• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February 15-17th Storm Threat

OHweather

I find the models do a poor job of picking up snow deformation bands on the fringes of lows, which are often the places where deformation bands set up. I recall a winter or two ago where it looked like a very sharp snow accumulation gradient between downtown Toronto and the 401, with the 401 getting next to nothing... 401 ended up getting the most due to deformation band on the dringe.

Yes. For almost every major system around here it seems like models have a sharp gradient setting up from NW to SE. I can't remember the last time this actually verified.

Thinking the floor is 3-4" with this system.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if everything got sampled for the 12z model cycle or do we have to wait until 18z or tonight's 00z runs to nail down a solution? This is a tricky forecast.

The kicker clipper is currently along the BC/AB border, and that's the last piece of the puzzle AFAIA. So...I think we're good re: sampling. Of course, that's the middle of the Rocky Mountains...where I'm guessing RAOB coverage is a little sparser.

Yeah, Apps runners are rare breads. You think once we get one everything could just go perfectly. :lol:

attachicon.gif12zNAMSNO.jpg

12z NAM doesn't seem to think thermals will be a problem for OH. But CMH riding the razor's edge like we are.

that looks a lot like my call for central OH... extreme eastern subs of CMH to Zanesville

Yeah, Apps runners are rare breads. You think once we get one everything could just go perfectly. :lol:

12zNAMSNO.jpg

12z NAM doesn't seem to think thermals will be a problem for OH. But CMH riding the razor's edge like we are.

Where's the NW trend when you need it? A lot of big population centers are riding the line with this one which makes it extra interesting. Such a huge bust potential either way.

Where's the NW trend when you need it? A lot of big population centers are riding the line with this one which makes it extra interesting. Such a huge bust potential either way.

If we could get another shift of about 80-90 miles to the W, we'd make CMH, CLE and YYZ happy PLUS I think BUF would still get their dumping too. Everyone wins. :)

Almost all of the models are indicating a band of moderate-heavy snow just south/along the I-71 corridor yet ILN has still not pulled the trigger...looking like a major potential bust setup if the models are right.

Per ILN:

THERE IS UNCERTAINTY IN TIMING THIS TRANSITION AND
IF IT HAPPENS EARLIER THAN FORECAST THEN PARTS OF CENTRAL OHIO
COULD GET SUBSTANTIAL ACCUMULATIONS.

In the olden days, you could almost guarantee the nw deform band would end up further west....   I don't know if models have improved or what, but you can't count on it any longer.

GFS came a little west (I think). Winter Storm Warnings just 2 counties to my southeast! I'm with you Buck, wake me in May!!!!!!

Almost all of the models are indicating a band of moderate-heavy snow just south/along the I-71 corridor yet ILN has still not pulled the trigger...looking like a major potential bust setup if the models are right.

Per ILN:

THERE IS UNCERTAINTY IN TIMING THIS TRANSITION AND

IF IT HAPPENS EARLIER THAN FORECAST THEN PARTS OF CENTRAL OHIO

COULD GET SUBSTANTIAL ACCUMULATIONS.

Definitely potential for a big bust or major coup by ILN with this.  It is going to be pretty close, either way.  Probably will be a nowcast event. 

HRRRX at hour 24. Looks very good.

attachicon.gifhrrrx_ref_ne_25.png

drool worthy. Not willing to bite on something that far NW yet...but seems to be pretty good consensus emerging of around 0.3-0.4" QPF. I'm going to go with a prelim call of 2-5" for Toronto...no real gradient in the amounts. Like snowcaine said, there's always some banding along the northern/western periphery that screws that up.

Archived