joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/12-13 Snow Showers

snowfan

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canaan Valley got another 6 inches overnight, total since Tuesday is now over 26 inches and still snowing.

Yeah, the daily picture on the Whitegrass site is part of the reason we're heading up. I only get drifts like that on the roof of my house. And while up there, we also have to stop in to see Jon Jon, of course. Well, at least meet a couple of his beers.

Yeah, the daily picture on the Whitegrass site is part of the reason we're heading up. I only get drifts like that on the roof of my house. And while up there, we also have to stop in to see Jon Jon, of course. Well, at least meet a couple of his beers.

Whitegrass is amazing.  Have you been up there before?  I go to Whitegrass 2-3 times a season.  I'm hoping you have a car with some decent all season tires.  Temps up there are going to barely be above 0 today and when it's that cold the roads up there are snow covered until it warms up.  Also, if you get to Whitegrass and the lot is full and you don't feel like dealing with the huge amount of people, (it probably will be today because it's the busiest weekend of the year), Blackwater Falls State Park is another great option if you're into XC skiiing.  Blackwater Falls also has a quarter mile sled run with a conveyer belt to take you to the top and a bunch of great trails for snowshoeing as well.

Whitegrass is amazing.  Have you been up there before?  I go to Whitegrass 2-3 times a season.  I'm hoping you have a car with some decent all season tires.  Temps up there are going to barely be above 0 today and when it's that cold the roads up there are snow covered until it warms up.  Also, if you get to Whitegrass and the lot is full and you don't feel like dealing with the huge amount of people, (it probably will be today because it's the busiest weekend of the year), Blackwater Falls State Park is another great option if you're into XC skiiing.  Blackwater Falls also has a quarter mile sled run with a conveyer belt to take you to the top and a bunch of great trails for snowshoeing as well.

Thanks! Yes, we've been up there quite a bit, and agree that Whitegrass is a gem.  There are very few things I enjoy more than xc skiing up in the Dolly Sods area.  We will pack our skis in the bed of the truck but I'm not sure we'll stop in at WG for skiing.  Like you said, it'll be pretty busy and when there's that much snow, it's easy to find other areas.  I agree that Blackwater is beautiful too.  I've never seen the sled run, so that might have to be a stop.

Thanks for the info.

When you say sled run, do you actually mean sledding?  I've not heard about that before.  Sounds awesome, if so.  Have you been?

Thanks! Yes, we've been up there quite a bit, and agree that Whitegrass is a gem.  There are very few things I enjoy more than xc skiing up in the Dolly Sods area.  We will pack our skis in the bed of the truck but I'm not sure we'll stop in at WG for skiing.  Like you said, it'll be pretty busy and when there's that much snow, it's easy to find other areas.  I agree that Blackwater is beautiful too.  I've never seen the sled run, so that might have to be a stop.

Thanks for the info.

Since jonjon closed down his B&B, where do you think is the best place to stay overnight for skiing at Canaan Valley? I've never been there before, but I'd like to go in the future.... the scenery is amazing and they get so much snow.

Since jonjon closed down his B&B, where do you think is the best place to stay overnight for skiing at Canaan Valley? I've never been there before, but I'd like to go in the future.... the scenery is amazing and they get so much snow.

I prefer the cabins at blackwater falls state park but they book up pretty far in advance.

When you say sled run, do you actually mean sledding? I've not heard about that before. Sounds awesome, if so. Have you been?

Yeah, it's expensive ($25 bucks for two hours) so I've never actually sledded on it but it looks super fun. When I stay at blackwater falls park in the cabins I usually just ski up and down it before they open it for sledding. They groom it in the morning and between 2 hour sessions. I believe it's the longest conveyer belt lift system in the east or something like that. And I think you have to use their sleds, so don't worry about bringing your own if you go.

I didn't know Jon Jon shut down the B&B.  It was on my list of things to do when life slows down.  Too bad.

Yeah, it's a shame they closed the Meyer House because it was a really nice b and b, but with the success of the brewery, not to mention that I think they both still work their "career" jobs, it just got too much for them.  As far as where else to stay, we've done Blackwater Inn which is nice, and when we have a large group we do VRBO and get a "cabin" which is really reasonable.  I've never stayed in Thomas, but I see some b and b's there too. 

If you dropped Jon Jon a PM, he and his wife might have some good suggestions.

Archived