EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February 15-17th Storm Threat

OHweather

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gut is that I don't score big. Most models still have me just warm enough for rain till the tail end, but it's only by a degree or two. So I'm still hoping but not optimistic

most recent trends on the short range look a lot like the euro, more southeast with best axis just east and south of CMH.   The Zanesville folks are reeling this one in,,,,as of this moment.

Model spread has definitely tightened since this morning. My updated call is 4-7" for the city of Toronto.

Peak rates from HRRRX

attachicon.gif1hsnw_t3sfc_f23.png

I may bump mine up too after the 18z suite comes in. I can't believe this trended in the right direction for us once.

Talked to a few people this morning. No one's expecting any snow tomorrow. :lol:

At this point, we need Mega Maid to go from blow to suck. 

:lol:

So I'm trying to remember a similar storm that was this close with this set up....(meaning not being pushed southeast by a strong HP in place to the north)....and I can't.     I mean we have a storm taking the perfect track and we are sweating a miss east with precip shield with no HP bearing down on it.   It really is amazing.

most recent trends on the short range look a lot like the euro, more southeast with best axis just east and south of CMH. The Zanesville folks are reeling this one in,,,,as of this moment.

At least there was a storm to track! First synoptic storm all winter for us in NE Ohio that posed a legitimate snow threat.

It's tough riding the line, but it sure feels better hoping for a NW trend than a SE adjustment.

:lol:

So I'm trying to remember a similar storm that was this close with this set up....(meaning not being pushed southeast by a strong HP in place to the north)....and I can't.     I mean we have a storm taking the perfect track and we are sweating a miss east with precip shield with no HP bearing down on it.   It really is amazing.

I really can't think of one either.  There are tons and tons and tons of examples of a storm moving further NW in this setup, even weak ones.

Not fully confident yet on the western camp, but I think 3-5" is a good call for Toronto.

Niagara falls in the 8-10" range.

K-W and Guelph get by with 2-3".

Agreed. It's a trend that needs to be monitored but too soon to jump on board completely.

In the same vein, the fact that the 12z EURO nudged SE really isn't that much of a concern. It's nowcasting time.

At least there was a storm to track! First synoptic storm all winter for us in NE Ohio that posed a legitimate snow threat.

It's tough riding the line, but it sure feels better hoping for a NW trend than a SE adjustment.

I agree.  I haven't been doing much short range model following this year because we are usually eliminated well before short range.   So what are the typical trends in the short range, if any?

I agree. I haven't been doing much short range model following this year because we are usually eliminated well before short range. So what are the typical trends in the short range, if any?

I'd say with a storm like this that is riding up west up the Apps with a negatively tilted trough at the last minute that models will adjust too far NW and have to edge back SE last minute. Sort of like the HRRR today. I don't think I cash in and in fact you may still see more snow than me but I'm skeptical of this trending NW until it stops snowing like some storms.

18z SPC analysis has a 1007mb low over NW LA. This is several mbs deeper than the 12z NAM/GFS prog. Location is good though.

When you're riding the line between rain and snow, a stronger storm can be good or bad.  The negative is it could come too far NW and flood warm air in.  The positive is that it could increase the chance for dynamic cooling with heavier rates in the right spot, and provided the track is good.

When you're riding the line between rain and snow, a stronger storm can be good or bad. The negative is it could come too far NW and flood warm air in. The positive is that it could increase the chance for dynamic cooling with heavier rates in the right spot, and provided the track is good.

I think if Columbus gets into the heavy band it's mainly snow. Just my $0.02

Archived