joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let it start snowing - and hard - before saying that. Still lots that can screw this up.

Amen.  We're on the good side of the forecast gradient now but that just means we have an 80% of hitting rather than the 50/50 shot from last night.  Don't count your snow before its snowed.

Here's what I posted to FB today.  To the tune of 'Dont Fence Me In':

Oh, give me snow, lots of snow falling from the skies above
Don't snow me in
Let me walk through a blizzard in the city that I love
Don't snow me in

Let me be by myself in the freezin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the Central Park trees
Make it hot in summer but I ask you please
Don't snow me in

Just turn me loose, let me wander ‘round the city
Underneath the snowy skies
In my snow boots, let me waddle over yonder
Till I I’m buried to my eyes

I want to stand on the street till the wind starts hauling
And gaze at the clouds till the snow starts falling
And I can't look at pavement and I can't stand salting
Don't snow me in

Mine was 96. My mother woke us up at like 4 am to see the blizzard conditions and i walked out to the end of the block and back.

Mine was 96 too

Feb. '78 for me.  Thought I was going to get blown away.  Visibility was about 50 feet, and the wind made that classic whistling sound.

God I'm old. :(

Mine was '93.  We had about 20-24" of snow with 50mph winds.  I remember not being able to see my house from a quarter-block away.

Wierdest storm I ever saw; 10 inches of snow covered several inches deep with solid ice. Couldn't snowblow it, couldn't plow it, couldn't shovel it. Schools shut for a week...I had to use a garden spade and loosen it up like I was turning over a new garden. First big storm I remember was 69, my brother and I made a tunnel under it. Next was Feb 78.

Hey all, former Long Islander (Seaford) stopping in...living near Rochester now (the land of almost daily light snowfalls, rarely anything really exciting like this event). Fascinating storm unfolding, but such a tough forecast. Hope you do well down there.

Feb 78 remains the best snowstorm I've ever experienced. Went off to college in 1980 (Rutgers, did experience the big 1983 storm), moved out of the area in 1984 so I have missed all of the more recent big storms. I remember many a night staring at the streetlights, waiting for storms to begin. The good old days!

Feb. '78 for me.  Thought I was going to get blown away.  Visibility was about 50 feet, and the wind made that classic whistling sound.

God I'm old. :(

'78 for me too, but I'm not nearly ready to be old.  And it was the wind that I most remembered.  This sites's been around forever and is still up and I am quoted on it about my proto-jebwalk in the wind:

http://wermenh.com/blizz78a.html

Archived