joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowhere near as heavy as 7 am this morning here is Westbury. Definitely see a breakup in precip and echoes. I think 24 is pushing it for Suffolk County though. About 7-8" at my house in Kings Park as of 9:30 am. Looking at the radar at work (I'm an ATSS with the FAA) definite drop in precip points East of JFK and LGA.

The dry spots are filling in southeast of the area. I think there's probably another 10" or so on top of what's already there-this should be continuing for another 12 hours or so. So that should still result in widespread 18"+ amounts. 

Not sure if anyone trusts the hrrr but it cut back a ton in northern sections

You can kind of see on radar that the heavy snow is reaching its limit about 25 miles north of the CT coast over to about I-84 in NY. It might make a move towards SE MA later today but you can probably see where the heartbreak/rip-off zone will be. 

Holy crap - 35" is the most ever recorded in NJ at Whitehouse Station during the Jan-96 blizzard.  Someone could threaten that.  Presumably Upton will upgrade too - otherwise that's a huge discontinuity.  

Upton updated to coordinate with Mt. Holly - discontinuities eliminated.  24-30" for NYC could be an all-timer vs. the 26.9" record...

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Interesting pattern - I've seen this before. A band wants to set up on the Ramapos / Highlands because of the orographic lift and then that forces a second, slightly weaker band over NYCish.

Yeah thats usually when places like Harriman come out of nowhere with huge totals

Great shot!

Miss living in Forest Hills the gardens were gorgeous in snow.... Several footers but never one like this while I lived there:

Thanks Dan. Its a protected compound where I live, Country in the city if you will, to be more accurate its Kew Gardens Hills!. Lots of magnificent shots but a Jeb walk is a very difficult thing physically when dealing with 13 inches and 2 foot drifts

This is additional LE expected.

RAP_QPFtotal_ne_f18.png?v=1453564662

Geez another 15" here.....not sure if I'll get quite that much unless I get dumped on by a heavy band.....steady snow here since the start but no extreme snowfall rates yet. 12" here and hoping to hit 20"!! Will be interesting to see what develops early this afternoon

Archived