• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
Midlo Snow Maker

January 22/23 2016 images archive thread

That h5 loop is a 10 second clinic of exactly what to look for if you like big snowstorms. I love the trajectory overhead and off the coast. So sweet for our latitude

That h5 loop is a 10 second clinic of exactly what to look for if you like big snowstorms. I love the trajectory overhead and off the coast. So sweet for our latitude

The broadness of that upper low and the fact that it went under us seems like it allowed us to tap into the gulf and Atlantic and stay on the cold side throughout which is not easy to do here. This was a hecs thru and thru. Looking at the energy as it entered the west coast it didn't look all the special but it had all the right ingredients feeding it I guess.

I'm sort of in awe of how many giant storms I've seen here. There were times when 20-30 years would pass between. There's not much like a crippled city in a snowstorm. It actually doesn't rank all that far behind a good Texas tornado (still fairly behind a KS one).

I'm sort of in awe of how many giant storms I've seen here. There were times when 20-30 years would pass between. There's not much like a crippled city in a snowstorm. It actually doesn't rank all that far behind a good Texas tornado (still fairly behind a KS one).

Me too. We've only had 2 bad out of the last 6. 10-11 wasn't above normal snow wise but it wasn't in the bad winter class either. We've had 4 giant and 2 really big storms in the last 6 years. Plus we're on a 3 year heater and froze the bay and rivers the previous 2 years. We probably have better than normal odds at adding another big or giant storm this year.

Best of all...since this nino is so strong so late in the year we could have a sweet weak Nina next year to keep the run going...lol

Thank you all for putting all those loops together, it's really awesome watching the storm come together on the models, the radar, and multiple satellite loops. I don't think it's a stretch to say that we just experienced a repeat of the Blizzard of 96, 20 years later, and this storm will forever change our perception of super Ninos.

Probably my all time favorite storm, or a close 2nd.

I made this radar loop so that we would be able to see the storm's features from start to finish. It starts January 22, 0018z, which is when it was transitioning to being a snowstorm for some areas of the South.

http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/Blizzard_of_2016_radar_loop.html

Sorry about the jumpiness. I did the best I could. I was intending to use UCAR/RAP national radar images, but that web site broke down for a few hours during the storm. Nice satellite/radar/500mb loops!

This one just because its so ridiculous we may never see it again. 36-48! You gotta be ****tin me.

post-1681-0-84694900-1453771531_thumb.jp

And this one because its so cool. Thunder snow captured by the Space Station.

post-1681-0-88191200-1453771618_thumb.jp

http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/tmp/Jan2016/northeast_22-23Jan16_shd.gif

Radar loop of the entire storm. I remember thinking at midnight after 12 hours of snow and 6-8" on the ground that it would keep snowing for another 24 hours. Sick.

I doubt anyone will have sympathy for me, but check out how the first dryslot gets into Philly, and look at how the deformation band sets up just NW of the city while I'm high and dry. I still got like 18-20" or so, but could of had 30" if the storm was 25 miles S literally. 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:32 PM, Bob Chill said:

Me too. We've only had 2 bad out of the last 6. 10-11 wasn't above normal snow wise but it wasn't in the bad winter class either. We've had 4 giant and 2 really big storms in the last 6 years. Plus we're on a 3 year heater and froze the bay and rivers the previous 2 years. We probably have better than normal odds at adding another big or giant storm this year.

Best of all...since this nino is so strong so late in the year we could have a sweet weak Nina next year to keep the run going...lol

Heh, we are getting our payback, though for some, last year was FINE.