SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not on any mountains here, and I havent hit freezing yet. I do see your point though,I just don't know how much it helped today.

Your area is still at a good 800-900 feet ASL, which is significantly higher than the Chicago and Detroit metro areas. Central and Northern Oakland county are only 900 to 1,100 feet ASL as far as I know.

That's a big boy dryslot. I'm kinda glad this didn't end up being snow because this would be shaping up like a GHD I screw-job.

Yeah this is just one bad (lame) "storm" so far here, I had some minor rippage for 15-20 minutes at 2:50 pm - 3:10 pm but absolutely nothing after that (hourly forecast showed 1-3 cm every hour for this period). A hour ago it was 1 inch flakes that appeared wet and flying around in a sudden gust mode that was extremely short. They might have been rimmed because they made a soft noise when hitting windows. It was a bit unique overall, good mood flakes for Christmas morning.

I was in solid yellows, borderline oranges during that and it accumulated terribly, I'm at 3/4th of 1 inch.

Such a waste of a storm.

When you go just 25 miles NW and they're getting hit with 2" per hour rates and will likely see 12"+ accumulate while you're getting pouring ice cold rain pellets despite a storm track to Erie, PA, **** the pitiful wrap around crap and crusty **** it leaves behind on the grass as we head into Met Spring.

Such a waste of a storm.

When you go just 25 miles NW and they're getting hit with 2" per hour rates and will likely see 12"+ accumulate while you're getting pouring ice cold rain pellets despite a storm track to Erie, PA, **** the pitiful wrap around crap and crusty **** it leaves behind on the grass as we head into Met Spring.

It had potential, it's just the wrong environment this year.  Otherwise, this would deliver well if the doldrums of winter were here.

Such a waste of a storm.

Story of the winter. About every part of the sub has had a "right track, wrong (insert variable here)" storm this season. With that being said, central Illinois and Saint Louis are having a pretty good winter by their standards.

Such a waste of a storm.

The thermals are killing us. It's only 33 degrees and all rain for hours. Valpo has been 33-34 with heavy snow all day.

Story of the winter. About every part of the sub has had a "right track, wrong (insert variable here)" storm this season. With that being said, central Illinois and Saint Louis are having a pretty good winter by their standards.

Eh idk about all that, don't get me wrong, this storm takes the sting out of what has been a really bad and warm winter, but up until today our snowfall stood at 8.2" for the entire winter. This has been a great storm, just stinks I feel we have lost 1/2 of our snow to melting on contact. Some of the well traveled roads in Champaign are actually just fine, the rural roads are a completely different story.

Like I said, not being a Debbie downer this is still a good storm, and under heavier returns with those howling 40-50mph winds, are creating a scene we don't see very often around here.

If you get dryslotted later don't worry

REST OF EVENING WILL SEE DRY SLOT FILL IN AS EXPANDING AREA OF

PRECIPITATION TO OUR SOUTH ROTATES NORTH. DEFORMATION ZONE TO EXPAND

EAST ACROSS THE AREA AS LOW PULLS AWAY. COLDER AIR WILL EXPAND EAST

AND SHOULD CHANGE PCPN TYPE TO ALL SNOW BY MID EVENING IN FAR EAST.

RUC AND HRRR HAD A GOOD HANDLE ON PCPN TYPES TODAY AND USED THESE

ALONG WITH NAM12 BLENDED FOR TIMING OF CHANGEOVER IN POWT PROCESS

FOR FORECAST GRIDS. LIQUID SNOW RATIOS HAVE BEEN LOW AS EXPECTED

WITH AROUND 10 TO 1 AVERAGE. SHOULD SEE THESE IMPROVE OVERNIGHT WITH

SLIGHTLY COLDER AIR AND DGZ LOWERING. LAKE ENHANCED SNOW BAND STILL

EXECTED TO SWING OFF THE LAKE INTO NW AND NC INDIANA WITH STRONG

CYCLONIC FLOW. THIS SHOULD LEAD TO ADDITIONAL MODERATE TO HEAVY

BURST OF SNOW. OVERALL INHERITED ACCUMS LOOK GOOD WITH REPORTS

RECEIVED ALREADY...TOTAL ACCUMS AROUND A FOOT STILL POSSIBLE NW

INDIANA TO SW MICHIGAN BY THURSDAY AFTERNOON WHEN SNOW COMES TO AN

END.

Such a waste of a storm.

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. APX just slashed most of Presque Isle county's snow totals from 10 inches to 4 inches for tomorrow morning. Not even sure why they are keeping us in the WSW. Seems like WWA criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLP over S. Indiana / Ohio is normally a SMI storm, not NMI. Not your track up there..

Such a waste of a storm.

Exactly what we feared coming true for us east siders, this garbage winter can't end soon enough.

Those further east need to calm down, you will likely get a good thump when the southern dryslot fills in when the low starts moving in 2-3  hours.

The deformation will be weakening as it moves east, I know how these things play out and I am not confident of a big hit.

Gonna have to bite my tongue on complaining about having to shovel this cement...since at least I have something to shovel :P.

About 5" OTG. Finally lost the battle to sleet about an hour ago and have been pinging ever since...although it looks like its switching back once again.

Archived