joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/12-13 Snow Showers

snowfan

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem with hedging so much. Models indicated mid-evening on last night but for some reason everyone ran to rush hour. Lots of places canceled stuff. This town.

Spooked by the disaster a mere 1/2-1" caused 2 days before the blizzard, I imagine.  Heck, for this Tuesday's relative "non event" (here closer into town, at least), they had trucks lined up on the main roads the night before.  Seems to be a swing from one extreme to another in a lot of cases.

Problem with hedging so much. Models indicated mid-evening on last night but for some reason everyone ran to rush hour. Lots of places canceled stuff. This town.

Didn't help that nws issued their rush hour rule wwa and even cwg was pushing the earlier arrival. This morning hrrr was showing approx 9p arrival time. Crazy how weather scared this region is. Same people that freak out if the plows don't scrape their roads clean. Pampered, privileged, etc.

Didn't help that nws issued their rush hour rule wwa and even cwg was pushing the earlier arrival. This morning hrrr was showing approx 9p arrival time. Crazy how weather scared this region is. Same people that freak out if the plows don't scrape their roads clean. Pampered, privileged, etc.

Some element of truth to that, and like I said above there's a tendency to have the response swing from one extreme to another.  I don't think that's unique to this area per se, though it's not like there's the same level of road crews as you'd have in a snowier area.  And I have to say, despite some of the excuses from the fiasco the Wednesday before the blizzard, it was pretty bad (in my opinion, pretty inexcusable) that no apparent treatment of roads was done, even major ones.  I don't care where someone is from in terms of experience driving in tricky conditions, when a main road (or any other one) is rendered a sheet of ice with not a truck in sight, it's bad.  I may be biased, because I was stuck in that for over two hours of white-knuckle driving in 1st or 2nd gear...on Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenues.

Some element of truth to that, and like I said above there's a tendency to have the response swing from one extreme to another. I don't think that's unique to this area per se, though it's not like there's the same level of road crews as you'd have in a snowier area. And I have to say, despite some of the excuses from the fiasco the Wednesday before the blizzard, it was pretty bad (in my opinion, pretty inexcusable) that no apparent treatment of roads was done, even major ones. I don't care where someone is from in terms of experience driving in tricky conditions, when a main road (or any other one) is rendered a sheet of ice with not a truck in sight, it's bad. I may be biased, because I was stuck in that for over two hours of white-knuckle driving in 1st or 2nd gear...on Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenues.

And it seems like it happens every year. It's like the people in charge forget what snow/ice is and how to prep.

Regarding cancellations a delays--  We live in the number one in rankings for worst in commuting delays and lost productivity.  I drive 100 miles every day around the beltway even with perfect conditions it's bad. Add any inclement weather especially snow things deteriorate quickly! rain usually doubles the commute. When it takes 8-10 hours to get home that's just unacceptable for the driver, road crews, emergency responders etc. So siding with excessive caution is prudent in my eye.  

Last night's NAM had the timing almost perfect. I made a brief mention of commute in my radio spot this morning but focused on afterward. Same way I edited Camden's post today. Think it was fairly clear we weren't going to deal with much early issue. Models even caught the snizzle snow east earlier in day. For all the people that hate on the NAM pretty typical performance from it 24 hours out on these types of things.

Archived