SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, I've been in meetings all day and missed the fun.  I should probably post these in the banter thread, but we've been running a hires version of WRF at UMD with a DC area inner nest using explicit convection.  Initial and boundary conditions are from the GFS.  I generally don't endorse snow maps....but here are snow totals using a generic 10:1 ratio for simplicity for our 12z and 18z simulations today.  These are just for fun, as we haven't even played around with the configuration very much nor have we done any validation.

Even overcooked GFS this seems to have serious potential to be among the legends. Snowmageddon+. I worry we've set ourselves up for disappointment seeing so many gigantic runs but.... yeah.

Strangely at ease.

Ugh, I've been in meetings all day and missed the fun.  I should probably post these in the banter thread, but we've been running a hires version of WRF at UMD with a DC area inner nest using explicit convection.  Initial and boundary conditions are from the GFS.  I generally don't endorse snow maps....but here are snow totals using a generic 10:1 ratio for simplicity for our 12z and 18z simulations today.  These are just for fun, as we haven't even played around with the configuration very much nor have we done any validation.

snow_F102.pngsnow_F102.png

I think the bottom depiction makes a lot of sense....

Psu had a great rebuttal to my take on the run ealier but even then then the progression still looked too complicated and weird for lack of a better term. We're approaching narrow goal post range now. Gfs set an unlikely bar. My wag is similar to what you are thinking. Euro will probably blast the usual suspects to the west and make both of us feel pretty comfortable.

Psu had a great rebuttal to my take on the run ealier but even then then the progression still looked too complicated and weird for lack of a better term. We're approaching narrow goal post range now. Gfs set an unlikely bar. My wag is similar to what you are thinking. Euro will probably blast the usual suspects to the west and make both of us feel pretty comfortable.

I was wrong about one thing, the GFS/GGEM tonight both cut off south, and start south in the early stages like the euro, but then they have a cleaner transfer and tuck the low in closer.  So you may have been right about the euro just having a funky solution with the SLP track and precip because the other guidance moved towards it in some ways early on but still trended north later.

Really? Thats your post "It's ugly for you guys"....Umm How exactly. Some description would be nice.

Several people in this thread asked if it was out. Sorry for helping out? The surface low is like 500 miles off the coast of NC and heading out to sea. What more description do you need?

That hard to read map is the only thing available until the Ukmet loads on to meteocenter, so take it for what it's worth.

Another monster hit to DC area by 18z GFS Para... big numbers and temps are fine (snow for entire event). Starts snowing around hr 69 and still snowing, and decent rates, at hr 102... probably another 6/9 hours to go.

The QPF totals will probably be pretty crazy.  2.5-3"+ through Saturday 7pm and the deform band is still going.  

eta:  ninja'd!

Is the ukmet out? Normally maps have been posted and discussed by this time. If it has been talked about sorry.

It is not out yet on Meteocentre for some reason, but it is out on Meteociel.fr.  It shows the entire Northern Hemisphere and is hard to read, but I rotated it to make it easier and zoomed in.  This is the hr 96 panel.  Looks like a 995ish mb LP center ENE of Hatteras.

Link: http://meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?carte=1021&ech=72&nh=1&archive=0

32znfcz.gif

It is not out yet on Meteocentre for some reason, but it is out on Meteociel.fr.  It shows the entire Northern Hemisphere and is hard to read, but I rotated it to make it easier and zoomed in.  This is the hr 96 panel.  Looks like a 995ish mb LP center ENE of Hatteras.

Link: http://meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?carte=1021&ech=72&nh=1&archive=0

32znfcz.gif

It looks great. Thanks!

I haven't seen anything like this. Even for the Feb '13 blizzard in NE I can't recall snow outputs being so anomalously high relative to climo. Runs that give DCA 200% of climo? Lol

What can you say though when every piece of guidance is historic? My bar is 18". That's historic in DC.

The numbers we're seeing are easily knocking on the top end of anything recorded outside the mtns at least when it comes to area covered if not specific maximums (though close on either). Not to mention it's January and not late Feb or early Mar when moisture bombs might be more expected. I am hesitant to buy op GFS entirely because there's certainly some weirdness there but the levels above were all truly glorious on this run as well. I'm still a little bothered by the Euro till the next one at least, though I may go to bed instead of wait.

I was wrong about one thing, the GFS/GGEM tonight both cut off south, and start south in the early stages like the euro, but then they have a cleaner transfer and tuck the low in closer. So you may have been right about the euro just having a funky solution with the SLP track and precip because the other guidance moved towards it in some ways early on but still trended north later.

That's part of what left me scratching my head. Yes, the euro was south with h5 and slp but the surface panels didn't compute in my brain. I always look at h5 before surface. I was pretty stoked when I saw the vort panels but when I toggled the surface panels I was like wut? But the euro is coveted by almost all the pros and weenies alike nowadays. I try my best not to let a single model make up my mind but it's not easy considering history.

The numbers we're seeing are easily knocking on the top end of anything recorded outside the mtns at least when it comes to area covered if not specific maximums (though close on either). Not to mention it's January and not late Feb or early Mar when moisture bombs might be more expected. I am hesitant to buy op GFS entirely because there's certainly some weirdness there but the levels above were all truly glorious on this run as well. I'm still a little bothered by the Euro till the next one at least, though I may go to bed instead of wait.

Does the Feb/March moisture preference not get mitigated in this case by the current ocean temps?

Archived