said:

Anyone know what that slope angle is?  It looks insane from the photographs.

I've topped out around 40-42 degrees at A-Basin in Colorado - long stretches around 40 degrees really is a mind-freak.  I bailed out on the higher angle stuff on the looker's rightmost side of the resort - all day I watched patrol performing rescues up there.  I didn't time it but I watched a rescue while at lunch and it seemed like forever - must have been 25 minutes or more to get em down off the steepest section (>45*).

That said, I've read that Stein's Run at the Bush is ~36-38 degrees (depends on who you ask / which map you look at) and that run doesn't feel particularly steep to me.

At the very top, shortly after the staircase, you are talking probably 55 degrees or something.  It's super steep right there.  But as you walk down the ridge the angle drops. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, radarman said:

At the very top, shortly after the staircase, you are talking probably 55 degrees or something.  It's super steep right there.  But as you walk down the ridge the angle drops. 

Cool, thanks for that info!  One day I'd like to give it a shot - especially if there is a nice dense snowfall!

Every year I get invited to try my hand at Tuckerman's with some old work buddies but I've always bailed out as well.  If you watch the youtube videos of snowboarders they very often (almost always) end up eating it pretty good off of the headwall.  The skiers seem to be able to handle it better.  First I'll make sure I've got a decent life insurance policy in place!

15 minutes ago, CoolMike said:

Cool, thanks for that info!  One day I'd like to give it a shot - especially if there is a nice dense snowfall!

Every year I get invited to try my hand at Tuckerman's with some old work buddies but I've always bailed out as well.  If you watch the youtube videos of snowboarders they very often (almost always) end up eating it pretty good off of the headwall.  The skiers seem to be able to handle it better.  First I'll make sure I've got a decent life insurance policy in place!

I was thinking about doing Tuckermans this spring. My budys on the ski patrol at Stratton did it two springs ago and think I can handle it. I'm not so sure as I'm a border and absolutely cannot afford to get hurt. I'm thinking about going for the hike with them and maybe skipping the steepest section. I have always wanted to do that hike regardless 

33 minutes ago, CoolMike said:

I've topped out around 40-42 degrees at A-Basin in Colorado - long stretches around 40 degrees really is a mind-freak.  I bailed out on the higher angle stuff on the looker's rightmost side of the resort - all day I watched patrol performing rescues up there.  I didn't time it but I watched a rescue while at lunch and it seemed like forever - must have been 25 minutes or more to get em down off the steepest section (>45*).

That said, I've read that Stein's Run at the Bush is ~36-38 degrees (depends on who you ask / which map you look at) and that run doesn't feel particularly steep to me.

Is Stein's Run on the original 'Bush or the north.  I'd read that the two black diamond runs off Mt. Ellen (Scotch Mist and Upper FIS in the Glen Ellen days) were 37°.  On my last day there, many years ago, I wish in retrospect I'd tried FIS - real steep and mogully but wide wide wide.  Scotch Mist, on the other hand, looked to be about 25' wide with a bunch of steel obstacles down the middle.  Got good looks at that from the lift and, no thanks!

12 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was thinking about doing Tuckermans this spring. My budys on the ski patrol at Stratton did it two springs ago and think I can handle it. I'm not so sure as I'm a border and absolutely cannot afford to get hurt. I'm thinking about going for the hike with them and maybe skipping the steepest section. I have always wanted to do that hike regardless 

I agree with you on the boarding aspect in very steep or bumped terrain.  I switched from skiing to boarding a few years ago (since I love surfing too) and now look at mountains totally different.  I skiied for over 30 years and felt confident about nearly any terrain, but now I avoid the following if I can: hard-packed/icy slopes; very steep slopes; tight moguls; tight glades.  At 43 I cannot afford a serious crash and have busted enough bones in other sports to not want to go through all that again.  I look for more "surfy" terrain and boot-deep runs.  I see the mountain as more of a standing wave now rather than chute or run. 

If I ever do Tuck, it will be on skis I think.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Is Stein's Run on the original 'Bush or the north.  I'd read that the two black diamond runs off Mt. Ellen (Scotch Mist and Upper FIS in the Glen Ellen days) were 37°.  On my last day there, many years ago, I wish in retrospect I'd tried FIS - real steep and mogully but wide wide wide.  Scotch Mist, on the other hand, looked to be about 25' wide with a bunch of steel obstacles down the middle.  Got good looks at that from the lift and, no thanks!

Stein's is at lincoln peak a/k/a sugarbush south.

I think what you are referring to as Scotch Mist is now known as Black Diamond, which is skiers right from Upper FIS and the lift line of the summit lift.  It is as narrow as FIS is wide, rocky, and challenging with no snow making and never groomed.  However the moguls form perfectly and you can rip it if you dare.  FIS is exposed and has man made snow and is often rock hard, despite getting an occasional groom.

http://3dskimaps.com/sugarbushnorth/ 

2 hours ago, CoolMike said:

http://3dskimaps.com/sugarbushsouth/

Looks like about 30 degrees on this map.

2 hours ago, CoolMike said:

http://3dskimaps.com/jaypeak/

12 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

There will be talk of ski conditions when a poster goes skiing...PF works at Stowe so we get the run down on that Mtn. Eye wall and JSPIN ski a lot and live in ski country in VT so we get that run down as well..other than that, we get tidbits here and there whenever a flatlander goes skiing. We have a poster who lives and skis Killington, but I haven't seen her around in a while. NH and ME don't get talked about much. Not sure If no one here skis there or if they just don't post when they go. We have snowmobiles who talk conditions in the NNE Thread. We do have one poster who makes a yearly pilgrimage to SR in the spring...he updates us the entire trip.

I hear ya. I'm not so much looking for ski reports but rather the type of forecasting you see in the "event" threads.

In those threads you see a lot of forecasting and modeling for MA and CT ( a LOT for MA) but not so much for up here in VT where there are big mountains to ski!

I do enjoy all the information and build up for a storm so much. However, it seems like when we are getting one the info is mainly for those metro areas but not up here. Sometimes you can get a glimmer of amounts if you really dig through their models and stuff but it's never a given. With a lot of skiers, I'm surprised we don't have more of those focused forecasts.

That said, perhaps I need to learn about meteorology...maybe I can be that person who does all that for VT? Just give me a few years to wrap my head around the science of meteorology though...um, quite a few. :) 

2 minutes ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

I hear ya. I'm not so much looking for ski reports but rather the type of forecasting you see in the "event" threads.

In those threads you see a lot of forecasting and modeling for MA and CT ( a LOT for MA) but not so much for up here in VT where there are big mountains to ski!

I do enjoy all the information and build up for a storm so much. However, it seems like when we are getting one the info is mainly for those metro areas but not up here. Sometimes you can get a glimmer of amounts if you really dig through their models and stuff but it's never a given. With a lot of skiers, I'm surprised we don't have more of those focused forecasts.

That said, perhaps I need to learn about meteorology...maybe I can be that person who does all that for VT? Just give me a few years to wrap my head around the science of meteorology though...um, quite a few. :) 

Well, the mtns haven't really been hit synoptically this year, truthfully the mtns are in a drought. ME has gotten a few good accumulations in the mtns...you won't find the good detailed forecasts in the SNE thread. What you will have in that thread is mentions of bits and pieces concerning the mtns and then usually one of the Mets will go in a bit more depth. The NNE may not get as many posts, but if something is brewing synoptically, there will be mention of it in that thread. You basically have to follow both threads. This forum is definitely SNE focused, but if you follow along you will find what you are looking for. PF and JSpin do really well keeping keeping us updated on upslope that effects the spine of the Green Mtns.

14 minutes ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

The NNE thread is probably the best place for what you’re seeking.  There won’t be nearly the flood of analysis that you’ll see for the metro areas, but if something is brewing for ski country in the northern half of VT, you can bet that PF, adk, and others will have some discussion and model analysis.

5 hours ago, Redmorninglight said:

I agree with you on the boarding aspect in very steep or bumped terrain.  I switched from skiing to boarding a few years ago (since I love surfing too) and now look at mountains totally different.  I skiied for over 30 years and felt confident about nearly any terrain, but now I avoid the following if I can: hard-packed/icy slopes; very steep slopes; tight moguls; tight glades.  At 43 I cannot afford a serious crash and have busted enough bones in other sports to not want to go through all that again.  I look for more "surfy" terrain and boot-deep runs.  I see the mountain as more of a standing wave now rather than chute or run. 

If I ever do Tuck, it will be on skis I think.

Definitely feel the same way about boarding. I hate hate moguls. Ice I have unfortunately gotten used to but obviously try to avoid it. I like nice long blue cruisers to really carve. I really improved my ridding this year by putting  in the time. I'm at 8 days on the season so far which is more then I usually get for a whole season. 

I just hope the cutter doesn't add another boiler plate layer. I'd almost rather it rain then another sleet and ice storm. Southern Vermont which doesn't upslope well at all has been sleet city this season 

10 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Snowridge on the Tug Hill Plateau is getting Sierra Nevadad!!! I think they're up to 3ft the last 3 days. 

I have to try to hit that place during a period like this just to ride powder all day.  Who cares that the vertical is only 500' when it dumps snow for days?  I bet it's hardly ever crowded and the people are chill.  I go past that area every fall for deer since my buddy has a hunt camp up in St. Lawrence Co.  Unique area for sure.

I have to try to hit that place during a period like this just to ride powder all day.  Who cares that the vertical is only 500' when it dumps snow for days?  I bet it's hardly ever crowded and the people are chill.  I go past that area every fall for deer since my buddy has a hunt camp up in St. Lawrence Co.  Unique area for sure.

I think I'm going this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, snowgeek said:

I think I'm going this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck and take some photos.  I am committed to chaperoning the high school (i teach science) ski trip the next several weekends, but we only day trip to the Poconos in PA.  I will be up at Killington Feb 15-20 with my family and some friends.  Hoping Vermont holds tough with the cutter and then recovers before the holiday week.  I have not been riding once yet this season.  Latest start ever!  

2 hours ago, Redmorninglight said:

Good luck and take some photos.  I am committed to chaperoning the high school (i teach science) ski trip the next several weekends, but we only day trip to the Poconos in PA.  I will be up at Killington Feb 15-20 with my family and some friends.  Hoping Vermont holds tough with the cutter and then recovers before the holiday week.  I have not been riding once yet this season.  Latest start ever!  

Will do!  Meeting my son who is in Rochester....2ish hours from each of us.  I teach science too....Earth Science and Meteorology.  Poconos can be fun.  Skied there a bunch as a kid.  Yeah, hopefully Killington can avoid another bout of rain.  

16 hours ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

Awesome. Thanks for your responses :)

I don't think there are any avid skiers among the frequent posters from Maine, though that's an argument from silence.  Several are big time sledders (except for last "winter") and at least one climbs the local mountains in all seasons, posting some great pics.  Last time I went skiing was shortly before being a passenger in a pickup that went head-to-head with a loaded log truck, 36 years ago.  Now I stick to the snowshoes.  Of course, there's no real reason to leave the VT mountains and drive to Maine to ski, especially as traveling across the meridians in NNE gets gnarly - like the longer rivers, all the interstates run north-south.

You know, I really wish Saddleback Ski area hadn't closed. It is pretty far from any "town" and it's all dirt road. The Mtn itself has a nice lodge, and of course condos. However, there is nothing really for families unless they load everyone in the vehicle and had back down the long dirt road to "town" and even then there isn't much to do. If you're an adult, you can go pub hopping. 

But the Mtn offered great scenery and skiing. I think all the money is in attracting families which Saddleback has no real appeal.

I thought Saddleback was a pretty good family mountain. Had a great beginners area. Really large and it was separated nicely from the rest of the mountain so you didn't get these people skiing 60mph past them. 

I think its biggest problem was how far north it is. Sunday River doesn't have jack to do either outside of skiing and Bethel Maine isn't exactly different from Rangeley in entertainment but they do very well. But SR is only like 3 hours from BOS and maybe 90 minutes from greater Portland. Saddleback is another hour. Makes a difference. They probably could improve on the lodging a bit but I think that is probably 3rd or 4th on the list of issues. 

If they could have gotten that new chair installed to replace the Rangeley double chair then I think it really would have added another  incentive to attract higher numbers of serious skiers. 

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I thought Saddleback was a pretty good family mountain. Had a great beginners area. Really large and it was separated nicely from the rest of the mountain so you didn't get these people skiing 60mph past them. 

I think its biggest problem was how far north it is. Sunday River doesn't have jack to do either outside of skiing and Bethel Maine isn't exactly different from Rangeley in entertainment but they do very well. But SR is only like 3 hours from BOS and maybe 90 minutes from greater Portland. Saddleback is another hour. Makes a difference. They probably could improve on the lodging a bit but I think that is probably 3rd or 4th on the list of issues. 

If they could have gotten that new chair installed to replace the Rangeley double chair then I think it really would have added another  incentive to attract higher numbers of serious skiers. 

Not only is it an extra hour but its an extra hour on roads that aren't exactly interstates.  

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Not only is it an extra hour but its an extra hour on roads that aren't exactly interstates.  

Yeah not an easy drive...esp in winter. You def don't want your car to break down on some of those roads up in that wilderness.

Yes, Saddleback does have a good beginners area. I was talking about family amenities after you were done skiing for the day. Basically, if you don't eat in the main lodge, you have to drive to town. Most kids can't ski all day. So having something else to do besides skiing is almost necessary. When I rented a slope side condo, my friend and I skied almost the entire day, went back to the condo and got cleaned up for dinner. I remember sitting in the Condo wondering what to do for the rest of the evening. It wasn't even close to the normal time I prefer to go to sleep. We ate in the lodge one night, but the end night we drove all the way back to town to find some different food. It is inconvenient, and would not be a good first choice for family vacations.

5 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Yes, Saddleback does have a good beginners area. I was talking about family amenities after you were done skiing for the day. Basically, if you don't eat in the main lodge, you have to drive to town. Most kids can't ski all day. So having something else to do besides skiing is almost necessary. When I rented a slope side condo, my friend and I skied almost the entire day, went back to the condo and got cleaned up for dinner. I remember sitting in the Condo wondering what to do for the rest of the evening. It wasn't even close to the normal time I prefer to go to sleep. We ate in the lodge one night, but the end night we drove all the way back to town to find some different food. It is inconvenient, and would not be a good first choice for family vacations.

You def want to stay in Rangeley when you go to Saddleback....not much up at the mountain itself.

Archived