CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one is changing to rain. Stop looking at snows maps.

The 0 line is well S of L I with over an inch of liquid w 55mph wind gusts.

It is there and probably along the NJ coast you would see blizzard warnings if the guidance stood.

The heaviest axis may fall to your west but the banding too does not get figured out until we are within 24 hours.

Do not use Snow maps for this .

Only a 2.5 foot surge is necessary to reach moderate coastal flooding since we have the high astro tide Saturday.

That's a major problem because if the low tucks into the coast like that , the onshore flow would be ripping. Could be major to severe coastal flooding.

Seems like a strange solution to have eastern pa cash in like that unless the coast was going to change to rain

The storm's dynamics max out over E PA, WV, MD and VA on this run. East from there the low stacks and dynamics become spottier along with a possible dry slot. Look up Jan 25, 2000 to see what I mean.

Major tidal flooding would start in the 3-4 foot surge range. That could easily be reached with an onshore flow of 45-55kt

coinciding withe the time of high tide. I can remember being in the West End of Long Beach for the March 93 storm.

The surge came in and floated the whole snowpack like icebergs. What didn't melt refroze in irregular shapes

as the cold air came in behind the storm.

I remember that too, one of my first weather memories. I could definitely see some bad coastal flooding happening, especially with a more tucked in and stalled low which would mean more of an onshore flow. The back bays for sure I can see taking it on the chin.

Archived