joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2016 Discussions/Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know how they come up with these maps?

Looks like a combination of rainfall and soil moisture.

The U.S. Drought Monitor is a weekly map of drought conditions across the nation that is jointly produced by a rotating group of eleven climatologists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the National Drought Mitigation Center (NDMC) at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. The map is derived from analysis of climatic, hydrologic, and soil conditions as well as reported drought impacts information from a collaborative group of more than 350 experts from throughout the country who provide state- and regional-level expertise.

In application, the U.S. Drought Monitor is the most widely recognized gauge of drought in the country and is used by a broad audience including federal and state government personnel, the media, and the general public. On the federal level, the USDA Farm Service Agency uses the USDM to determine eligibility, as part of the Livestock Forage Disaster Program, to allocate drought disaster relief estimated at a total of $4 billion between 2011 and 2014.

Looks like a combination of rainfall and soil moisture.

The U.S. Drought Monitor is a weekly map of drought conditions across the nation that is jointly produced by a rotating group of eleven climatologists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the National Drought Mitigation Center (NDMC) at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. The map is derived from analysis of climatic, hydrologic, and soil conditions as well as reported drought impacts information from a collaborative group of more than 350 experts from throughout the country who provide state- and regional-level expertise.

In application, the U.S. Drought Monitor is the most widely recognized gauge of drought in the country and is used by a broad audience including federal and state government personnel, the media, and the general public. On the federal level, the USDA Farm Service Agency uses the USDM to determine eligibility, as part of the Livestock Forage Disaster Program, to allocate drought disaster relief estimated at a total of $4 billion between 2011 and 2014.

Thanks for enabling me to be lazy early this Friday morning LOL. No really, much appreciated. I always find it interesting to compare these to the rainfall deficit maps.

Thanks for enabling me to be lazy early this Friday morning LOL. No really, much appreciated. I always find it interesting to compare these to the rainfall deficit maps.

No problem. You could really see the grass starting to turn brown over the last few weeks here.

The only bit of green grass I still have is in the shade most of the time or the part I starting watering this week.

It looks like that giant ridge that has been staying put over WNOAM has been deflecting much of the rain to our south.

Recent 10 Past June Departures

Year:   NYC

2015: -0.4

2014: +0.4

2013: +0.9

2012: +0.0

2011: +2.0

2010:  +3.8

2009: -4.0

2008: +2.6

2007: -0.1

2006: -0.5