joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a good ole fashion foothills bust. They must be high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If y'all get under that band from ull that is currently in Tn. then you won't have a problem reaching 12".  Ask Big Frosty about being under the ull bands.

According to the HRRR, YES, it will fill in nicely with a HUGE moisture plume riding in from the Atlantic....

Check here...http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/HRRRSE_CUR/rloop.html

The HRRR has continually shown bands of precip pivoting over the NW corner of the state for the past several runs.  Yet, it has failed to materialize at this point.  The bands keep regenerating in GA and SC and slamming into the SW corner of the state, but they don't seem to want to budge to the east at all.  I'm not very hopeful at this point.

If y'all get under that band from ull that is currently in Tn. then you won't have a problem reaching 12".  Ask Big Frosty about being under the ull bands.

Yes best 4 hours of snow I've ever seen... Had 11 inches in 4 hours but had 8 up until that so ended up with 19 inces.... Thought I had a shot at something close to that again, but it's not looking like it. got 4-5 inches so far. been in a lull for 2-3 hours.  :cry:  lol

mcd0050.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0050
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   1047 AM CST FRI JAN 22 2016

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL AND NRN NC...FAR SRN VA

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 221647Z - 222245Z

SUMMARY...A MIX OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED
   ACROSS CNTRL AND NRN NC INTO SRN VA THIS AFTERNOON. PRECIPITATION
   RATES SHOULD REACH OR EXCEED 0.05 INCHES PER HOUR IN SOME AREAS.

DISCUSSION...LATEST WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOW AN UPPER-LEVEL LOW OVER
   WRN KY WITH A SHORTWAVE TROUGH ROTATING AROUND THE ERN SIDE OF THE
   SYSTEM EXTENDING FROM THE LOW CENTER SEWD ACROSS SC. WIDESPREAD
   PRECIPITATION IS OCCURRING ALONG AND AHEAD OF THIS FEATURE ACROSS
   THE CAROLINAS INTO VA WHERE STRONG LARGE-SCALE ASCENT IS PRESENT. AT
   THE SFC...TEMPS ARE IN THE 25 TO 30 F RANGE ACROSS MOST OF THE MCD
   AREA WITH FREEZING RAIN BEING REPORTED AT MANY LOCATIONS WITH SNOW
   IN THE APPALACHIAN FOOTHILLS. SFC TEMPS SHOULD ONLY WARM A FEW
   DEGREES F THIS AFTERNOON FROM CNTRL NC NWD INTO SRN VA ALLOWING MOST
   AREAS TO REMAIN BELOW FREEZING. AS WARM ADVECTION CONTINUES TO OCCUR
   IN THE LOW-LEVELS...FREEZING RAIN WILL CONTINUE TO BE POSSIBLE IN
   THE PIEDMONT OF NC AND SRN VA. SNOW IS OCCURRING ACROSS THE
   APPALACHIAN MTNS BUT SOME AREAS COULD CHANGEOVER TO SLEET AND
   FREEZING RAIN THIS AFTERNOON AS MID-LEVEL TEMPS WARM. PRECIPITATION
   RATES COULD EXCEED 0.05 INCHES PER HOUR WITHIN THE HEAVIER BANDS OF
   PRECIPITATION.

..BROYLES.. 01/22/2016

You talking about February 12th and 13 th 2014 snow?

Yes best 4 hours of snow I've ever seen... Had 11 inches in 4 hours but had 8 up until that so ended up with 19 inces.... Thought I had a shot at something close to that again, but it's not looking like it. got 4-5 inches so far. been in a lull for 2-3 hours.  :cry:  lol

I think you'll be alright.  Still a long ways to go w/ this storm.

looks like on the future radar the ull will pinwheel thru wnc mtns and put down heavy snow beginning around 6pm til sometime Sat. am  unreal, wow.  already at 9 inches in west asheville/candler area

My point forecast now reads through tonight 8-16" additional accumulation. I suppose they are betting on that pivot and ULL bands coming right back over this area. Sitting at 12" now so I will have lots of shoveling to do at 20-28" storm total.

I was just looking at that as you speak, looks the ull pinwheels right over wnc with Heavy Snowfall rates, at 9 now could end up with 15-20 if that heavy band goes thru tonight.

Just a note for you Triad peeps. The 12z Euro mauls us with the deformation band this evening from 00zish through maybe 08z. We'll see if it happens, but it's a lot of smow if it does. Doent sleep on the possibility. Remember what happened to Big Frosty and company in February 2014.

Yes was looking at future radar brings the ull right over wnc mtns. and points east.

Just a note for you Triad peeps. The 12z Euro mauls us with the deformation band this evening from 00zish through maybe 08z. We'll see if it happens, but it's a lot of smow if it does. Doent sleep on the possibility. Remember what happened to Big Frosty and company in February 2014.

Euro sucked and GFS for this storm! What's the NAM showing! It nailed today's event!

The Feb 2014 deform band was the greatest thing I'd ever seen.  Went from 4" to 11" in no time.

Archived