joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this on twitter but; FWIW, I think the QPF Bomb over N VA and the low hanging back are somewhat related. GFS pulling a bit of ol' NAM with the convective params with the increased resolution. Still a massive hit but the 36+' are likely overcooked with the backend. 20-30" still totally doable.

True. The edges are always the most stressful. Been there plenty. But ground zero has been steadfast on the gfs within a fairly tight range. Quite uncommon. Either a huge win for consistency or wrong idea all along

I think the SLP is 100 miles south compared to being in KY.. that's a big shift... end result, 993 just east of ORF...

But not jumpy though. A jumpy euro and ticking gfs is a role reversal.

yeah...We'll know in 90 minutes, but I think at 12z the Euro over-corrected for something and I'm not sure what, but I think it might be an off run.  0z Euro last night is more sensible given the other guidance.  Hopefully Euro shows that solution again and we can forget about 12z (even though it was very good for me personally).  

yeah...We'll know in 90 minutes, but I think at 12z the Euro over-corrected for something and I'm not sure what, but I think it might be an off run.  0z Euro last night is more sensible given the other guidance.  Hopefully Euro shows that solution again and we can forget about 12z (even though it was very good for me personally).  

From what I've seen, and mostly read in here...it seems the primary on the GFS is indeed farther south (similar to the 12Z Euro?).  But the big difference appears to be what happens with the coastal after it develops and takes over.  Not as tucked in to the coast on the 12Z Euro compared to the GFS (and CMC), and doesn't blow up as much?  I haven't been able to see the Euro maps themselves, going by what I recall from discussion earlier.

If I am reading the wind maps on IWM correctly. It looks like DC would have true blizzard conditions for 6-9 hours on Saturday. Over 30 MPH sustained and very heavy snow.

We have been doing these threads a long time together. Over 10 years for a lot of us. Have any of you ever seen a GFS run like tonights? Because I dont ever remember anything like this. Not for PD2 or anything since then.

yeah...We'll know in 90 minutes, but I think at 12z the Euro over-corrected for something and I'm not sure what, but I think it might be an off run. 0z Euro last night is more sensible given the other guidance. Hopefully Euro shows that solution again and we can forget about 12z (even though it was very good for me personally).

Psu had a great rebuttal to my take on the run ealier but even then then the progression still looked too complicated and weird for lack of a better term. We're approaching narrow goal post range now. Gfs set an unlikely bar. My wag is similar to what you are thinking. Euro will probably blast the usual suspects to the west and make both of us feel pretty comfortable.

we will pay for this event. This might be our  last snowstorm till 2021

Any worry about another W shift next run or in general? Or is that as far as it can get (west wise). DC is very close on temps in GFS (better with CMC tho) - know mixing is a possibility but another 25 miles east and DC gets absolutely slammed and another 25 miles west and the numbers become dicey. Think the early snow will help some in temps but close... hopefully GFS is just a little warm this run. 

Thought other than the timing (slower), run was almost identical to 18z, until it shifted west slightly late in the run.

Getting giddy.  :sled:

Ugh, I've been in meetings all day and missed the fun.  I should probably post these in the banter thread, but we've been running a hires version of WRF at UMD with a DC area inner nest using explicit convection.  Initial and boundary conditions are from the GFS.  I generally don't endorse snow maps....but here are snow totals using a generic 10:1 ratio for simplicity for our 12z and 18z simulations today.  These are just for fun, as we haven't even played around with the configuration very much nor have we done any validation.

snow_F102.pngsnow_F102.png

Ugh, I've been in meetings all day and missed the fun.  I should probably post these in the banter thread, but we've been running a hires version of WRF at UMD with a DC area inner nest using explicit convection.  Initial and boundary conditions are from the GFS.  I generally don't endorse snow maps....but here are snow totals using a generic 10:1 ratio for simplicity for our 12z and 18z simulations today.  These are just for fun, as we haven't even played around with the configuration very much nor have we done any validation.

snow_F102.pngsnow_F102.png

Thanks for posting, and wow at the 60" in the Shenandoah and Cannon Valley.

Thanks for posting!  Obviously I enjoy them more since they have pretty colors over my house but pretty cool that you come and share these experimental products with us.

Archived