• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 15-17th Storm Threat

OHweather

HRRR initialization of low position looks good. It is 4mb too strong, however. The RAP is SE of OBS, but correct with strength.

Models overall doing a pretty good job. Unfortunately for us that means the chance of a big 1'+ surprise snowstorm is pretty remote. The good news is that I think 4" as floor is a lock.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually if there is a swath of snow from south to north there, it is wider and extends into the mountains more.

It is definitely more narrow than usual, but if you look at some classic app runners like December '04 or March '08, they were wider but really not by that much.   '04 was mostly western half of OH and a small sliver of eastern IN.   '08 was mostly thru the center of Ohio and rain in extreme eastern OH.   App riders always mean rain for the mountains unless there is cad on the eastern slopes before it has a chance to erode.

Just a note: both the RAP and HRRR have a cold bias wherever there is snow cover, and a severe cold bias whenever there is snow cover with clear skies. Obviously with precipitation falling, skies aren't clear but this event seems to be coming down to only a couple degrees. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some advisories upgraded to warnings overnight if the band sets up like the models indicate. Another interesting thing to note is on the ILN snowfall maps, the 'minimum potential' for some grid-points is 0 while the 'maximum potential' is almost a foot...talk about uncertainty!

Man, RAP keeps drifting east. Now I'm a bit concerned. You just can't fight climatology.

For a brief moment today I actually thought the hi-res models were on to something with the west trend. It's looking like a 1-2" event here now unless we can pull out a miracle weenie band along the edge of the precip shield. Good luck up there!

Mainly for the Ontario interests, here's my take ...

About 5-10 cm snow in Hamilton and western GTA, 10-15 cm eastern GTA, 15-25 cm Ajax to Oshawa, 25-40 cm potential in a narrow band about Darlington to Trenton and north-northeast from there to Pembroke-Arnprior. East of that max jackpot zone, a rapid transition to 10 cm snowfalls changing to heavy ice pellets, an interval of freezing rain, then back to ice pellets and snow. That could extend as far east as Kingston to Ottawa into Laurentians. East of that, 10-15 cm snow overnight changing to freezing rain and a heavy glaze likely in Montreal, eastern Ontario and southern Quebec generally. It may change to all rain for a brief interval late in the storm at least in southern Quebec but not long enough to melt the ice. There could be some tree and hydro line damage, worst will be around Hawkesbury and Cornwall (in far eastern ON), over to Laval and St-Jerome.

Any shifts east or west will of course drag these zones east or west. But that's my call anyway.

For a brief moment today I actually thought the hi-res models were on to something with the west trend. It's looking like a 1-2" event here now unless we can pull out a miracle weenie band along the edge of the precip shield. Good luck up there!

Yep, I fell for it too. Especially after the NAM made a decent adjustment to the west. Seemed like a legit trend but alas it was no more than a tease. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in the same range too.

What are the local forecasters saying? I would imagine that 401 between the 115 and Kingston will be hit hard overnight and Tuesday by this storm. There won't be a lot of wind, but heavy rates and that bit of freezing drizzle mixed in, glad I don't have to drive that any more.

Haven't heard much. Then again, haven't been paying much attention to them since they suck.

Archived