Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016-17 discussion

lookingnorth

40 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

Here is DT's extensive Winter Forecast.  The short version is 24 pages and the long version is 34.  Looks to have the best winter weather chances the latter half of December and January before an early spring.

DT's Winter Forecast

DT says..."it is our view that doing the science and going through the steps is as important as coming up with the right answer. A lot of people don't understand this as the emphasis in our culture is on getting the right answer. For example, if I forecast the winter pattern based upon the number of socks in my dresser drawer, and the forecast turns out to be correct, it doesn't mean my technique was scientifically based and/or it can be used in the future."

:lmao:

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riskpulse had one of the better winter outlooks I saw last year.  This years' version is out...https://riskpulse.com/blog/2016-2017-winter-weather-outlook/?utm_campaign=2016-17 Winter Weather Outlook&utm_content=42386485&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

"While this past summer and previous winter broke records for warmth, we do not expect the winter of 2016 – 2017 to repeat the pattern. Our current research suggests this winter will  begin on the warm side across the central and eastern U.S., but will become much more variable during the core winter months of January and February. The variability is a feature for both temperature and precipitation. In other words, the theme of this winter is heightened temperature variability. Additionally, the general precipitation themes this winter will be for drier conditions south and wetter conditions north."

54u9a1.gif

dvb43.gif

11 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

why are we posting 384 hour maps

At 6 hours, you can clearly see the classic Autumnal M pattern, entrenched over North America.  This pattern, common in Autumn months, usually prevents the penetration of cold and snow deep into the SE US.  Unfortunately, it seems locked in for at least the next 24-36 hours.

gfs_z500_mslp_nhem_2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

At 6 hours, you can clearly see the classic Autumnal M pattern, entrenched over North America.  This pattern, common in Autumn months, usually prevents the penetration of cold and snow deep into the SE US.  Unfortunately, it seems locked in for at least the next 24-36 hours.

Yea it will a take a strong cutter with heavy rain here before some true arctic air can swoop in. I think it will happen in December but we will have to wait until the tail end of the cold air abating to see what moisture we can get to work with for any frozen mischief prior to Christmas outside of the mountains. Looks messy but doable. More on this after Thanksgiving...but I believe will soon see a potential threat emerge before Christmas. 

41 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Nice aleutian ridge late in the GEFS.  Be nice if the new EPS agrees.

Pretty much agrees. Some solid cold air masses should be dropping out of Canada during the first half of Dec if the pattern progresses like that. The waiting game on the western trough will have folks on edge though. lol

34 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Why do you even post. 

Lookie here, wilksbro posted about the end of the GFS run in the other thread lol

51 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

I like end of the GFS run...-11 degrees in the mid west and getting colder. More times than not, it will rain itself out in the Carolinas before any super cold dry outbreak can slide on east. 

Maybe we can squeeze out two significant precip events before a few brutal days of cold first half of December.

Very believable run to me because of climo resemblance. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Pretty much agrees. Some solid cold air masses should be dropping out of Canada during the first half of Dec if the pattern progresses like that. The waiting game on the western trough will have folks on edge though. lol

Well, that will depend on the strength of the high pressure that drops down. We would like to see 1044+mb highs in Montana to push a front to the east coast, but that don't typically occur until later in the season. I don't mind the "west dump" at this point.

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

Thanks CR, would be nice if we were blocking actual cold air

Yeah, agreed.  The block is really, really nice.  Unfortunately, there's this weird feature in the west (it's name is escaping me right now!!) that instigates a nice, warm southwesterly flow into the southeast, producing toasty conditions, with occasional clouds and sprinkles.

5834a685b7b6d_ScreenShot2016-11-22at3_10_39PM.thumb.png.f6fce3b8ff13b5391bbad678bb1dc08c.png

7 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah, agreed.  The block is really, really nice.  Unfortunately, there's this weird feature in the west (it's name is escaping me right now!!) that instigates a nice, warm southwesterly flow into the southeast, producing toasty conditions, with occasional clouds and sprinkles.

Here's the Day 10-15 average

20k516q.gif

It's not a terrible look, IMO.  Looks like normal November weather to me.  We need a southwest west/southwest flow to bring the moisture.  With the blocking being modeled it's not like we (TN/NC) couldn't squeeze out something wintry (even if it was on the backside of a marginal event) from mid December on.  As that trough comes east it would have to slide under the blocking shown which would leave someone just north of us with a shot for some snow.  

At the very least it's a COMPLETELY different look than we have seen for the last couple of months and a real opportunity to put some water on these fires that are torching both of our areas!

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

^^ Nice.  One of the strongest blocking signals we've seen in a long time (in met Winter).

Cold is still on the wrong side of the world! That looks like the map JB has been posting since 1st of November, but never happens!? Need to get this pattern rollin, like doo doo brown!

4 hours ago, packbacker said:

CFS moving towards colder weather for Dec...just not for the E/SE and the lovely SER.  Plains/MW would love this.

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 8.07.10 AM.png

I expect it to bleed a bit more east, that's impressive cold and it's not going to stop in the plains...heat over the EC is overdone, have to wait until the last day of the month runs 7 days away for your best predicitor with the CFSv2

Archived