Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey - A couple of questions if someone will be so kind:

1) Buckeye - Haven't seen her post lately - is she OK?

2) Here #2 in a nutshell -

With the new format, I can continue a message (private) but cannot seem to start a new one to an individual. I'll go to his/her "profile", click message, the name appears with an X next to it; I do the message and it says it sent - but no record of it being sent and no reply - and in this case this person always responds but not to "new" messages - I've had to start using old messages to get through to this particular individual - and I get a prompt response - so it is not an "ignore" or "blow off" situation.

What is the step by step protocol to send a new message/new topic, and what am I doing wrong?

News about contests ...

Hello, I am dropping into all regional forum banter or chat threads to post some information about contests that you may find interesting. 

On the general forum of American Weather Forums, we have a temperature forecast contest that has been going on here since Eastern gave birth to American Weather. We would welcome some new entrants for 2017; the contest is simple to enter and just takes a minute once you've decided on your forecasts. There are nine locations across the U.S. including ATL. We predict anomalies from 1981-2010 normals, and the forecasts are scored promptly at the end of each month. I am drawing your attention to the contest a month in advance of the new contest year for two reasons -- (1) people get very busy and distracted around New Years, and (2) the contest has a four-seasons component for the 12 months starting Dec 2016. So this is a good month to jump in and get in a practice round before 2017. Some of the regulars in the contest include well-known forum members that you'll recognize, and the standards are pretty high (albeit I am dragging them down somewhat). So it's a good place to test out your forecasting insights against some of the better forecasters on American Weather. Here's a portal into that forecast contest thread ...

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49268-december-2016-temperature-forecast-contest/

Meanwhile, one other contest I can recommend if you want to make a snowfall forecast for 25 locations in the northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states for Dec to Mar winter 2016-17. This is a separate website that runs just this contest and storm forecast contests that you can enter with e-mail notification provided to remind you if a storm is brewing. Once again, you would recognize a few names in that contest (recent years have seen 15-20 regular participants) and the standards are pretty good, once again an ideal place to work on your forecasting or show it off depending on where things are at. 

http://www.newx-forecasts.com/#RULES

That's the link for the Northeast U.S. snowfall contest website. 

Just to complete the tour, you may know that the central/western forum is the place to go for annual severe weather forecasts (most people make them in the winter months, the 2017 thread will probably open up soon). And make a note that there's an annual North Atlantic hurricane forecast contest also in the general forum here at Am-Wx. I organize that one as well, and usually run an announcement thread in May. 

Well, enjoy your winter and maybe we'll see some (more) of your sub-forum members taking part. 

1 hour ago, Avdave said:

Are you being serious Clark?

yes NC spent a lot of $$ researching it after the ice storm years ago...would have been first in the nation to make it law. when it comes to spending big money i would like to see something for the people, everyone, and it makes "billions" not sound as bad.better to have something to show for our debt at least

46 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

yes NC spent a lot of $$ researching it after the ice storm years ago...would have been first in the nation to make it law. when it comes to spending big money i would like to see something for the people, everyone, and it makes "billions" not sound as bad.better to have something to show for our debt at least

The studies showed that the cost would outweigh the benefits. Several states have studied this and all came to the same conclusion.

1 minute ago, Avdave said:

Nice.  I have so many damn leaves still, I may never put things up this year.

Yeah, I got all the leaves up in the front yard from my trees, but now leaves from other trees are blowing into the yard. Guess I'll have to get them up this weekend if I get the chance. Just hard to find the time now with the kids having basketball practice on Saturdays and having less daylight to get it all done after church and lunch with the family on Sundays. They seem to have fallen later this year, too. 

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

It was much harder in 1921 than it is today.

Heh.  This.  So much of the power infrastructure was built decades ago.  And it's not like we spend a lot of money modernizing stuff just for fun.... it tends to sit like it is until there's a serious need to change or fix it.  Also, burying things up there is not as easy as it is in other parts of the country, where you just have to dig a trench out of some dirt... lots and lots of bedrock. 

1 hour ago, CherokeeGA said:

Heh.  This.  So much of the power infrastructure was built decades ago.  And it's not like we spend a lot of money modernizing stuff just for fun.... it tends to sit like it is until there's a serious need to change or fix it.  Also, burying things up there is not as easy as it is in other parts of the country, where you just have to dig a trench out of some dirt... lots and lots of bedrock. 

Haha that is true. I live in a town called Graniteville. Across the street from a company called Rock of Ages, which is one of the largest monumental stone manufactures in the world. When I fenced in my back yard, I quickly remembered why they called it Graniteville. 

1 hour ago, drfranklin said:

QuikTrip>Sheetz (QT has more than 30 locations in the Upstate now - I was not impressed visiting Sheetz in Greensboro recently)

And Publix subs are better than any other chain subs...just not open at 3am

Have to agree with Publix subs...Their bread from the bakery blows the others away 

2 hours ago, drfranklin said:

QuikTrip>Sheetz (QT has more than 30 locations in the Upstate now - I was not impressed visiting Sheetz in Greensboro recently)

And Publix subs are better than any other chain subs...just not open at 3am

+1!

publix fried chicken is right up there with KFC and Bojangles, if not better!

• jburns locked this topic

Archived