SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z GFS keeps the precip offshore for the most part next week - but the run trys to develop a second system - precip fields showing green in NJ  with the 540 line down in the Carolinas looks weird - I don't think the GFS knows what to do with all the energy running around - lets see what the GEFS says in a while

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_28.png

Hopefully DSNY has a better strategy now lol

I live in the area that everyone whined over, it wasn't bad. Any other sanitation department in the country would have done far worse IMO. Unlike the majority of the country cars are lined up on both sides of the street and 30" of snow isn't exactly your usual event. Yeah a group of people may complain because their block is in the armpit of the city and overall irrelevant but given the impact of this blizzard I think it was cleaned up exceptionally well.

I live in the area that everyone whined over, it wasn't bad. Any other sanitation department in the country would have done far worse IMO. Unlike the majority of the country cars are lined up on both sides of the street and 30" of snow isn't exactly your usual event. Yeah a group of people may complain because their block is in the armpit of the city and overall irrelevant but given the impact of this blizzard I think it was cleaned up exceptionally well.

The media overblew that story. The parts of Queens that weren't plowed were hit with BECS snow amounts of 28"-34" and some of those streets are so narrow that a plow can not fit. How does anyone expect the streets to be cleaned when a plow could not fit?

This was a BECS for Queens. People think it was just a normal snowstorm.

The media overblew that story. The parts of Queens that weren't plowed were hit with BECS snow amounts of 28"-34" and some of those streets are so narrow that a plow can not fit. How does anyone expect the streets to be cleaned when a plow could not fit?

This was a BECS for Queens. People think it was just a normal snowstorm.

That is a different thing, while full sized garbage truck and spreader size plows may not fit, the DSNY has normal sized pickups fixed with plows for those blocks. However this immense amount of snow probbably renders them inferior. IMO all of the cars parked on the street are really the problem, when streets are plowed the drivable width of the street is significantly narrowed.

That is a different thing, while full sized garbage truck and spreader size plows may not fit, the DSNY has normal sized pickups fixed with plows for those blocks. However this immense amount of snow probbably renders them inferior. IMO all of the cars parked on the street are really the problem, when streets are plowed the drivable width of the street is significantly narrowed.

The mayor and DSNY tried to roll out a new strategy for plowing the outer boroughs that they have not previously tested out. They stated this several time in post blizzard press conferences and interviews. That's where they went wrong. Granted, it was a lot of snow as stated by some people above but there's no reason why a specific area of Queens and the Bronx didn't get plowed but the rest of those boroughs did. You can't blame that on the fact we got 30" of snow. A blizzard like that wasn't the best time to roll out a new method of plowing streets in different orders.

The mayor and DSNY tried to roll out a new strategy for plowing the outer boroughs that they have not previously tested out. They stated this several time in post blizzard press conferences and interviews. That's where they went wrong. Granted, it was a lot of snow as stated by some people above but there's no reason why a specific area of Queens and the Bronx didn't get plowed but the rest of those boroughs did. You can't blame that on the fact we got 30" of snow. A blizzard like that wasn't the best time to roll out a new method of plowing streets in different orders.

"Sectoring" was used last year as well so thats not the problem. Having lived on a "tertiary " street in a quiet neighborhood in queens my whole life, the old method of hitting primary roads first then secondary and so on was worse. 96 and boxing day saw my block be impassible for days. Even moderate 6-12" events saw days pass before plows. People complain too much .

Archived