Newest Member
    joxey
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to those who are enjoying it.

At 12 in the afternoon, the light wind driven snow wasn't sticking anywhere. And now I'm still happily surprised it still isn't sticking to the roads or sidewalks here in Oak Brook. I hope this tapers off indefinitely soon. It's just a nuisance.

I'm a go big or go home type of person, especially heading into March.

My call for 1-4" in Dupage is looking good. Couple more hours to go. Half inch here currently.

Coming down gangbusters here. Think LOT did a helluva job from 48 hours out given the gradient.

Hasn't come easy this winter...from the Nov storm, Dec 28, January 9, this one and maybe some others that I'm forgetting. Sucks to have that sharp gradient right over highly populated areas.

Dropped down to 29.5 as soon as the sunset. ZR threat looking much more signifcant now. Only spent 2 hours above freezing, and peaked at 32.7 so there's still about a 1/10th of an inch of ice on surfaces/trees.

I guess it's dependent on how much more QPF you see. There's at least a chance after these last spokes of showers we dry out until the column is supportive of basically just snow.

Hasn't come easy this winter...from the Nov storm, Dec 28, January 9, this one and maybe some others that I'm forgetting. Sucks to have that sharp gradient right over highly populated areas.

How much you have so far?  Grant Park up to 7.5".  A lot of county roads by there are closed.

Nothing like waiting for the fat lady to sing.  Started getting 2 inch clumps right around 4:20 :whistle: .  Started sticking much quicker than expected considering nearly 1.5 inches of liquid since the onset.  Have around an inch now vis down to about a mile.  Coming down nice and steady.  We'll see how long it lasts. 

Flint... we're getting a good dumping. 

I got up at around 10:30 and it was already white outside. Temp was 34°.

Around 1:00 or so, we went out to clean up the slop. There was 3" of "Slurpee" at that point. We pushed most of it with the curved shovels. It was "cardiac event" snow all the way, maybe 6:1 at best. By the time we were done, it had over 1/2" on it again. 

Around 3:30, I had to make a store run. The van was already covered with another 3" of slop. The roads were AWFUL. If I wasn't going just up the road a mile and back, I'd have aborted the mission. Right now, it's 32° and has been for a few hours. I've been hoping for it to drop a few degrees so the ratios improve. If it stays this dense, the snowblower will be useless. 

I should have bought some Run Chata while I was out!

I'm about to throw some chicken in the pressure cooker to make me some soup stock while I go out to shovel another round of slop. If anyone really misses having some snow to shovel, I'll gladly feed you to come help me clear our yard! I have a heart condition and I'm not really supposed to be doing this, but it's not going to shovel itself!

I'm guessing it's going to be throwing down pretty much all night and into tomorrow AM. Sound about right?

Edit to add: As far as I know, it was all snow from the start here.

Flint... we're getting a good dumping. 

I got up at around 10:30 and it was already white outside. Temp was 34°.

Around 1:00 or so, we went out to clean up the slop. There was 3" of "Slurpee" at that point. We pushed most of it with the curved shovels. It was "cardiac event" snow all the way, maybe 6:1 at best. By the time we were done, it had over 1/2" on it again. 

Around 3:30, I had to make a store run. The van was already covered with another 3" of slop. The roads were AWFUL. If I wasn't going just up the road a mile and back, I'd have aborted the mission. Right now, it's 32° and has been for a few hours. I've been hoping for it to drop a few degrees so the ratios improve. If it stays this dense, the snowblower will be useless. 

I should have bought some Run Chata while I was out!

I'm about to throw some chicken in the pressure cooker to make me some soup stock while I go out to shovel another round of slop. If anyone really misses having some snow to shovel, I'll gladly feed you to come help me clear our yard! I have a heart condition and I'm not really supposed to be doing this, but it's not going to shovel itself!

I'm guessing it's going to be throwing down pretty much all night and into tomorrow AM. Sound about right?

Edit to add: As far as I know, it was all snow from the start here.

Yep, next round of snow is pushing out up through Indiana right now.

Archived