SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 2016 Medium/Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS would be a way to really screw up the LR. Like Bob mentioned, we need something to help lock in a cold HP...

We've had that -EPO +NAO pattern a lot the past few years. It's good for some overrunning events and clippers that probably won't show up at long range.  Not a good pattern if you're looking for a repeat of last week.

Update your cache, I don't see any event on the LR GFS. There is one for NE @ 372 hours.

Booo...stupid refresh took all my digital snow away. Lol

Weeklies are wall to wall +pna/-epo with a touch of -ao. -Nao nasomuch. Once we get past our mini torch we look good through the end of the month if the idea is right. Great run.

18z GFS would be a way to really screw up the LR. Like Bob mentioned, we need something to help lock in a cold HP...

Its downright comical that 24 hours ago everyone was woofing about the post Feb 7 pattern change and potential. "That pattern is SCREAMING huge hit in the East with a parade of cold storms to follow". Fast forward ahead 24 hours and people are cancelling winter pointing to a one-and-done type of season. You cant script this stuff....tho it has become kind of predictable over the years. Hang in there peeps, winter has at least one more good storm left imo....its just going to take patience. -ao and/or -nao flip will do the trick. We're nearing the -ao, look for a potential threat when it relaxes after the cpf period. Mid-late Feb.

Its downright comical that 24 hours ago everyone was woofing about the post Feb 7 pattern change and potential. "That pattern is SCREAMING huge hit in the East with a parade of cold storms to follow". Fast forward ahead 24 hours and people are cancelling winter pointing to a one-and-done type of season. You cant script this stuff....tho it has become kind of predictable over the years. Hang in there peeps, winter has at least one more good storm left imo....its just going to take patience. -ao and/or -nao flip will do the trick. We're nearing the -ao, look for a potential threat when it relaxes after the cpf period. Mid-late Feb.

People got a little too optimistic after last weeks blizzard and forgot you can't predict a snowstorm by extrapolating the EURO day 10+. Sort of coming back to reality today.

We've had that -EPO +NAO pattern a lot the past few years. It's good for some overrunning events and clippers that probably won't show up at long range. Not a good pattern if you're looking for a repeat of last week.

Weeklies (week 3 in particular) definitely remind me of Jan 14 with the general conus long wave pattern. Week 4 does too but the smoothing makes it look less amplified. If the weeklies (and current late period ens runs) have the general idea right then we will likely get some ok snows in Feb.

Weeklies (week 3 in particular) definitely remind me of Jan 14 with the general conus long wave pattern. Week 4 does too but the smoothing makes it look less amplified. If the weeklies (and current late period ens runs) have the general idea right then we will likely get some ok snows in Feb.

All we can ask for is the pattern to look good in the LR. THink about it guys. Imagine if we were sitting here and seeing nothing but a terrible pattern in the LR as we enter February. The next 7 days will be boring, but think of it as the calm before the storm. (hopefully). 

All we can ask for is the pattern to look good in the LR. THink about it guys. Imagine if we were sitting here and seeing nothing but a terrible pattern in the LR as we enter February. The next 7 days will be boring, but think of it as the calm before the storm. (hopefully).

Man, for the first time in 3 years, I ain't feeling it. Pure gut, but I just don't. I hope something starts to show up on the models soon because otherwise, I'll be descending into a deep snow depression. Lol

Man, for the first time in 3 years, I ain't feeling it. Pure gut, but I just don't. I hope something starts to show up on the models soon because otherwise, I'll be descending into a deep snow depression. Lol

Aww mitch. Here ya go. Just click dc-snowfall-d16 and hug #10

http://models.weatherbell.com/gefs/gefs_precipitation.php

Aww mitch. Here ya go. Just click dc-snowfall-d16 and hug #10

http://models.weatherbell.com/gefs/gefs_precipitation.php

Lol. I went through all of them already and was completely underwhelmed. I guess I just don't see a pattern that strikes me as something other than warm and wet/cold and dry. D@mn NAO has been mia for years. If we don't get cooperation from that, we'll need another -4+ AO, and I don't see us getting there again yet on the models. I should probably just stop because if we get slammed, I'll be trolled incessantly with this post. Lol

Lol. I went through all of them already and was completely underwhelmed. I guess I just don't see a pattern that strikes me as something other than warm and wet/cold and dry. D@mn NAO has been mia for years. If we don't get cooperation from that, we'll need another -4+ AO, and I don't see us getting there again yet on the models. I should probably just stop because if we get slammed, I'll be trolled incessantly with this post. Lol

We didn't need it the past two years. They weren't a Nino I know, but who's to say?

Feb 10-13 roughly.....EPS and GEFS hinting. Might not be a blizzard repeat but "something starts to show up on the models". No snow depression for you!

The GFS run ending reminds me a bit of Feb 93, so that's not the worst possible outcome I suppose.

Think there will be two more significant snowfall events this winter, one in Feb and one in March, and if fortunate, two in Feb and one in March.

Will predict that DCA ends up at 30" and IAD at 50" for the season, maybe a bit more. The Pacific looks a bit more Modoki now and some fairly significant changes are showing up for February over the north Atlantic region into the subarctic. Whether it's a totally positive change or just a new set of opportunities, I don't see the current signs as being negative.

00Z Euro OP at day 10 shows promise though maybe more so for 40 north. Pops a low in Texas with a 1030 high sliding to the north of it which may be a little too far east for our tastes. Has a low sliding off of New England which looks as if it is setting up for a 50/50. Confluence is situated through the Mid Atlantic. The big question would be does the Bermuda high flex its muscles which is initially getting suppressed.

Edit:

00Z Euro ensembles are suggesting a possible coastal low in the day 12 range. Snowfall means @ day 10 are a trace for the DC/Balt corridor and then bump up to 2" by day 16. Majority still favor nothing to a trace but do have roughly 20 that show 2 inches or better with a handful of decent hits.

The one flaw still showing up on all the guidance going forward over the next 2 weeks is persistently positive height anomalies to our NE, just off the maritimes. We really would like to see a vortex there. Pacific looks great, AO looks to be negative, NAO probably neutral for the most part. We can get some decent cold air in here with that look, but any amplifying sw would probably take a bad track, or result in a miller B type deal. Hopefully we can get a weaker low or 2, maybe a clipper, to track under us.

Archived