• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Wx threat March 1-2 (best chance north)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will taint for sure but this is about as good as we will get this winter.

You could do best of anyone in BTV. These events tend to favor the CPV as the cold easily sneaks down the valley, locking in frozen precip.

RGEM shows that quite well with 22F at BTV while it's well in the 30s and raining in the mountains.

Very close to a warning event in BTV proper.

Euro looks pretty cold for N VT...BTV gets a lot of snow I think on that run...def some pellets I would think, but not as much as other guidance.

The 6-hour snap shots stay sub-freezing at BTV and MVL through the column, but definitely could sneak above at some layer in-between the 6-hr positions.

The low tracks in SVT, vs NVT on the GGEM and the GFS is inbetween.

That's real close to a 6-8" snowfall for northern VT. We pray the Euro is right. Even 4" with some sleet would be a good event this winter haha.

You could do best of anyone in BTV. These events tend to favor the CPV as the cold easily sneaks down the valley, locking in frozen precip.

RGEM shows that quite well with 22F at BTV while it's well in the 30s and raining in the mountains.

attachicon.gifimage.png

Very close to a warning event in BTV proper.

attachicon.gifimage.png

Actually you are correct. That is what did it during the ice event around Christmas 2 years ago or so. We stayed in the teens to low 20's and the top of Mansfield torched during that (obviously somewhat of a different scenario but the cold locked in here then for the duration.

Actually you are correct. That is what did it during the ice event around Christmas 2 years ago or so. We stayed in the teens to low 20's and the top of Mansfield torched during that (obviously somewhat of a different scenario but the cold locked in here then for the duration.

There are a lot of events like that. I remember a big one in March of like 2008 or 2009 where it rained in the mountains but we lost power in BTV proper from 0.75" ice and then IP to snow. It was like 19F with flags stiff pointing south on 20mph northerly flow in the valley, while aloft it was cranking from the southwest and warmed up the mountains and points east.

MSS in the St Lawrance Valley is prone to the same phenomena. Low level northerly flow will suck cold south very quickly as long as the SFC low stays south and east of BTV proper.

Quarry cancel?

After comparing the 12z GFS and the 12z ECM, they are both almost identical in track so it looks like the goal-posts are quite narrow now. 

GFS/ECM both have the low tracking through southern VT to central Maine.  GFS is 989mb over Mount Snow and ECM is 994mb over DDH at hour 48.  Both are within miles of each other so I'm willing to toss the GGEM solution which is a 990mb over BTV at the same time.

The GFS is slightly stronger at all levels, allowing for slightly more warming aloft ahead of the low, so while they have the same track, the strength differences allow the EURO to probably stay frozen (snow/sleet) up here, the GFS would argue for FZRN or RN for a time, going back to snow on the backside. 

Either way, I do like the potential for a nice flash freeze and period of moderate snowfall across most of central/northern VT.  It should at least help us end with a net gain and white ground, even if its only a 2-3" backside snowfall. 

Looks like anyone that stays all snow has a good shot at a 6+ snowfall, with 3-6" for areas that mix with IP/ZR, and then 1-3" for anyone that is relying solely on the backside snow for any accumulations.

Remember the surgical precision to avoid snow in the coastal events in the interior... now we have surgical precision to keep us out of the good snows again if this pans out. 

Pretty impressive the number of close misses we've had to decent events.

Epic second half of the season continues for southern Quebec.

Euro caved to the intimidating duo of the NAM/GGEM in an embarrassing defeat. I guess just ride whatever model gives the least snow up in NNE this winter.

Yep. Back to the quarry. Every event has found a way to fail here. Why should this be any different?

I don't understand what's going on very well... it seems like the models have shifted West and warmer, but at the same time, Gyx has increased the snow for our area from 1-3 to 2-4 and lowered the high from 39 to 36... Also, what's  driving that "blob" of higher snowfall around the Mt Washington Valley in the RGEM? Just curious (and weenie)

Archived