Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday
jburns

21st Century Banter Thread

13 minutes ago, Jon said:

I think PSU deserves it, but I think the committee will put OSU in.

Apparently PSU has a 14% chance to make playoffs with the Clemson win, while OSU has a 87% chance. http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-college-football-predictions/

PSU definitely has an argument. They beat Ohio State and they are champions of the best conference in football. It's going to come down to Penn State vs Washington as to who gets the #4 spot. I think the committee will look at the fact Washington lost 1 game and Penn State lost 2 games plus the fact that Penn State lost by 39 to Michigan. I think Penn State will end up #5. I have Bama #1, Clemson #2, Ohio State #3, and Washington #4.

9 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

You seem very optimistic. Are you sure Penn State will be in the playoffs ?

I am optomistic. If they dont get in, then the system is broken.  They should be the #4.  No one including me, thought they would be Big 10 champs at the start of the season.  Plus they beat Ohio state which says something as well.  I guess we will find out but I think they deserve it.  Of course my opinion is slightly biased.

9 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

PSU definitely has an argument. They beat Ohio State and they are champions of the best conference in football. It's going to come down to Penn State vs Washington as to who gets the #4 spot. I think the committee will look at the fact Washington lost 1 game and Penn State lost 2 games plus the fact that Penn State lost by 39 to Michigan. I think Penn State will end up #5. I have Bama #1, Clemson #2, Ohio State #3, and Washington #4.

If Penn State doesnt make it, I would switch your #3 and 4 around.  

7 hours ago, Avdave said:

I am optomistic. If they dont get in, then the system is broken.  They should be the #4.  No one including me, thought they would be Big 10 champs at the start of the season.  Plus they beat Ohio state which says something as well.  I guess we will find out but I think they deserve it.  Of course my opinion is slightly biased.

Well that didnt work as I thought. Unreal.

Time to smell the Roses which isnt too bad

Sometimes it really sucks living in the SE, especially East of the Apps! Whole freakin county's going to be in the icebox this week and we're stuck with mid 50s for highs/40s for lows. When it does finally cool off, it's noting more than a run of the mill early december front - mid 40s/mid 20s. Aaaarrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Sometimes it really sucks living in the SE, especially East of the Apps! Whole freakin county's going to be in the icebox this week and we're stuck with mid 50s for highs/40s for lows. When it does finally cool off, it's noting more than a run of the mill early december front - mid 40s/mid 20s. Aaaarrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!!

It looks to me like the NWS is forecasting a high of 40 on Friday in your area with a low near 20 on Sat morning. I wouldn't call that mid 40s/mid 20s ! I wouldn't necessarily call that a run of the mill early December front, especially with how warm December's have been the last few years.

24 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Where'd all this rain come from? I was told by Shetley it would never rain again. 

Supposedly no more than 5 inches from November through March. Well iv received 4.8 inches in less than a week with another inch or two on the way this week. 

dangit, been trying to catch an early snow for years and get a Christmas tree with the family while it was snowing.  Looks like we should have come up Saturday.  Any good places to go within a couple hours of Asheville for this thursday and hopefully catch some flakes while getting the tree?

Ray is saying guidance is backing off moisture for Thursday.  Just need some flakes, don't need a blizzard.

17 minutes ago, NGTim said:

dangit, been trying to catch an early snow for years and get a Christmas tree with the family while it was snowing.  Looks like we should have come up Saturday.  Any good places to go within a couple hours of Asheville for this thursday and hopefully catch some flakes while getting the tree?

Ray is saying guidance is backing off moisture for Thursday.  Just need some flakes, don't need a blizzard.

Basically any county that borders Tennessee will see flakes. I would say head towards Avery county or somewhere in that area for the most flakes.

2 hours ago, NGTim said:

Yeah up in Madison county, Haywood county near Max Patch or Harmons den. Pretty much along the TN/NC BOARDER.

On 12/4/2016 at 9:26 PM, Snowless in Carrollton said:

It looks to me like the NWS is forecasting a high of 40 on Friday in your area with a low near 20 on Sat morning. I wouldn't call that mid 40s/mid 20s ! I wouldn't necessarily call that a run of the mill early December front, especially with how warm December's have been the last few years.

Meh... I'm usually a couple degrees cooler than Greenville, especially at night, and I expect to see some upper teens at least one morning. But for Greenville, WYFF just calling for mid 40s/ mid-upper 20s, then back up to 50s/30s (NWS definitely a couple degrees cooler though). All in all, nothing to write home about for December, especially with what much of the country is seeing. Not to mention that most on our same lattitide, but West of the Apps, will see colder. Chattanooga, Huntsville, Memphis, etc, all progged to see at least one day of 30s for highs. (Dang Apps always block the good stuff!) I want the freakin freezer! Maybe later in the month...

This is where the banter goes just in case folks are confused. ;)

Looks like Wilkesdud's 12/5-6th snow didn't work out....go figure.

13 minutes ago, metalicwx366 said:

Guys if you want snow, just come here to Hawaii where we have 3 feet of snow on the ground with more to come. :snowing:

what's the highest measurable snow depth up there at 13000 ft plus? Just curious.. 

You would think that if the higher elevations of Hawaii can get 3 feet of snow that we could at least get a few flurries in Georgia ! I just looked up the climate for Mauna Kea, at 13,800' in elevation, and the coldest they've ever been is 12. Heck, we've been as cold as  -17 in Georgia.

18 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

You would think that if the higher elevations of Hawaii can get 3 feet of snow that we could at least get a few flurries in Georgia ! I just looked up the climate for Mauna Kea, at 13,800' in elevation, and the coldest they've ever been is 12. Heck, we've been as cold as  -17 in Georgia.

combine that with insane orographic lifting tho... although there are spots in SE Alaska that receive more snow in a year that we receive in a decade, and have all time record lows just barely under 0 Fahrenheit. 'Magine it's the ocean effect, like west coast of Japan... another place that probably gets way more snow than North Georgia, but not as historically cold. Like I said ten years ago, if Kentucky were just another Great Lake, we'd be sitting pretty.

16 minutes ago, whamby said:

combine that with insane orographic lifting tho... although there are spots in SE Alaska that receive more snow in a year that we receive in a decade, and have all time record lows just barely under 0 Fahrenheit. 'Magine it's the ocean effect, like west coast of Japan... another place that probably gets way more snow than North Georgia, but not as historically cold. Like I said ten years ago, if Kentucky were just another Great Lake, we'd be sitting pretty.

It's just not fair that God decided to put the Great Lakes in an area that already gets plenty of snow as it is. We could definitely use a Giant great lake somewhere not too far north of here because lord knows we need all the help we can get !

7 hours ago, Jon said:

Looks like 12/5-6th snow didn't work out....go figure.

This is why you look at temps closer to the surface and the euro and not just the 540 line on the gfs. They even had to issue a special weather statement for Surry/Wilkes. If you want me to help you read soundings I can just shoot me a PM no problem I have plenty of educational links.

Grandfather-Mtn-snow-Dec-4-2016-1.jpg

4 hours ago, metalicwx366 said:

Guys if you want snow, just come here to Hawaii where we have 3 feet of snow on the ground with more to come. :snowing:

That has been very impressive. I've said before I would love to take a trip to the big island (stay at Hilo) and see the volcanoes. It's on my list... 

26 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

This is why you look at temps closer to the surface and the euro and not just the 540 line on the gfs. They even had to issue a special weather statement for Surry/Wilkes. If you want me to help you read soundings I can just shoot me a PM no problem I have plenty of educational links.

No thanks.

Which do you prefer,,

Crippling ice storm?

White out during rush hour?

Tornado?

Hurricane?

Just reading through main thread and we hear it every year about ice storms. To me all of the above have the potential to be deadly without proper preparation and warning. Myself I don't mind an ice storm. I'm prepared. I don't get out and drive in it and have a generator. Cut down 14 trees that could damage the house in wind or ice.

I'd take any type of winter storm over a tornado or hurricane.

42 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

I think that most of us on here already know how to read soundings. Thanks anyway...