Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

On 8/24/2016 at 8:55 AM, doncat said:

Still a week to go but will probably have warmest August on station record here...Warmest was in 2005.

Was on track for one of the warmest Augusts here until the past few nights in the 50s. My mean temperature is 76.1F right now; the next several days should increase that though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, doncat said:

After a wet July, back to dryness with 1.21" here for the month. Four months this year have had less than 2" of precip...Year to date total of 25.55" is about 7" below normal.

GFS is bone dry for its entire run.  Unless we get some help from the tropics, we could be in for another dry stretch.  

30 minutes ago, doncat said:

After a wet July, back to dryness with 1.21" here for the month. Four months this year have had less than 2" of precip...Year to date total of 25.55" is about 7" below normal.

That's the nature of hit or miss summer convection around here. Several spots are seeing a top 10 driest August while there was flash flooding and

rainfall amounts over 5 inches along the LI North Shore and Central New Jersey. ISP is only .89 on the month while sections of the 

North Fork are at 7.00"+ with 2 flash flood warmed events this month.

4 hours ago, doncat said:

Only 0.69" for August here (which must be record dry, I would assume) after a 9.5" July. 28.73" on the year.

1988 had a wet warm July and then a hot dry August although some parts of the area had near normal rainfall...I suspect 1988 did also...It's mostly hit or miss showers this time of year...it looks like another July August with no 50 degree temperatures in Central Park...2007 was the last year with both July and August having at least one day in the 50's...1988 had 50's in both months...from 1972 to 1977 NYC saw at least a 59 degree temperature in both July and August...

94 with 73DP here. Sitting in the yard after a short day at the office. 

I will say this- the lack of rain this month is brutal on my lawn. I don't have a huge yard so I try and keep it green because I like to be out here. I've got the sprinkler going for 30 mins a day in early morning and the grass still looks like crap. 

This summer as a whole has been extremely dry for me.

June - 1.17" (avg temp 69.0F)

July - 4.08" (avg temp 78.8F)

Aug - 0.58" (avg temp 80.2F so far)

July was more or less normal, I don't know what happened there but it needs to happen again. It's been way too warm/hot to have such a rainfall deficit. Phoenix (of all places) has received more than twice as much rain as I have this month.

46 minutes ago, Cfa said:

July was more or less normal, I don't know what happened there but it needs to happen again. It's been way too warm/hot to have such a rainfall deficit. Phoenix (of all places) has received more than twice as much rain as I have this month.

It's actually been even slightly drier here lol

2 hours ago, Cfa said:

A little wetter here with 9" for the summer but still around 4" below normal.

LGA continues as the warmest August on record at 81.5 degrees to go along with the 4th warmest July on record.

This places LGA in the lead for the warmest July and August 2 month period on record ahead of 1955 and 2005.

Warmest July and August period at LGA:

81.3....2016...through 8/26

20 hours ago, Cfa said:

Wow it's been very wet by me , over 10 inches in July and 4.5 for August . Have to look back for June but I'm sure I was close to 5 inches . Yearly total 0f 35 plus 

the high minimums are mostly responsible for the high monthly averages...the heat has been spread out over two months now and going on three months...1983 was similar...it had higher maximums but lower minimums...the hottest 30 day period in 1983 was 80.9 and so far this year the hottest 30 days is 80.3...Both above the average of near 78.0...any year with a 30 day period 80.0 or higher is a hot summer to me and it is reflected in my electric bill...

Archived