joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z EPS looks nice for the d10 storm potential. Looking at the mslp and the low locations, there is some spread as would be expected at long lead, but timing looks good and there is general agreement on low pressure tracking to our south under that sprawling high pressure to the north and emerging off the VA/NC coast.

Takes the primary into Ohio and develops a coastal. Miller B-ish. Verbatim the mid and low levels are warm. Long way to go. For now, EPS looks good. Hug it.

Eh, it's heavy wet snow and 32.  I wouldn't say it's "warm", but it's a million hours away..and we know how the GFS is about low/mid level cold form this far out.

Eh, it's heavy wet snow and 32.  I wouldn't say it's "warm", but it's a million hours away..and we know how the GFS is about low/mid level cold form this far out.

Yeah I meant warm in a relative sense...850s do go above 0c and surface is low to mid 30s for I-95 east. These details are meaningless obviously at this range, and on second look the secondary is in a decent place. With the right timing, more like EPS, the (primary)low wont get that far north. I want a miller A..

Way to early to be analyzing the rain snow line on op runs. The ensembles still look great. Both the gefs and eps are about as bullish as you can be at this range. Very similar to what they were showing at this range before jan 22. Actually this might be catching on a day or two sooner if anything. Remember a few op runs like the 18z gfs and that jma run saw it 10 days out but then lost it a run or two. Day 8 in is when it locked in on the gfs and day 7 on the euro.

Way to early to be analyzing the rain snow line on op runs. The ensembles still look great. Both the gefs and eps are about as bullish as you can be at this range. Very similar to what they were showing at this range before jan 22. Actually this might be catching on a day or two sooner if anything. Remember a few op runs like the 18z gfs and that jma run saw it 10 days out but then lost it a run or two. Day 8 in is when it locked in on the gfs and day 7 on the euro.

Yes, but very different set up here. That was a Miller hybrid storm, this seems more like a classic B, which seems trickier to lock in, no?

Yes, but very different set up here. That was a Miller hybrid storm, this seems more like a classic B, which seems trickier to lock in, no?

Nothing is locked in at this point. My OP really had nothing to do with r/s line, but was an observation that the GFS seems to be leaning more towards a low tracking up into Ohio, with coastal redevelopment. The 0z EPS, specifically the mslp and member low locations, generally favor a more southerly track. Long, long way to go obviously, but the general favorable look is there.

The high iand 50/50 low are long gone before any precip moves in.

Timing is critical because there really isnt any meaningful blocking over Greenland. We need that NF low to act s a quasi 50-50, while the big surface high over southern Canada is in an ideal spot. If the approaching sw is late, the NF low has swung up over Greenland and the HP to our north is shifting east, which opens the door for the low to come further north(to our west). 

Archived