Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-17 discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Looks like 8 members have some snow here. Not bad this far out. I'll take panel 4 and 9. :D

ding ding ding.ill gladly take those but not starting until late pm on the 8th please lol. my wife would love to have some paid snow days from school...i just dont want to drive up 29 from danville to lynchburg in that. 

1 hour ago, griteater said:

Last three 12z runs of Euro Ensemble have shown improvement toward a below normal temperature pattern.  These maps are 5 day averages of 500mb Height Anomalies and 850mb Temperature Anomalies for Dec 7-12 from the last 3 runs.

Definitely perks your interest for mid month, but seems like we been talking about potential patterns day 10+ for a while now.  This feels a little different then the previous ones (knock on wood). 

20 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Definitely perks your interest for mid month, but seems like we been talking about potential patterns day 10+ for a while now.  This feels a little different then the previous ones (knock on wood). 

Seeing cold like that show up and trend nicely on the EPS is definitely different. Previously we were just trying to get the PAC sorted out, this time around we actually have deep cold entering Canada, and it wouldn't take much to send that south and east. The trends on the EPS are very telling and I would probably put money on that GIF.

10 minutes ago, Jon said:

Seeing cold like that show up and trend nicely on the EPS is definitely different. Previously we were just trying to get the PAC sorted out, this time around we actually have deep cold entering Canada, and it wouldn't take much to send that south and east. The trends on the EPS are very telling and I would probably put money on that GIF.

The PAC getting sorted out and what happens to the trop PV.  Looks promising for something other then the warmth we are used to. 

Well here it is, last CFSv2 run for the month of December.

xzdPY2f.gif

Decent from what we saw yesterday with mega ridge setting up over the east. Should be a wild month with brief warm ups only to be swallowed by the next cold front out of Canada, major models predicting several cold fronts and at least normal if not BN temps for the month overall. Major difference from last year.

P4ynQwf.gif

Last year's December forecast worked out pretty darn well.

sJkUofr.gif

1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I don't even know why I bother paying attention to the long range forecasts. One day winter is supposed to be cold and snowy, the next day it's going to be a torch all winter. Enough is enough. Just let the weather work itself out and forget any forecast past 7 days.

That's what I'm saying. We already know no long range model is going to just lock on and stay the same at this point. Look what we have today. Flooding rains and tornadoes and we had extreme drought conditions for months before this. This volatile pattern could easily produce something big with one push of cold air.

1 minute ago, GaStorm said:

That's what I'm saying. We already know no long range model is going to just lock on and stay the same at this point. Look what we have today. Flooding rains and tornadoes and we had extreme drought conditions for months before this. This volatile pattern could easily produce something big with one push of cold air.

Yeah i'm not even going to worry about the long range forecast, even if it says this will be the warmest winter of all time. I have no faith in the long range. Lets just take it one week at a time. No need to worry about something over a week away. 

2 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

It's the blocking that keeps the model swinging IMO. As a Western trough generally corresponds to Eastern ridge so, models having problems dealing with the blocking. 

Latest Euro Ens trends are keeping the poleward Aleutian ridging in tact pretty well, but there is some weakening of the Iceland based ridging.  Basically we are looking at some ups and downs and near normal temperatures I'd say for Dec 1-15.  Nothing in the pipeline denoting a locked in cold or warm pattern.

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

Latest Euro Ens trends are keeping the poleward Aleutian ridging in tact pretty well, but there is some weakening of the Iceland based ridging.  Basically we are looking at some ups and downs and near normal temperatures I'd say for Dec 1-15.  Nothing in the pipeline denoting a locked in cold or warm pattern.

That was my take, also. Utterly seasonable, which is a win. 

After reading the past many posts, starting with Jon's CanSIPS', it seems (at least to me) that for a couple of years or more we've been hanging on to and cheering long range models showing "something great coming" that, with a great degree of consistency, simply have not panned out.

So - one of 2 things will have to occur - 1) The LR torch model runs we're seeing this year are as reliable as the prior years' "cold and snowy eventually" ones, and as with the past the current torch models will be 95% wrong (1) (history repeats?), or 2) We finally have models that have "learned" and we now can take solace in their reliability.

At least thinking this keeps my model anxiety level low. Hope it helps someone else, as well  :fever:

(1) Number pulled out of the air

Archived