SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tuesday storm threat! (6-7-16)

ineedsnow

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could really use some low 60s dewpoints up here.

it looks like this is a mechanical forcing event...  obviously we want the juicy cape for the green-blue house bomb lightning bolts and UVM cores that can tighten updrafts and so forth, ... but, we could end up with meso bows with that linear shear look.  

it looks like this is a mechanical forcing event...  obviously we want the juicy cape for the green-blue house bomb lightning bolts and UVM cores that can tighten updrafts and so forth, ... but, we could end up with meso bows with that linear shear look.  

Yeah, the really cold H5 temps will help us get enough CAPE for storms anyway. But higher dews would make for a more substantial event given the forcing you mentioned.

Does anyone keep track of how often the SPC puts us in slight, enhanced, moderate or high risk?  I know enhanced is new.  Probably never have had a high risk but I wonder if a day like the Worcester tornado setup would have put us in high for that afternoon.  Anyone keep records?  I have not looked at teh SPC site in detail maybe its on there somewhere.

Does anyone keep track of how often the SPC puts us in slight, enhanced, moderate or high risk?  I know enhanced is new.  Probably never have had a high risk but I wonder if a day like the Worcester tornado setup would have put us in high for that afternoon.  Anyone keep records?  I have not looked at teh SPC site in detail maybe its on there somewhere.

I'm sure there are GIS methods to do this, but you could also search each day's outlook back to 2003. Or search severe events back to 2000 by state and see if they were included in an outlook.

Regarding high risks, the closest we've come is May 1998 with western zones getting clipped. For a tornado environment I would say it's nearly impossible. I don't think our coverage would ever get high enough in New England to qualify, so it would have to be some well organized derecho type event to get a high. 6/1/11 is as close as you'll get to 1953, and that got us a moderate.

I'm sure there are GIS methods to do this, but you could also search each day's outlook back to 2003. Or search severe events back to 2000 by state and see if they were included in an outlook.

Regarding high risks, the closest we've come is May 1998 with western zones getting clipped. For a tornado environment I would say it's nearly impossible. I don't think our coverage would ever get high enough in New England to qualify, so it would have to be some well organized derecho type event to get a high. 6/1/11 is as close as you'll get to 1953, and that got us a moderate.

The 6/6/10 tornado watch probs argued for something very close to high risk and the results probably precluded it henceforth.

The 6/6/10 tornado watch probs argued for something very close to high risk and the results probably precluded it henceforth.

Given that they've created enhanced now as an extra category so that moderates aren't issued as much, I imagine high risks around here will be even more rare.

I think tomorrow will be the kind of day where storms form in southern NH early and we get southwest upstream development and storms start rotating a bit once they are about 10-15 miles of the north shore coast. I think first batch will be semi linear with a few kinks in the line right over 495, around the Lowell, MA area. A secondary scattering of storms will prob form a bit farther SW along or just north of the Mass Pike, and will push ESE toward the MA/CT/RI line late afternoon-early eve. If storms for a bit later than HIRES models are showing, and a bit farther west toward the CT River Valley, I think that will give more time for destabilization in eastern MA and stronger storms. If not the severe threat will prob be confined to immediate coastal areas. 

Best low level wind shear appears to be earlier in the day, so these type of storms that hit the north shore of MA often pick up a bit of rotation especially if they hit a sea breeze like we've seen June 2 2007, July 18 2012, July 1 2015 are a few that come to mind where storms formed in the early afternoon and had Tor Warnings in NE MA. Somewhat cold 500mb temps and moderate instability will produce some 1in - 1.5in hail in a strong cell or two. Maybe even a funnel cloud or wall cloud. 

I'm gonna try and do some chasing between Peobody, MA and Newburyport, MA. Ipswich area usually gets wrecked with these "see text" events. 

Here's a map I drew a few hours ago. post-6270-0-96509300-1465262801_thumb.jp

may be pinned ...  talk of the town in an otherwise dearth of interesting weather. 

the castellanus cloud types are interesting ...  bases 10K and then domes poking above at sunrise typically does herald a day of instability - mlv lapse rates are exposed. nice linear event potential. 

Archived