Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

The high flattens and retreats.. No

Way this is suppressed

Its still far enough out that you can't eliminate any possibility. The most likely outcome right now is significant snow event, but it wouldn't take a lot for the confluence north of the storm to be stronger and push the low ENE faster. Or, the stall can be in a bad place and push warm air into the coast, or there could be a nasty dry slot. I'd wait at least another 24 hours before really getting excited.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying my hardest NOT to weenie here, but I've never seen this much agreement, this far out... Ops, ensembles etc...it's quit insane

I guess when the storm signal is big enough, it's easier for the models to see this far out. The Euro locked in 

right around 120 hrs for the February 2013 event and held serve through to the storm. But I can't remember

the last time all the models were showing something similar to this 120 hrs out. The GFS is usually weaker and

more suppressed than the Euro and this time frame with major East Coast storms.

Looking at the mid-atlantic (understanding that there is a chance it doesn't come up the coast,) is there any scenario where they don't get a big storm realistically.

Yeah if this pulls a March 2001. Many places down there could still get shafted by a northwest move of only a slight bit. Remember that down there near the coast a 040-050 wind isn't exactly good, they almost need to be 010 so they don't have nearly the margin for error on track as up here

Yeah if this pulls a March 2001. Many places down there could still get shafted by a northwest move of only a slight bit. Remember that down there near the coast a 040-050 wind isn't exactly good, they almost need to be 010 so they don't have nearly the margin for error on track as up here

Thanks!

I remember that March 1993 was pretty spot-on in terms of models catching it well in advance. I don't think January 1996 was as pronounced, if my memory serves correct.

Models tends to do better with Miller As and this also doesn't exactly involve phasing of multiple short waves which makes it easier. 1996 was forecast very well by the Euro but the Euro only ran once a day then and people generally didn't give as much credence to it as they do now so it wasn't considered to be a likely solution when it was showing a hit 3-4 days out

Models tends to do better with Miller As and this also doesn't exactly involve phasing of multiple short waves which makes it easier. 1996 was forecast very well by the Euro but the Euro only ran once a day then and people generally didn't give as much credence to it as they do now so it wasn't considered to be a likely solution when it was showing a hit 3-4 days out

Thank you for the reminder! One of those things that Social Media giveth, and Social Media taketh away. My memory is fuzzy from a time when my only outlet was TWC; now, I have this and meteorologists I can follow on FB/Twitter.

Models tends to do better with Miller As and this also doesn't exactly involve phasing of multiple short waves which makes it easier. 1996 was forecast very ,.*well by the Euro but the Euro only ran once a day then and people generally didn't give as much credence to it as they do now so it wasn't considered to be a likely solution when it was showing a hit 3-4 days out

Yeah, the AVN didn't have it until we were within 48 hours.

Edit: or was it the MRF?

Archived