joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm being a weenie but I'm in Williamsburg, VA and in the last hour we've gone from rain back over to heavy sleet with some random flakes mixing in. The temperature at West Point has also dropped a degree in the last hour back down to 32 with a 31 dewpoint and a NW wind.

Has the rain snow line stopped advancing towards RIC? No doubt colder air is mixing into the NW Virginia Peninsula while Wakefield had the temps progged to be in the mid-upper 30s by midnight. 

Just took a mile long jebwalk in Rockville. Whiteout the whole time.  Absolutely incredible.  Everyone needs to get off the computer and go outside when deathband 2 comes through.

I'll be up, don't worry. Till 5-6am minimum. Jebwalking my life away. 

Walked into Clarendon to check out the deathband. What a trip. Can't tell where the sidewalks end and where the street begins on unplowed roads. Up to my mid-calf. Mix of tiny flakes with solid dendrites, but just coming down relentlessly. Visibility crazy low. Wow.

Also ran into someone (a tourist, it seemed) who was stranded and needed walking directions to Georgetown. I helped point him in the right direction. Hope he's doing alright!

Legit feel bad for Richmond right now. You'll get your storm, don't worry. This is DCA's though. Yours will be magnificent though, 2019, book it. 

It's more than bad luck at this point. When you have a textbook 992 low sitting over Hatteras and an epic warm nose with only 6-7" of snow and crud to show for it there is something very wrong. I can't help but think that AGW is playing a role and SST's seemed to be a factor here.

Don't want to rain on this parade though. Lived in the DC metro for many years and I hope you guys enjoy this one. I at least got my 7" and Jebwalk in today.

Archived