• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late Feb/March Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Shame we don't have a 50/50. It would make this so much simpler. 

There is no HL blocking of significance. A 50-50 low works when there is a sustained block and a vortex gets "trapped" under it to the SE. A low hauling aSS through Labrador Sea region is pretty much useless. Talk about threading a needle lol.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats one problem. The second problem is the ridge over California collapses, if it stayed intact for another 18hrs there'd be a very different result with this setup. Not likely to happen though.

The ridge collapses? Look at h96 to h120 on the EPS. There is a ridge and it is plenty amplified. As far as the lack of a 50-50 low, that is not really a problem either. You would be more correct to say the lack of a block is a problem. This type of set up is more favorable for a progressive, faster moving system, yes. I am not expecting to see a bombing low slowly crawling up the coast.

It might give us some light northern stream love on this 18z run though but certainly no well defined system

It's moving back towards a storm idea down south. Gfs has been very inconsistent for a while now. Not just this storm. It won an award for the blizzard and then decided to get drunk and party afterwards.

I will be canceling mine in another week probably. Too much other stuff going on during Spring and Summer to for me to justify keeping it.

I kept wxbell for the spring/summer first year I subscribed but I really didn't get my money's worth. Long range is pretty boring during that stretch. Severe isn't a long range sport and i suck at it anyways. Tropical is well covered on the board too. Tidbits is good enough for ens stuff.

I kept wxbell for the spring/summer first year I subscribed but I really didn't get my money's worth. Long range is pretty boring during that stretch. Severe isn't a long range sport and i suck at it anyways. Tropical is well covered on the board too. Tidbits is good enough for ens stuff.

I really only have it for a better view on the Euro...and the snow maps are tasty

Yeah between TT and TwisterData I am good for the Summer.

Have had Wxbell for two winters now. Initially it was hard to find things because the layout is crappy. But once you get used to that then you are good to go with some nice product. Have noticed for the last month or so though, that sometimes current runs aren't being loaded in a timely manner, hell slow as hell actually. It's caught me a couple of times already.

Models do not predict weather they show possibilities and various scenarios. So many of the depressive carte blanche statements are factually incorrect -the model is not predicting pixy dust it is just showing one of many situations that could happen

In time they will abandon the microscopic numeric method as the atmosphere is more than numbers. It may be useful status quo to the entrenched system in place to portray the atmosphere as being able to be numerically governed but the atmosphere is more than that. Ever see a tropical system avoid land falling in Jamaica and skirting the coast instead to stay over water and stay alive. Yes, stay alive as in animate qualities

With all the visual data, water vapor, radar, satellite and all the incredible computers someone is able to download a myriad of occurrent precedents. Add to that the state of enso and some other dominant indexes and you would have an analog type product that would be far more specific, less fluctuation of 300 miles every 6 hours, course steady and ultimately more useful and accurate

It's going to take time to root out those that benefit from the current set up but ultimately the desire for something better will kick in and a system of greater merit will win out

Not sure I believe crap winters are on the horizon. A rocking Feb was predicted many months ago as almost a lock...somehow the key was found and the lock was unlocked. we'be had snow in bad patterns and been shafted in good patterns. Who knows

Not by everyone wrt February. Every nino has it's own personality. As for next winter, enso will have a lot to say, but who knows what may overcome enso and the other factors.

Not sure I believe crap winters are on the horizon. A rocking Feb was predicted many months ago as almost a lock...somehow the key was found and the lock was unlocked. we'be had snow in bad patterns and been shafted in good patterns. Who knows

my statement was just playing on the odds. We will eventually go through a 3 year dry spell and it will get ugly when that happens but it's normal. That's our climo. For next year the enso will play a huge part. Root for neutral. Neutral after a strong Nino can be good. Nina after strong Nino is usually a dumpster fire. Ninas is general have been pretty awful in the most recent cycle we have been in so when we do get out next run of colder enso I expect some sad times for snow lovers.

Unless we're on the verge of rewriting climo, we're getting some crap snow total winters. Maybe not next year but they are coming. SE ridge or AK vortex or whatever. Dead dogs are always on the horizon.

Next year has some potential with enso neutral or weak Nina. This nino is going to have a hangover effect for sure.

Would be nice to have a legit nao happen again. What a terrible cycle we seem to be in there. But not unprecedented by any stretch. The 90's were far worse.

Mitch, we should start the 16-17 thread on March 1st.

my statement was just playing on the odds. We will eventually go through a 3 year dry spell and it will get ugly when that happens but it's normal. That's our climo. For next year the enso will play a huge part. Root for neutral. Neutral after a strong Nino can be good. Nina after strong Nino is usually a dumpster fire. Ninas is general have been pretty awful in the most recent cycle we have been in so when we do get out next run of colder enso I expect some sad times for snow lovers.

Unless we're on the verge of rewriting climo, we're getting some crap snow total winters. Maybe not next year but they are coming. SE ridge or AK vortex or whatever. Dead dogs are always on the horizon.

Next year has some potential with enso neutral or weak Nina. This nino is going to have a hangover effect for sure.

Would be nice to have a legit nao happen again. What a terrible cycle we seem to be in there. But not unprecedented by any stretch. The 90's were far worse.

Fumny thing about this winter though, is it was fact a dog overall. With one seriously major exception in January when we lucked out at the right time with the only legitimate HECS of the year (so far at least). December was record heat from door to door. January had decent cold but beyond the blizzard there was nothing really in terms of events. February was meh, one solid cold period and a decent but minor snow/ice event but a few missed chances and will end up as a bit warmer than normal I believe. Early March? Not sure yet but think we may end up just missing on anything again. That all said, ironically I cannot really say the winter sucked, simply because of the incredible week we had in January. But pretty much everywhere else in the east had it bad which should really indicate how lucky we were. I guess if anything this winter proved that in this area it really can be one event that "makes" the winter, at least in terms of snow.

Hey Bob why not go even further into the future  

When the low point of the solar cycle comes around near the end of the current decade coinciding with the trend back to El Nino after several winters of Nina and neutral -   maybe a big time negative AO and negative NAO tandem as well,  expecting a deep winter to rival many of the most severe winters on the East Coast in recent memory.  

Note and disclaimer - exaggerations implied , but there is some science to it as far as blocking, solar connections with increased blocking and trends with enso. Not sure the state of the QBO at that time , but more excited about the solar connection.

i have seen enough winters in this region (37) to appreciate above normal winters no matter how they come. This was a good winter. we have plenty of stinkers, just not recently. I tend to believe the increase in high precipitation events due to global warming could continue to give us large (mecs and hecs) winter storms with more frequency. We will see what happens i guess but there is definitely more qpf to be had when it gets cold these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has never been a Nino after a very strong nino year. So it would be a first.

http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

Archived