Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The smell of the rain and all the birds out makes it feel like a late April day

The spring birds were all out singing this morning when I woke up at 6:30. It was honestly eerie. If you didn't know it was February and took a listen by the window, you would swear it was April. I can't ever remember witnessing that this early. I don't even recall 2012 being like this

Seems like the birds been out all winter  so far…i have had several morning with them chirping away. I also noticed buds on some of the trees with about 4-6 of snow left on the ground 

Two redtail hawks - Central Park hawks, no less - were doing courtship rituals over the Upper East Side yesterday.  It's VERY early for that -  by 4-6 weeks.

Still, we should probably till after Wednesday's storm passes before we stick a fork in this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sticking a fork? We don't even know what's going to happen to that storm. GGEM is OTS. Navgem doesn't have anything. A lot of solutions still on the table.

If we want to cash in on a snowstorm next Monday look @ the 6z GFS.

It was actually a few miles SE from being a 1-2 foot type storm. 

We have the 50/50 low, the Great Lakes low, and the low off the coast. The 6z run is probably BS because it is hard to get 3 lows that close to each other. I imagine the stronger the GL low the weaker the coastal will be as it will 'kick' & shear it. 

Still think if we get a storm early next week its rain with that set-up. Perhaps we get a shot at a storm as the cold retreats presidents weekend. The eps continues to bring the flow more zonal and mild after the 14th, not a great look for all these backloaded winter calls.

Still think if we get a storm early next week its rain with that set-up. Perhaps we get a shot at a storm as the cold retreats presidents weekend. The eps continues to bring the flow more zonal and mild after the 14th, not a great look for all these backloaded winter calls.

The EPS wasnt far off the from GFS for the 8th. The low is in a good spot off the coast. Temps might be a problem but still ways out.

A meteorologist in SNE. Maybe this can help us out for the storm next week?

Well the teleconnections look the best they have in a while, and she's inside 7 days. Finally something very interesting to track...

Raging +PNA, -EPO, -AO

Only fly in the ointment is the NAO, which looks slightly positive. But the -AO makes for a decent compromise.

The warm start with MJO 4-5 push should keep February mild enough for NYC to see only

the 4th 40 degree winter or higher on record. This year will have the distinction of being

the snowiest 40 degree winter by a wide margin. Just a few more inches for NYC and

there could be the first 40-30" winter which was not though possible. So the 2000's

continue to redefine what is climatologically possible here with all the extremes.

42.6...27.2"...15-16 so far

41.5...2.5".....01-02

40.5...7.4".....11-12

40.1...5.3".....31-32

Amazing.  It's basically 01-02 and 11-12 (Temp wise) but with one big snowstorm....

I agree. Next week is for New England away from the immediate coast and far interior elevated IMO

Archived