• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

I had one last Summer... I hit 90.  not common at all but doing research, the Summer's of 1983 and 1988, following strong 'nino's were pretty hot.

Here's some totals so far... looks like through tonight another 4-6" here.

attachicon.gif943824_1238462126183676_8307402956063623406_n.jpg

Those are impressive numbers. Orographic lift is working it's magic there. 

GFS and NAM throwing a little snow in the area on Friday night, Saturday.

acc10_1snowmw.png

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a moderate burst of snow this morning with a little rain in the beginning then it was cloudy for awhile, sun came out for a couple hours, now in the past hour light snow showers have been passing through. Cold day with a high of 39°.

Had massive flakes this morning with some localized places in the STL metro getting 3" in 60-90 mins.

I saved this radar animation as the lift was close to maxing out.

That area NW of STL produced 2-3" in some spots in 45-75 mins.

The thinner yellow bands brought 10 mins of white out conditions and some of the largest flakes ive ever seen.

It was strong enough to cause roads to turn white.

8OEOk5a.jpg

Had massive flakes this morning with some localized places in the STL metro getting 3" in 60-90 mins.

The thinner yellow bands brought 10 mins of white out conditions and some of the largest flakes ive ever seen.

8OEOk5a.jpg

That is awesome.

Was this forecast at all?

I have found some of the missing Toledo Express Airport climate data! A large number of the monthly snowfall values for Toledo Express Airport were missing from 1997-2004. I found a lot of this on the F6 climate forms that I had saved on my own CDROMS... 12-13 years ago!!!  Monthly and seasonal snowfall can be found on my updated table here:

http://www.fortcollins.salsite.com/Toledo_Snowfall_1984_2016a.png

That's cool the way the snow backed in from the NE.

---

High of 40° today with variably cloudy skies. 

Noticed there was an isolated strip of snow cover still left on the ground up by Mason City Iowa on visible this morning.  At first I thought maybe it was a smoke plume showing up, but quickly noticed that the winds were blowing perpendicular to the strip.  Went back and looked at yesterday's satellite images, and then reviewed the radar from Saturday.  Looks like they got absolutely hammered by a narrow band of very heavy snow up there over the course of an hour.  Not sure how much fell there, as I haven't looked at reports yet, but it had to be at least a few inches to still be on the ground this morning.

This morning's vis

2nc4abl.jpg

Yesterday's vis
acv98g.jpg

Yesterday's vis zoomed in to 250m.  Look how concentrated the main heavy snow swath is.  That had to be amazing.
bfj67s.jpg

Brief radar loop. 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=comprad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=30&interval=5&year=2016&month=3&day=19&hour=15&minute=10 

Noticed there was an isolated strip of snow cover still left on the ground up by Mason City Iowa on visible this morning.  At first I thought maybe it was a smoke plume showing up, but quickly noticed that the winds were blowing perpendicular to the strip.  Went back and looked at yesterday's satellite images, and then reviewed the radar from Saturday.  Looks like they got absolutely hammered by a narrow band of very heavy snow up there over the course of an hour.  Not sure how much fell there, as I haven't looked at reports yet, but it had to be at least a few inches to still be on the ground this morning.

This morning's vis

2nc4abl.jpg

Yesterday's vis
acv98g.jpg

Yesterday's vis zoomed in to 250m.  Look how concentrated the main heavy snow swath is.  That had to be amazing.
bfj67s.jpg

Brief radar loop. 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=comprad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=30&interval=5&year=2016&month=3&day=19&hour=15&minute=10 

Good eyes, very cool.

Epic pictures above, NWLinn! 

That is wild, I don't think I have ever seen such a hard division like that.

Me either.  I was driving on I-65 one time during lake effect snow and in the field east of me it was snowing pretty hard and hardly snowing at all in the field west of me.  It had just started though so I didn't get to see how much accumulated.

Archived